• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long range! R700 build

jlovell11b

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2020
I have started acquiring parts to build a budget R700 in .308. So far this is the part list.
R700 sps .308
Vortex Razor Gen2 4.5-27x56
Spuhr Sp-4006
H&S Precision S/a Stock with adj. LOP and Cheek riser
Criterion MTU contour 26' barrel threaded w/ a VG6 Gamma brake

Things left to purchase include a rail, BDM and a bipod. I am wondering what kind of accuracy and range I could expect out of this setup. Did I go overkill on anything? anything I should do differently? Should I have the receiver screws upgraded to #8 and the action trued? Like the title states I am completely new to long range, my shooting experience only goes out to 300m while in the army. As you can see I have a lot of questions. I want to purchase a range finder and spotting scope next but completely unsure on the range this will be able to reach. Thanks!

I have started acquiring parts to build a budget R700 in .308. So far this is the part list.
R700 sps .308
Vortex Razor Gen2 4.5-27x56
Spuhr Sp-4006
H&S Precision S/a Stock with adj. LOP and Cheek riser
Criterion MTU contour 26' barrel threaded w/ a VG6 Gamma brake

Things left to purchase include a rail, BDM and a bipod. I am wondering what kind of accuracy and range I could expect out of this setup. Did I go overkill on anything? anything I should do differently? Should I have the receiver screws upgraded to #8 and the action trued? Like the title states I am completely new to long range, my shooting experience only goes out to 300m while in the army. As you can see I have a lot of questions. I want to purchase a range finder and spotting scope next but completely unsure on the range this will be able to reach. Thanks!
Dump the Spuhr Sp-4006 and get two piece bases and on your barrel keep it at 20"

Mike R.

I did plan to cutting the barrel down some just not expecting to hear so short? Also from my understanding the one piece mounts are better then the rings? Any reasoning you have to offload them?

I’ve done something similar to this a couple of times, here are my comments:

1. The only thing I don’t see on your list is a decent trigger. I shot a factory trigger for a few years and kicked myself for taking so long to get a good trigger once I finally got one.
2. Consider 6.5 Creedmoor. If it’s too late, no worries, but I’m a big believer in “Anything a 308 Winchester can do a 6.5 Creedmoor can do better.” If you load your own ammo, consider 260 Rem or 6.5x47 Lapua.
3. Also consider a chassis instead of a traditional stock. If you’re set on a stock, consider one that’s mag fed.
4. If you’re having a gunsmith spin on a barrel for you, you might as well have the action trued.

Edit: Looking at what PRS shooters are using, most have 24-26 inch barrels, I tend to agree this line of thinking. I went to a competition with a buddy shooting a 308 with a 20 inch barrel. Inside 800 yards he was money but after 800 he rarely hit. Next competition he showed up with a 26 inch barrel.

I hope this helps, let me know if this sparks any more questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: jlovell11b
Yes! My mistake I will update, trigger tech diamond.

As for the 6.5 I debated it.. i really did. However it came down to the .308 being a cartridge in my inventory. As well as supplies for reloading. So for now I'll stick with the .308. Another build maybe 6.5.
I honestly couldn't find a chassis in my price range that I found legitimately appealing to me. The mag fed one wouldve been nice. And H&S does sell bdm for there stocks. Extremely pricy and will probaly end up running a magpul kit and altering the stock to fit. Thanks!

Yes! My mistake I will update, trigger tech diamond.

As for the 6.5 I debated it.. i really did. However it came down to the .308 being a cartridge in my inventory. As well as supplies for reloading. So for now I'll stick with the .308. Another build maybe 6.5.
I honestly couldn't find a chassis in my price range that I found legitimately appealing to me. The mag fed one wouldve been nice. And H&S does sell bdm for there stocks. Extremely pricy and will probaly end up running a magpul kit and altering the stock to fit. Thanks!

Awesome! Looks like you’re set up for success. Good luck and good shooting!

Instead of the TT Diamond, you want this:

.... As for the 6.5 I debated it.. i really did. However it came down to the .308 being a cartridge in my inventory. As well as supplies for reloading. So for now I'll stick with the .308. ....

IMHO this makes sense iff :
a) the cartridges in your inventory are match quality cartridges, and
b) the reloading components you have are what you would use to make your precision ammo.

So, tell us what you got.

Instead of the TT Diamond, you want this:

Very convenient who the seller is... lol I haven't looked into that one at all. Just seemed like the tt diamond was the general consensus king..

IMHO this makes sense iff :
a) the cartridges in your inventory are match quality cartridges, and
b) the reloading components you have are what you would use to make your precision ammo.

So, tell us what you got.
I purchased as complete reloading setup from a friend. Came with 9mm .45 .223 and .308 dies. Around 10 5gal buckets of mostly lake city brass. And several bags of starline match .308. I think totaling 500 cases. I do plan to just long range plink. So the nato cartridges will do well for that. I cant remember the exact bullets I got with it. Im sure they aren't super fancy. But like I said i had the other components already. I do not have any powder at this time..not sure if anyone does.

To me if you're not mounting crap on your rings I don't see the point in Spuhr or the price. Good rings vs Spuhr prices will pay most of the cost of your bottom metal.

You have a solid equipment list. Don't listen to the 6.5 fan boys... I made fun of the 308 fan boys back in the day and now the 6.5 fans are almost just as ridiculous. 308 is still a good choice.

TT Diamond is a good trigger. Just be careful with the light pull weights it offers. I've seen way too many shooters set these triggers so light they are scared to even touch the trigger as it goes off as soon as they do. Easy way to develop a bad case of trigger slap.

