• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long range... Help me choose

sweggypepper

Private
Minuteman
Jun 29, 2020
I am looking to get my first long range rifle, I've spent my life shooting ar's both carbines and "RECCE" type setups. I am looking for an out of the box all-rounder. Price wise I am all over the place, so I will do my best to explain each.
Daniel Defense Delta 5: I have 2 DD Recce builds and am very familiar with the company, however I have seen mixed reviews as to the ergonomics and quality of these rifles.
Bergara Premier MG LITE/ Weatherby 307 MDT: Put these as one bc of how similar they are, forums seem to like them as packable mountain rifles.
Gunwerks Verdict: Seems to be turnkey 1000+ yards which I think would fit my style.

All of these would be chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, with lots of flat range shooting, both prone, tripod and in tighter spaces. It would also be thrown into a pack and taken into the Oregon wilderness, looking for both a "tac driver" and hunting rifle.
Thanks

If you can get the Gunwerks I would go for that. The company business model is to offer just what you're looking for.

A friend bought the Bergara and is very happy. We shot a Frank and Marc class together and his rifle hammered out to 1,100 yds. The brand new rifle never hiccuped in three long days of shooting. I have a pic of his pile of brass the final day. Looked like he held off the Chinese at Chosin single-handed.

In fact he just bought the Bergara .22 LR little brother for a plinker/trainer. So he’s a happy customer

I've had a few Bergara's now and for the money they make a nice rifle. Of those you listed the GW is going to be far and away the best of the bunch.

I am looking to get my first long range rifle, I've spent my life shooting ar's both carbines and "RECCE" type setups. I am looking for an out of the box all-rounder. Price wise I am all over the place, so I will do my best to explain each.
Daniel Defense Delta 5: I have 2 DD Recce builds and am very familiar with the company, however I have seen mixed reviews as to the ergonomics and quality of these rifles.
Bergara Premier MG LITE/ Weatherby 307 MDT: Put these as one bc of how similar they are, forums seem to like them as packable mountain rifles.
Gunwerks Verdict: Seems to be turnkey 1000+ yards which I think would fit my style.

All of these would be chambered in 6.5 creedmoor, with lots of flat range shooting, both prone, tripod and in tighter spaces. It would also be thrown into a pack and taken into the Oregon wilderness, looking for both a "tac driver" and hunting rifle.
Thanks

Your price and budget is all over the board. Stick around in this thread long enough and you'll inevitably be talked into buying one of the big name actions, a proof prefit, some PRS chassis you likely dont need, then sending it to a popular smith to chamber, and a 4k-6k scope because anything less is just trash from the factory floor swept into a box.

Try going to a local club or match and asking to try a few things. Then decide on a budget and stick to it.

Im not even sure what "would fit my style" means...but if you've never touched the rifle or seen it in person, spending 7k+ on it off the rip sounds like a pretty foolish move.

There's no such thing as "out of the box all arounder". You either want a hunting rifle (light) or a long range rifle (heavy).
Its like the idea of all-season tires. They dont do bad weather OR performance well.

Also...try reading this thread, plenty of sound advice: https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/first-rifle-advice-needed.7179856/

Reactions: tex68w
Howa 1500 in 6.5 creed barreled action
Krg bravo stock

Then you can tinker with what you like don't like, add subtract.

Send the rest of your money to me for safekeeping

Reactions: AleksanderSuave