• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns New (to me) Sig P220, & a question

101stinfantry

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    AR
    Picked up a Sig P220, old Herndon VA pistol. Anyway it shoots pretty good, but I noticed that it feels.....I don't know, "clunky" when the slide cycles. Doesn't look like it has been shot much, but the clunky feels weird, so what makes it feel clunky? Does it need a new recoil spring?

Is that going to fix the "Clunky" feel? If I can get rid of the clunky I'll get a new threaded barrel for it too, and use it as a suppressor host.

Not sure what to make of the term clunky, so I was hoping to start with basics and see.

Can you describe more what it feels like? Do you have other SIGs, and it's different from those?

Lol! Clunky is just the first word that came to mind. Clunky= You can feel the slide when it stops on recoil, and when it goes back into battery, kinda like it's moving slow enough to distinctly feel the stops. Felt nothing like my P226. However, at any rate I think I got to the bottom of it, when I took it apart when I got it home I wiped it down, and didn't put any grease on the slide rails and left it dry. I've got her lubed up, and will try it out tomorrow to see if that was/is my problem. Pistol shoots well, and didn't have any malfunctions, so I'm hoping that leaving it fairly dry was what is causing the "Clunkiness".
    On the bright side you now know my definition of "Clunky"!

Reactions: shoobe01
    Yup. Asking because sometimes people are simply not familiar with locked breech guns — or have had a very different one — and the unlocking of the barrel tilting feels weird to them, but you are a Sig guy so not that :)

Yeah, could be springs battering. Could also just be the caliber change. Big gun in .45 will have lower slide velocity but higher slide mass so may to your familiar hand feel very different because it's so similar.

Oh, thought and looked and almost forgot for older SIGs: two piece slides. Look REALLY HARD at the roll pin that keeps the slide together. Easy enough to replace but theoretically catastrophic if it starts walking out. Can do with use so just make part of your inspection cycle when cleaning, if not already familiar. They make a couple 226s so not sure what you have.

Also means... you can't get to the extractor (and maybe the firing pin!) springs without removing that big roll pin and getting the bolt out. So... if not familiar with that, look it up and figure out either how to order the bits or which friend has a good set of roll pin punches.

Yeah, could be springs battering. Could also just be the caliber change. Big gun in .45 will have lower slide velocity but higher slide mass so may to your familiar hand feel very different because it's so similar.
    I would agree with that too.

I have this Tyson's Corner, VA (Sig USA first destination for importing Sigs, that no longer exists to the Post Office) Sig P220. Carbon steel folded slide (think pizza box), muzzle of slide welded to folded slide (slide with two "ll's is German, LOL) with breech block insert held in place with heavy duty dual concentric roll pins with their slots at 180 deg apart. Spur profile hammer is a identifying characteristic of the P220. Both 7 & 8 round magazines will run.
    IMG_1917 copy.JPG
    IMG_1930 copy.JPG
    IMG_0410 copy.JPG
    IMG_0607 a.jpg
    IMG_0487 copy.JPG

I shot it out the back door this evening, and it seems that I just left it too dry. I usually put a little grease on the slide rails, and just plain forgot to on my initial inspection. Put a dab of grease on there and it feels "right" now. From the looks of it, I doubt this one has seen much range time, but I'm going to fix that. Pistol was proofed in '89, my Dad has one that is Browning branded, but I don't know what year it was born.

...I have this Tyson's Corner, VA (Sig USA first destination for importing Sigs, that no longer exists to the Post Office) Sig P220...
    That's in scary nice condition. It may be the nostalgia but I swear it looks better finished than current production, brand new guns.

Friend has been carrying sigs for years for work, has collected a few more, uses the same gun off duty, so may have to send him those to annoy him :)

That’s just how the old German Sigs are, clanky. I know the purists rave about how great they are and all but after owning many German Sigs and some newer US made ones all I can say is that the build quality is night and day between the them.

