• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to me rifle and range report... Sort of.

Longbow_06

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2005
GA-USA
So a friend of my brought a used Rem 700 .308, but decided that he wasn't interested in the long range type of shooting he had thought that he wanted to get into. So the rifle sat for two weeks unshot and scopeless. I tend to shoot rifles better than pistols, so I asked if he'd be interested in trading it for a used Sig 226 with a couple of spare mags. He went for it.

The rifle is a Rem 700 SPS Tactical, Bell & Carleson LTR stock and a Jewell Trigger. The rifle also came with Leupold bases.

I removed the stock and adjusted the trigger, which felt a little mushy. Ripped the Nikon Monarch X 2.5-10x44 off my AR and mounted it with Nightforce 40MOA base and low 30mm rings.

101_2105.jpg

101_2112.jpg

And off to the range I drove... Over the road and through the gate. And set up to zero the rifle at 100 yards.

101_2106.jpg

After boresighting the rifle for 100, I decided to use some older GA arms 168 match to initially zero the rifle. I then swapped to FGMM 168 grain rounds to check the grouping.
The first GA arms rounds are rinded in Black Marker. The fourth round went through the 1" pasty.
At this time I stuck a new pasty over the wholed one, and swapped the rounds to the FGMM. After running a snake through the bore, to knock out the crap, I shot the first group of six rounds.

101_2110.jpg

Yes... Thats six rouns in the little 1" group. I was pretty pleased with that, so I moved out to 350 yards.

101_2113.jpg

Not sure if you can see it in the pix, but there is a white board on the far shore of the lake. Next to the board is one of these....

101_2114.jpg

I hate walking, so the "THUNK" gives instant gratification.

Satisfied that I was getting consistant hits at 350 with 6.5 MOA, I stuck a shoot and see on the board at 350 yards, just for one shot...

101_2115.jpg

Pretty pleased with the results, to say the least. I didn't take it out to the full 600 yards today. I have to leave the fun for another week.

Lee.

__ " __

Re: New to me rifle and range report... Sort of.

I'd say you got yourself a shooter

Yeah it shoots for sure. Keep it and don't change a thing until see accuracy start to degrade.

Nice shooting. I'd kill to have a range like that.

good shooting great rifles.

Thanks guys.... I'm getting realy attached to this one.

Lee.