• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Kestrel

Tack425

Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Apr 19, 2011
    California
    Gentlemen,

I turn to all of you for guidance.I have used a Kestrel for many years in my Fire Department and USAR operations, but have yet to use it in the long range world.I am looking to get a LRF and Kestrel dedicated for my hobby, but I am a bit confused with all the options available. My range can get out to 1000. I have been using Shooter and Trasol apps for my calls thus far and just downloading the local weather through the apps.
    Equipment:
    AIAX 6.5 24" shooting 147ELD Hornady with a NF 7-35F1, also have a 20" 308 barrel for it shooting FGMM 168
    DTSRS A124" 6.5 shooting 147ELD Hornady with aNF 5-25F1, also have 20" .308 barrel for it shootingFGMM 168
    I have yet to chrono the ammo and barrels, just going off of the box information (I know there are variances but just don't have the equipment)
    I was thinking about mounting the Kestrel, LRF and my NF spotter or my Leupold spotter together on my tripod.For now LRF binos are not an option for me.

I am looking get a Kestrel 4500AB or 5700,with link. Ultimately would like to pair it with a LRF (open for suggestions). The spousal unit has put me on a bit of a budget, but buy once cry once too. So given what I have in equipment so far, what should I end up with?

Thank you in advance and I look forward to learning more. Additionally if I have this in the wrong forum please let me know.

Last edited:
    I’m leaning torwards the sig kilo 3000 for lrf binos that pair with kestrel 5700 elite ballistics, range goes to the kestrel and firing solution goes to the binos. Seems like a simple and effective solution.

4500AB is no longer in production. To link with a compatible LRF you will need a 5700 with LInk. They are $399 and can later be upgraded to the Elite if you need the 30 rifle storage, mult-targets , range card, trans sonic truing with DSF and access to the AB custom curve library. If you prefer Hornady 4ODF calculations, that Kestrel sits between the 5700 and Elite with features and runs $499.

The list of compatible LRF can be found here: https://kestrelballistics.com/support/

I resisted getting a 5700 for years.
    Now that I have one it’s definitely in my must have list.
    The Sig and Leica are well known if you want connectivity to the kestrel.
    My LRF (Leupold 2800) doesn’t have BT, I just manually plug the range in.