• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to LR/Precision. Just picked up my first

st34lth

Private
Minuteman
Nov 21, 2011
All,

Just introducing myself here. Long time AR and handgun guy but decided it was time to take the target a bit further out. Had my eye on the Rem 700s for a long time now and ended up picking up a Rem 700 VS SF II in 300RUM. No optics, rights, etc so I have a bit before I can start shooting but I'm pumped.

I'll be starting with the 300RUM Manged Recoil from Rem until I can get used to the gun and a proper set of handloads built for it.

No shame in admitting I'm starting from Zero here but sure excited to do it. Thanks in advance for all of the advice!

~ST34LTH

Re: New to LR/Precision. Just picked up my first

Welcome to the hide! Grats on the new gun. I'm new myself. All I can say is read read read...and when you can't read anymore sign up for the online training. Then read everything again.
smile.gif

Re: New to LR/Precision. Just picked up my first

Try the vortex Viper PST line for optics they are the best bang for your buck Ive seen. You may be in for a bit of a surprise when you touch that bang stick off. Its got a little bit of a mule kick for most long range shooters. If you intend to hunt with it mostly it will be great. If you are wanting to get into match type shooting most of the tactical matches have a speed limit on them that the 300 RUM wont fit in. Try to stick with heavy VLD type bullets with a High BC for the long range stuff. Berger has a new one out for 30 cal. that would be great in it. If I were you I would also find a Gun smith close to you and have a muzzle break put on that beast. Its going to hurt when you pull the trigger if you don't. Sounds like you have a nice rifle to start out with. But I would consider trading it or buying another if you want to shoot steel or matches much. There are some matches just for those Giant rifles out there. Read some of the match results in the tactical and F class match section if that is your intended use. But like I said if thats a long range hunting rig your just fine with that caliber. Good luck.