• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Long Range Shooting (sorta)

S

ShooterToo

I was introduced to what I considered long range shooting in 1978 at Parris Island. In the spring of '79 I found out what long range truly meant. two other Marines and I were pick from 1/4 to go to Scout Sniper School. While I didn't complete the course I was there long enough to appreciate the skill and knowledge it takes to do so. Fast forward to now. I'm at a point in life where toys are easier to get. I just don't have as long to play with them. I want to get into the long range precision shooting arena.

I am a Squirrel hunter. I appreciate well made rifles and precision shooting. I had Clark Custom build me a new Squirrel rifle last year on a Ruger 77/22 action. I want to restock and re-scope either it or my Kimber 82G for rimfire 100+ shooting. If I stick with it I'll start assembling a 308.

I do have a few questions. I understand some of the changes in gear designs and some I don't. Stock design has really changed. At first I was put off by the pistol grip skeletonized look. After shooting a few I am sold. The ergonomics are so much better. What I don't understand is the move from fixed power to variable power scopes. Can someone explain why I would need a 6-24 instead of a fixed 16X for example? I have several variable scopes on hunting rifles and all say on the highest power. Why would I want a variable powered scope on a rifle I will shoot at 500+ yards? I asked some F Class shooters as most of them use variable and no one could give a definitive answer. The dial them to one power and leave them the entire match.

Hi there, I think the use of a variable power scope is different for everyone. I shoot a Nikon with a 6-18. At 100 yards if i had that thing on 16 I probably wouldn't see much of my target. The problem with is is, 1) unprovoked much harder to. find the target with the optic, and two much harder to stay on target/ get back on target for a follow up shot.

Now at 600 yards I normally keep it set to about 16, for me this is just where I'm most comfortable. It also allowed me to have a little extra power to spot my hits on paper. If you plan on shooting farther then 600,most guys start getting into more power. I plan to set up a beyond 1200 yard gun soon, and will probably look at scopes with up to 24x. If you are shooting a small target at 1000 yards, like a tennis ball (very hard to do), you need enough power to see the ball as more then a tiny dot. But need to leave it zoomed out enough to spot your hits and misses.
Hop this was some what help full, other people may say different. That's my reasoning.

Thanks. If I'm understanding your reasoning the variable comes into play when using one gun as both a short range and long range rifle. I've not talked to anyone except those shooting at fixed ranges like the F Class shooters. Is there a competion that shoots at different ranges from 100 out to whatever that would make the variable powered scope necessary?

I will pick a fixed power for my rimfires as that is what I'm comfortable with and I can buy more and better glass for less if I go fixed power. If I do decide to build a centerfire I will have to do some more research on the variable powered scopes.

Thanks for the response.

Yes, tactical precition matches have targets from 0 to past 1000 yards. Many times you may not be given the distance of your target. Even some fclass matches will change distance. I believe they can start there first string at 200, the next at 400, then at 600 and so on. Even my .22 benchrest/trainer gun has a variable power scope.

I believe I will put things on hold a bit until I can cave enough for a good variable. That just gives me more time to research both this new shooting venue and the necessary equipment. Thanks for the responses. I did search and look around but this is the first time the question has been answered in a manner that makes sense. I try to find the answers to my noob questions in the forum acrchives by searching but sometimes that doesn't work. I appreciate not getting blasted for asking and getting an answer. This looks like a good forum.

In my opinion the best way to learn is to ask. There is no reasion for some guys to feel the need to give people crap for a question.

If you are looking for a cheap pritty good little scope for a .22 I have the bsa sweet 22 on my savage and love it. I zerod that thing 2 years ago and it still holds a perfict zero. As far as bigger rifles, the ski is the limit for options.