• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition New to F Class

TAMU20

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2017
Centennial, Colorado
I am looking at competing for the first time in f class more specifically FT/R with my 308 bolt gun. What extra equipment would you suggest for someone starting out?

Can't help you on your match locations. I'm on the east coast. There's a thread on accurate shooter that pertains to f class locations. I'll see if I can find it.

Once on the line, pay attention to the other shooters and their habits, don’t be afraid of asking questions either and learn learn learn.
Hope this helps and have fun

Get a REAL ftr bipod ..like joypod Phoenix etc

These help but are not necessary ,.especially when you are just getting you feet wet. Shoot a few matches and see if you can lay behind a couple different bipods to see what you like.

Something else you'll need, a good 100y zero. Then, make sure you have enough elevation adjustment in your scope to dial up to whatever range the match is. I would want at least 42MOA up for a 308. You won't need close to that in CO but it's good to have some extra. If you can confirm or have confirmed come ups at distance you'll be ahead of the game.

A mirage band for the barrel will help. Long strings put off a lot of barrel mirage. This could be a real mirage band, a piece of blind with velcro dots or even a light shirt draped over the barrel.(make sure it doesn't migrate in from of the muzzle) does not have to be fancy, just keep the barrel heat out of the field of view.

Just getting started? Just go with the minimum and have some funs.
I'm a F-Class Noob. My 22 Nosler puts me in F-Open. Ain't gonna win with a 22N but I luvs shootin.
Went yesterday to a 600yd match. Range fogged in until about 11:30. Sold My Bald Eagle Rest to a guy then realized all I had brought was a Chinese Bipod. Oops.
Shot 96.83% -17X for 60 shots and my personal best string ever.
Just look at all that high end equipment :)
600yd-off-a-bipod.jpg
95, 98, 99, 99, 94, 96.

Last edited:
And don't be afraid to ask other shooters questions. I shoot at a range with some of the top shooters in the country and they go out of their way to help a new shooter. Almost everything you will learn or want to buy they have done before. They want you to succeed and come back as it is the only way the sport will survive.
Have fun and welcome to F/TR.

Small clipboard with paper and a pen for plotting shots, recording wind estimates, scope settings, etc...