• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to ELR & Spotter Scope Recommendation

cgilbert37

Private
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2020
Hi All,

I'm new to civilian long range shooting (attended the Sniper's leader course about 10 years ago).

I seem to be doing fine ~1000 yards but my current spotter scope is weak. I've never owned a good one and don't mind spending money on something decent as I tend to keep things for a while.

I was looking at this Celestron 52268 C90 Mak Spotting scope:

Overkill? Can anyone make a better recommendation?

Thanks

This is more what you should be looking at, in my experience/opinion:

Though personally I prefer the fixed 22x eye-piece, with the integral MIL (or MOA, if that's how you roll) reticle.

You're not trying to see bullet holes at distance, but mirage, trace, and impacts.

Reactions: Kalthoff
You should let us know what range you are considering spending on a scope; since you asked about a $211 scope and got recommended a $2,500 setup. Seems like most recommended equipment on this kind of thread is always top end stuff. There is nothing wrong with that, just might help speed things up if you set boundaries.

Mike

Budget?
Max distance?

I use a bushy legend T, certainly not premium glass but the reticle is a great help and I’ve spotted hits now to 3200 yards with it.

Reactions: TripleBull
Consider a good pair of 15x bino’s as well. I see a lot of shooters are moving away from spotters, including me!

If you're going to be behind them for extended periods eye strain becomes an issue. I use a pair of Kowa 77's made up into a pair of big eyes. Expensive set of binos I've used for a long time. They would be one of the last things I would sell. I have 20X and 30X wide angle eye pieces. I have another set of old(good) Bushnell's with 20X eye pieces for anyone tagging along. I can sit behind them all day glassing with no eye strain. I won't get into a coincidental range finder that never needs batteries and if you can see it you can range it.

If you have deep pockets I'd suggest this.

Hi,

In the ELR world people are not swapping over to binos unless they are getting a pair of "Big Eyes"....No way a 15x pair of binos are replacing a spotting scope in the ELR realm.

Sincerely,
Theis
I digress and agree with you. I saw the op mention a 1000 yards and was thinking 1k and in. Guess we are in the ELR forum never mind me op, I do think a good pair of bino’s are great to have in your kit, but if your headed far north of 1k in range you‘ll be heading north of $1k (probably way north of) for a good spotter. I’m headed for some caffeine to get my brain started, good luck, carry on!

I currently have a midrange spotter and seldom use it. It's not as good as the glass on some of my rifles, so I tend to use those instead. I got to play around with a 12-40 Leupold Gold Ring while doing some training and fell in love with it. At some point I'd like to get the 20-60 with the Impact reticle, but it's a chunk of change and I always seem to find other things to spend on first.

I just ordered the new model of Vortex Viper HD in the 20-60x85 (or whatever they come in) and the MRAD reticle eye piece. The new Viper HD’s come with the last generation of Razor glass in them from what I’ve heard. I like the 33 power reticle vs. the 22 power version available with the Razor HD.

I have yet to receive the scope yet since it is backordered, but I cannot wait. I have looked through the last gen Razor the other day and was very happy with the image quality.

Thanks a lot for the feedback guys. It really helped. I ended up with a Leupold MK4. Very very happy with it.

JoesNoze.png

I just ordered the new model of Vortex Viper HD in the 20-60x85 (or whatever they come in) and the MRAD reticle eye piece. The new Viper HD’s come with the last generation of Razor glass in them from what I’ve heard. I like the 33 power reticle vs. the 22 power version available with the Razor HD.

I have yet to receive the scope yet since it is backordered, but I cannot wait. I have looked through the last gen Razor the other day and was very happy with the image quality.
Get that viper yet? Curious how you like it. Im in the same boat and thinking for the price its a solid spotter. If I were to step up from that, I think I would end up with the NF TS80. I spent a few hours behind one a couple weeks ago and its amazing!

I did get the Viper. So far I like it. I haven’t really been able to put it through it’s paces yet though. I was spotting some shooters at 630 yards and the weather was overcast and light snow. The spotter worked well.

I have looked through the NF scope too. They are supposedly made by Meopta. They are a good choice too. I don’t know which is better because I saw it a couple weeks before I got mine. But it was a nice scope. It did not have a reticle either.

I’d say if you can find a hensoldt spotter 60 that’d be the way to go
Can see solid hit confirmation at two miles.... it’s amazing and a good investment. They don’t loose value