• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to long range shooting but not to fitness...

bm11

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 18, 2010
Maine
Just figured I would throw that out there, if anyone has anything to run past me, I have been into the "fitness" scene for quite a while now, and know a fair bit about dieting and lifting. Not an expert perhaps, but pretty close. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any diet or exercise questions.

Me:

08-05-09004.jpg

Re: New to long range shooting but not to fitness...

Lift as much weight as possiable as often as possiable and eat everything you can get your hands on ...well thats what I do , not that it works.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bm11

1974 called and they want their kitchen back.

Seriously though, good balance, symmetry. How's the balance in the legs and calves?

</div></div>Lol, I'll tell my wife you said that, I think that is the exact year the house was built, though the kitchen has been updated.

As for the legs and calfs- yes, well balanced and proportional. My quads don't get the super freaky look because of my height, even though they measure big. They are the last thing to get lean. I do have good calves. I didn't post leg pics because they would have been taken in undies... but I did raw squat (no belt or knee wraps) 550 this offseason, and was on track for an 800 pound equipped squat at 275 lbs- I was messing around with a bit of powerlifting just for shits. Thought I would shoot for breaking the state deadlift record as I was getting close. I tore my pec in training though and never got around to competing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">bm11

1974 called and they want their kitchen back.

Seriously though, good balance, symmetry. How's the balance in the legs and calves?

</div></div>Lol, I'll tell my wife you said that, I think that is the exact year the house was built, though the kitchen has been updated.

As for the legs and calfs- yes, well balanced and proportional. My quads don't get the super freaky look because of my height, even though they measure big. They are the last thing to get lean. I do have good calves. I didn't post leg pics because they would have been taken in undies... but I did raw squat (no belt or knee wraps) 550 this offseason, and was on track for an 800 pound equipped squat at 275 lbs- I was messing around with a bit of powerlifting just for shits. Thought I would shoot for breaking the state deadlift record as I was getting close. I tore my pec in training though and never got around to competing. </div></div>

i partially tore my left pec a few years back in the gayest way ever!!!

at the time i had a raw bench of a little over 500.....i was 1 week out from a contest doing a plate and a quarter on a hammer strength incline....RIIIPPPPP...felt like i was stabbed....would have never thought i would tear a muscle under such little stress...

you cant even tell it was messed up now....i would rather tear my pec 10 times than to go through the treatment ever again...

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

at the time i had a raw bench of a little over 500.....i was 1 week out from a contest doing a plate and a quarter on a hammer strength incline....RIIIPPPPP...felt like i was stabbed....would have never thought i would tear a muscle under such little stress...

you cant even tell it was messed up now....i would rather tear my pec 10 times than to go through the treatment ever again...

bench </div></div>What did you have for treatment? I tore mine close gripping 365... not exactly your typical method of tearing a pec muscle by any means.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lol, I'll tell my wife you said that, I think that is the exact year the house was built, though the kitchen has been updated.

As for the legs and calfs- yes, well balanced and proportional. My quads don't get the super freaky look because of my height, even though they measure big. They are the last thing to get lean. I do have good calves. I didn't post leg pics because they would have been taken in undies... but I did raw squat (no belt or knee wraps) 550 this offseason, and was on track for an 800 pound equipped squat at 275 lbs- I was messing around with a bit of powerlifting just for shits. Thought I would shoot for breaking the state deadlift record as I was getting close. I tore my pec in training though and never got around to competing.</div></div>

That sucks on the tear. I've been very fortunate (knock on wood) but have seen many a friend go through that horror. I believe it was the solid technique and ample warm ups that helped prevent that.

I was a solid squat guy. Actually was trained by Dr. Fredrick Hatfield on how to squat. My best was 705 raw for two reps. Never competed but was fairly lean <10% hydrostatically measured in college at 295. In the Navy it was all endurance so I dropped a lot of mass but ripped up pretty well.

Now I'm old and fat but can still out lift many a meat head. Currently working on all lifts for endurance and lots of cardio. My bench goal is 225 for 50 reps. My personal best is 40 so we'll see if I can come close.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Now I'm old and fat but can still out lift many a meat head. Currently working on all lifts for endurance and lots of cardio. My bench goal is 225 for 50 reps. My personal best is 40 so we'll see if I can come close.
</div></div>

Mike don't care if ur old and fat 225 for 50 is sick!!! let alone 40... last i knew i had the record @ my college while playin D1 ball with 39 reps, been about 7yrs ago, still eatin steel.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
That sucks on the tear. I've been very fortunate (knock on wood) but have seen many a friend go through that horror. I believe it was the solid technique and ample warm ups that helped prevent that.