I did plan to cutting the barrel down some just not expecting to hear so short? Also from my understanding the one piece mounts are better then the rings? Any reasoning you have to offload them?
One-piece rails stress the Remington 700 receivers plus its more difficult to top load your platform. It’s the accumulation of errors that cause accuracy issues and for Tac Ops I usually don’t use them. Now if you have a custom action with a built-in rail system knock yourself out…

But what would I know ;)

Mike R.

I can only comment on a few things. And please, take what I say with a few grains of salt

If the barrel is shouldered you’ll need to send that in as well to be matched to a blueprinted action, unless it’s a remage style prefit with a barrel nut. And since you are new, any accuracy gain likely won’t be noticeable.

Your setup should be fairly competent with good factory ammo. If you reload(I’m of the opinion every serious shooter should) you’ll be able to either A) create much more consistent ammo, 2) create ammo that will stretch to farther targets or, D) both of the previous points.

To me if you're not mounting crap on your rings I don't see the point in Spuhr or the price. Good rings vs Spuhr prices will pay most of the cost of your bottom metal.

You have a solid equipment list. Don't listen to the 6.5 fan boys... I made fun of the 308 fan boys back in the day and now the 6.5 fans are almost just as ridiculous. 308 is still a good choice.

TT Diamond is a good trigger. Just be careful with the light pull weights it offers. I've seen way too many shooters set these triggers so light they are scared to even touch the trigger as it goes off as soon as they do. Easy way to develop a bad case of trigger slap.
You do make some very good points. Along with Mike. I will consider switching over. It might not happen. Immediately as I did drop some cash on the spuhr mount.
One-piece rails stress the Remington 700 receivers plus its more difficult to top load your platform. It’s the accumulation of errors that cause accuracy issues and for Tac Ops I usually don’t use them. Now if you have a custom action with a built-in rail system knock yourself out…

But what would I know ;)

Mike R.
I never thought about the action itself. The thought of the forcing a twist on the action does make me sick. I chose the one peice because it can be machined from a single hole. Meaning the the two rings and perfectly square with one another. But the points you've made seem suggest that doesn't matter if the base is off.. crap..

I can only comment on a few things. And please, take what I say with a few grains of salt

If the barrel is shouldered you’ll need to send that in as well to be matched to a blueprinted action, unless it’s a remage style prefit with a barrel nut. And since you are new, any accuracy gain likely won’t be noticeable.

Your setup should be fairly competent with good factory ammo. If you reload(I’m of the opinion every serious shooter should) you’ll be able to either A) create much more consistent ammo, 2) create ammo that will stretch to farther targets or, D) both of the previous points.
It is in fact a remage barrel. I am in no way expecting me to be a excellent shoot right out of the gate. So I definitely understand what you are saying about noticeable accuracy. Yes, all work will be done by a GS. I will probably be waiting on Area 419 to get moved into their new shop next year.

Reactions: The D
There’s plenty of guys on here who’ll give you full value for your Spuhr if you decide to switch to two-piece. (Ignore @MikeRTacOps advice at your peril... 😆)

I reckon i have alot to learn about this community. I feel like the scrawny kid in prison.. hah no, I know everyone is trying to help but I wanna learn to! So all I ask is you school me if you have changes you would do!

I’m with you. Drinking from the snipers Hide fire hose.

I would pile in the 6.5cm bandwagon if it wasn’t for the myriad actual experts on here (@308pirate @XLR308 @lowlight @MikeRTacOps @Steel head etc) who keep embarrassing us noobs proving the 308 is still a tremendously capable cartridge.

🤣🤣🤣 I am no expert just an older hard headed fart that has done things the wrong way long enough to figure out what works for me.
Everyday I wake up with a pulse I learn something new just like you.

Reactions: DRAGON64
With today 308 bullet selection, you don’t really need 6.5 to start your new hobby.

Reactions: DRAGON64
It is in fact a remage barrel. I am in no way expecting me to be a excellent shoot right out of the gate. So I definitely understand what you are saying about noticeable accuracy. Yes, all work will be done by a GS. I will probably be waiting on Area 419 to get moved into their new shop next year.
Since you’re new and you are having a remage system built, it would be a good idea to get comfortable swapping your own barrels(at your own pace of course). The beauty of that style is not needing to send the gun to a ‘smith every time, you just need to have a barrel threaded and chambered. It will significantly cut down any lost time in the future. And you could get at least another barrel chambered in something trainer -ish if need be. Or if you are a gear whore like me(my plans, at least), you can have a quiver of barrels in a bunch of different cartridges

But what would I know ;)

Mike R.
And I would be listening to Mike. He build the finest 700 based 308 there are. Experience is hard earned and he’s giving it away for all who will listen

I'll do you a SOLID when I send you a Tac Ops Stock pack I'll throw in a set of my two piece 24 MOA bases with Birdsong Black-T finish as well...

How does that sound ?

Mike R.
I really appreciate it Mike. I hope I'm not coming off as arrogant in any of this. I am just truly new the forum and to long range. I do appreciate all the comments. Now that i have a better understanding of who's who. Ill be more mindful.

I really appreciate it Mike. I hope I'm not coming off as arrogant in any of this. I am just truly new the forum and to long range. I do appreciate all the comments. Now that i have a better understanding of who's who. Ill be more mindful.
It's all good zero worries and I'll be dropping my 24 MOA Two Piece bases and stock pack in the mail this week :)

Mike R.