• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to LR shooting

Havok

Private
Minuteman
Feb 24, 2013
Venice, FL
Hey everybody,

I'm brand new to the world of long range and precision shooting. I work at a small LGS and after a few of our customers came in and ordered certain rifles I've been bitten by the bug. I'm on a very tight budget so my first rifle is likely to be a Howa 1500 with a 22" barrel and a Vortex Optic. I eventually want to put the action in a McMillan A2 stock.

All of it is kind of a 3 year plan.....year 1 is getting the rifle together...year 2 is developing hand loads for it an year 3 is taking he out to some competitions and putting her to the real test.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

You've picked the rifle, and the line of optic, so what's the question?

Normally I'd say do the "google search" because this question comes up weekly, if not daily... but the search function no longer works with the new site.

Guess we have to start all over. I can't even access bookmarked threads with pet loads and other important stuff...:(

I would say skip year 3 and get out and shoot some competitions in year two. Shot my first one this year with little experience in long range shooting, basically finished last, and had a great time!

Agree with scwoody. Get your rifle together practice as much as possible, then do some matches. It's fun even if you finish last. I learn things every time I shoot, but much more acquired when shooting with others. Just have fun, which is what it's really all about ! Good Shooting

Thanks guys. tobnpr, I'm more just looking for advice on best areas to shoot, any clubs to hook up with....that sort of stuff.