I was a solid squat guy. Actually was trained by Dr. Fredrick Hatfield on how to squat. My best was 705 raw for two reps. Never competed but was fairly lean <10% hydrostatically measured in college at 295. In the Navy it was all endurance so I dropped a lot of mass but ripped up pretty well.

</div></div>Mike,

You worked with Dr. Squat? That's awesome! I've read a lot of his work, he's a legend.

I've always warmed up a ton, in fact, the tear happened in a freak accident sort of way. Like I said, I was giving powerlifting a try. I was following a Westside Barbell program, and it was my speed bench day. I had completed a thorough warmup and 8 sets of 3 reps with 225 (55% or so- the emphasis is speed, to train your neural pathways to push FAST.) Then it was my third set of three reps with 365 on close grip. The weight should have been easy, but it was tough going, for whatever reason. On the second rep, I felt the fibers letting go, like cloth tearing. It never bruised, but there was a slight deformation and a "hang" in the mirror when I held my elbows over my head. It's taken quite a while to get back, and I am still not 100%. I probably never will be, and it has been a mind-fuck for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: benchmstr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

bench </div></div>What did you have for treatment? I tore mine close gripping 365... not exactly your typical method of tearing a pec muscle by any means. </div></div>

my treatment was everyday for a month...i didnt need surgery which was good...but the doctor pulled out a tool that looked like a impact gun with a flat face on it and broke the lemon size protuding muscle wad up....then it turned all kinds of colors like a full blown tear....he did that once a week...i had to have tissue work done on it everday that month...but it worked....i wish i would have had a full tear and just gotten surgery. i think it would have hurt a lot less...

close grips arent that uncommon for pec tears on shorter guys with short arms.....but as tall as you, and your arms are....thats strange....

bench

Bench,

I did a lot of stretching work and a lot of massager work. I can say this- you would not have been better off with a full tear and surgery. The recovery is LOOOONNGGGG. I would rather deal with the pain and get back to training faster.

It's funny, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to another heavy rep without at least 20% of my concentration going to "please don't let my pec rip again..."

-Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Bench,

I did a lot of stretching work and a lot of massager work. I can say this- you would not have been better off with a full tear and surgery. The recovery is LOOOONNGGGG. I would rather deal with the pain and get back to training faster.

It's funny, but I don't know if I'll ever be able to another heavy rep without at least 20% of my concentration going to "please don't let my pec rip again..."

-Bob </div></div>
i was afraid to go heavy for a long time...and when i did it was on incline..

i went heavy today....i dont even think about it anymore...

bench

BM11 - I think we were talking about Elite FXS the other day? Looks like you work hard, be proud of that. It's not easy getting to your goals. I have been powerlifting since I was 18. Going 6 days a week is hard on you but it pays off.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bm11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mike,

You worked with Dr. Squat? That's awesome! I've read a lot of his work, he's a legend.

I probably never will be, and it has been a mind-fuck for me.</div></div>

You know funny thing was that I didn't know who he was when I met him. Another lineman's family was close friends of the family with him and one day he said "I want to introduce you to someone" so we went to this huge facility in Northridge, CA (if memory serves) and met and talked with him for hours. Real nice and friendly guy. Although he wasn't that "big" he had one of them most barreled chests I had ever seen. He looked like one of those strongmen from the 1800's. I believe he was in his late 40's, early 50's then (late 80's time frame) and he was still lifting hot and heavy. He taught us so much, critiqued our technique and showed us how to go big. I will always credit his teachings to why I was able to go heavy and not get hurt.
You want to hear something funny though, talk about old school, he was telling us stories about back in the day when he was younger they would wrap tennis balls to the back of their knees to keep them from going down so low. I couldn't imagine the strain that put on the knee joint but no one knew back then.

On the mind thing it is incredible how the mind can really screw you over when it comes to lifting. Especially if there was an injury involved. I did some incredible damage to my rotator cuff and it still messes with my mind even though I know it's stronger than ever and has already been tested and retested numerous times (including 10 years of hard core swimming) yet whenever I lift shoulders it's always in the back of my mind. Oh well, just press forward.