• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long actions with a few ?'s

LikeADirtBoss

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jan 4, 2021
Boulder CO, USA
Building a new long action hunting rifle and considering the MDT HNT26 chassis which says it can take a 3.850 magazine. Build is going to be a 7 PRC which is supposed to work in normal 300WM magazines which I believe are 3.715. Which magazines do I order for 7 PRC and will the MDT accept any magazines besides the 3.850 magazines?
J

Building a new long action hunting rifle and considering the MDT HNT26 chassis which says it can take a 3.850 magazine. Build is going to be a 7 PRC which is supposed to work in normal 300WM magazines which I believe are 3.715. Which magazines do I order for 7 PRC and will the MDT accept any magazines besides the 3.850 magazines?
J
The long action HNT26 will only accept the 3.850” mags. Shouldn’t be a deal breaker though, just buy the 300win 3.850” mags and see how it runs, will probably be fine. Worst case, the mag lips might need a little tweaking.

With the last long action I built, I went with the 3.850 CIP mags for reloading longer COL rounds, like the Berger 215's and 220's with 300 WM.

The only thing you need to look out for with the longer mags is that the feed ramp does not stick out past the magazine wall, or you will get miss feeds and bullets pushed into the case. So, see if the action that you plain to use will have the clearance or allow you to trim the feed ramp flush with the mag wall with a dermal tool.

That is a great question.
If your "Mission" will allow, go with the 3.715 and stay somewhat standard.
Should you can see yourself in the ELR arena and can justify the need for a longer mag then go with the 3.850.
I have both and keep them well marked so, should a grab and go situation arise, I know what mag goes with which weapon.
Best of luck.

Reactions: Balor
What’s the difference between the 300 PRC mags and the 300 WM magazines from MDT?
My best guess is the feed lips are bent a little different, but if you look at the questions on the 300WM magazine, a few people have asked if 7MM PRC will work with them and a rep from MDT said yes, they will.

You might want to email them and ask what the differences are and if the hint 26 chassis will take a smaller mag size.

Reactions: LikeADirtBoss
I don't know much but I kinda figured the smaller magazine would flop around in a bigger hole.
Everyone here started out "not knowing much"... A few will tell you differently.
Hang in there.
1700329875803.jpeg

The HNT26 in “rem700” long action will only take the 3.850” mags. 3.715 will not work.
The only long action HNT26 that takes a different mag is the Tikka version which takes their 3.56” mag. Which would actually work pretty well for a 7prc.

I dont think you would have any trouble feeding from a CIP length magazine vs standard. I am not sure if 3.85 might need the feed ramp on a 700LA notched. That would be about my only concern anyway, at 3.85 will the bullets catch on the bottom of the feed ramp.

The body of the magazine is longer and they latch on the back, so a shorter magazine will not latch in the longer mag well.

I dont think you would have any trouble feeding from a CIP length magazine vs standard. I am not sure if 3.85 might need the feed ramp on a 700LA notched. That would be about my only concern anyway, at 3.85 will the bullets catch on the bottom of the feed ramp.

The body of the magazine is longer and they latch on the back, so a shorter magazine will not latch in the longer mag well.
Thanks everyone for educating me up. Gonna pull the trigger sort a speak.
J

Reactions: Hobo Hilton