• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Forum, 6.5 grendel optic opinions

dcdenney

Private
Minuteman
Jul 7, 2021
GA, USA
Hello,

I have been aware of this forum for some time, but I have never ventured in. So here I am. I recently acquired a odin works built ar15 in 6.5 grendel. 20" barrel DMR profile. I currently have a surefire procomp on the end until I finally decide on what can I wish to purchase. I have been in the firearms business for sixteen years or so. Mostly hunting firearms and past few years selling mostly handguns.

Since stepping away from retail the optics market as boomed and there is so much more out there then when I was outfitting hunting rifles for folks. So I am just getting folks opinions from on hand experience for research.

I have been looking at optics from Vortex, Burris, Leupold and so on. Mostly 3-15x50mm (30MM tubes) to put on this rifle. I have been tossing up the pros and cons of a "traditional style" optic or a LPVO. Has anyone here had enough time on a similar rifle with either optic to share their experiences?

I do live in Georgia. I have regular access to ranges ranging from barely 100 yards to a private club with 600 yards. Middle to south GA farms will allow farther distances when shooting pigs or going to possible matches.

I’ve got a 20” .223W upper from WOA. Has a 3-15 PST gen 2 atop. Shoots great and is a niche rifle. I use it for fun. Its a precision rifle, so I use it as such. I take advantage of its extra mass and shoot it as accurately as possible. The scope magnification goes with this. I basically run it like you’d run a bolt rifle. And thats my use for it, it currently fills my precision rifle role.

My primary AR is a 12.5” chambered in 5.56. It wears an SWFA 1-6 HD optic. That rifle is primarily used sub 50 yards. The optic again, reflects what the intent of the rifle is, a defensive carbine to give accurate fire out to its effective distance.

When I build an 8” 300blk/10.5” 5.56, that will wear a non-magnified optic.

The point of saying this is to say define your use for the rifle and pick the appropriate optic that is best suited for the task. No one can make that decision but you, for you know how you are to employ the rifle.

The ‘what is your primary or intended use’ question applies to all optics, regardless of caliber. I have a handful of Grendel’s and most wear Bushnell LRTS/LRHS variations, and are very forgiving of eyebox, very good glass and very useable reticles. For hunting, a 3-12 works quite well, for longer range, the 4.5-18. That said, have also used 3-15 Weaver EMDR, an SWFA 3-9 and 3-15 successfully, though reticles are aging, but still competent. Lots of options for you out there, and with some newer models pending, maybe a bargain or two if you watch our good venders and PX.

My 18" Grendel is equipped with a 3-15x SWFA scope and a piggybacked red dot to be a mid-weight do-everything rifle. Define the role, set your budget, then you'll be able to pick the right optic.

Reactions: dcdenney
Pigs at less than 100y is substantially different than 2moa targets at 600y. A LPVO would be great for the former, but less than optimal for the latter. Likewise, a 5-20 or 6-24 is pretty great for the latter, but less than optimal for the former. I have a 22” Grendel set up for prs style events with a 6-24 vortex pst, and a 18” Grendel set up more for hunting with a 3-9, though I think I am going to switch that with a 1-8...

I've been shooting my 6.5Grendel pretty much since it came out. One of the better scopes for it that is not too far from your price range is SWFA SS HD 3-9x42. Grendel can reach pretty far out, so FFP reticle and reliable turrets are good to have.

Not a Grendel but an ARC with 24" barrel. I stuck on a 4.5-27X after getting advice from ILya for the type of shooting I do which is trying for small groups on paper. The magnification helps.

fTbJAfGh.jpg

Run a Vortex Viper on my 24" FrankenGrendel. Too heavy for hunting and built as more if a bench rifle. Haven't had the chance for anything over 250 but the higher magnification is helpful on paper targets.
20210303_202853.jpg

I'm looking at grabbing another upper for purely night hunting and replacing my thermal with the athlon helos btr 2-12x on my grendel.

Should bridge the gap as do all

Reactions: drewthebrave
I'm looking at grabbing another upper for purely night hunting and replacing my thermal with the athlon helos btr 2-12x on my grendel.

Should bridge the gap as do all
I'm pretty well set on optics right now, but if I needed a new one, that Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x is near the top of my wish list (along with the more expensive Ares ETR 1-10x). I've been really impressed with the Ares BTR Gen2 2.5-15x, and I think they're knocking it out of the park with their new reticles.

Reactions: YotaEer
I'm pretty well set on optics right now, but if I needed a new one, that Helos BTR Gen2 2-12x is near the top of my wish list (along with the more expensive Ares ETR 1-10x). I've been really impressed with the Ares BTR Gen2 2.5-15x, and I think they're knocking it out of the park with their new reticles.

I've loved multiple Cronus and one Ares ETR. Waiting on my backordered Helos 4-20 to ship for use on a 17 HMR. Overall, love the bang for the buck with Athlon, great products.

Reactions: drewthebrave