As it seems like you’ve already discovered, the right grease can work wonders for them. You really want to use a decently thick grease on them but don’t go overboard.

@strikeeagle1, yours looks alot like the one my Dad has, except his has the Euro mag release, and is marked Browning Arms Company Morgan, UT on one side and Sig Sauer Systems on the other. Proof date code is '78. Also, yours looks to be in a bit better shape too.

While on the subject of the 220, are the ACT-Mag magazines any good? I see they are made in Italy.

Just a suggestion, run TW-25 synthetic grease on the rails of your SIG P220 and P226.

I buy it in the little 12cc Syringe applicator, and it makes it soo easy to put on in tight places. I apply it to the slide recess on the inside edge of slide vs putting the lube on the frame.

I also use the same grease on the lugs of my precision rifles.

I'll check that out, I've been using Pro-Gold in a syringe. I think I got it from Brownells.

This P220 has a JH date code = 1987.
    I have some of the classic grease contemporaneously recommended by Sig, but the corporate rascals cross-decked to
    recommending AmsOil grease in later years. Gray Guns likes Brian Enos "Slide Glide". I think any modern synthetic grease
    will be more than adequate for relatively slow speed low heat friction protection. I actually like the simple Super-Lube. I also have a bunch of Wilson Combat's that recommend using their Ultra-Lube which I have but I still like the Super Lube better not for any technical reason, but the WC lube seems to dehydrate during periods of dormancy.

I have these P226's, NSW (Mk24) and Navy (mk25), that actually came with a small tube of the TW25 Mil-Com designed for the stainless slides (not carbon steel).
    TW 25B MIL-COMM Grease copy.JPG
    Screen Shot 2021-03-18 at 8.47.44 PM.png
    IMG_4218 copy 2.JPG

IMG_4215 copy.JPG

Last edited:
    Those are pretty cool, I really like my 226 suppressed. Sig is offering the grease again apparently, I was looking on Brownells for the TW25, and saw a tube of grease with Sig branding on it.

With the 226? RMRs 147gr. HMW, over power pistol, and an Obsidian 45. Haven't got the threaded barrel for the 220 yet.

I have this P226 BlackWater that has 5300 rounds down range. Gotta love the optic / light combination of the day.
    Of course no holster on earth could accommodate such a creature. Apparently didn't clean the muzzle blast debris before this photo.
    CIMG6646 copy.JPG
    IMG_0743Sig 226 Blackwater copy 2.JPG

Sig is offering the grease again apparently, I was looking on Brownells for the TW25, and saw a tube of grease with Sig branding on it.
    How long ago. I don't see any current TW25 with Sig branding. The old school accompanied the pistol looked like this.
    Appreciate a link if you have it.
    Screen Shot 2018-11-06 at 6.19.06 AM copy.png

I ordered some too, Lol! Unfortunately my Sig threaded barrel no worky, over sized. :( I guess I'll contact MGW where I bought it and see if they can fit it, I know they do some gunsmithing work. I swear nothing is ever simple for me...........well, the SiCo 226 barrel dropped right in, so I do get lucky sometimes.

Factory Sig 220 barrel. It's just a smidgen too wide, the original is .654, and the new is .657. Everything else measures exactly the same.

I shot it out the back door this evening, and it seems that I just left it too dry. I usually put a little grease on the slide rails, and just plain forgot to on my initial inspection. Put a dab of grease on there and it feels "right" now. From the looks of it, I doubt this one has seen much range time, but I'm going to fix that. Pistol was proofed in '89, my Dad has one that is Browning branded, but I don't know what year it was born.
    Can’t remember for sure, but I think the Brownings were made between’78 and ‘80. They fetch more money because they are less common. They made them in 9mm and .45 ACP. They’re neat pieces.

Talked to Sig today (after spending 20 minutes on hold), they said they would fit the barrel for free......well, I gotta pay $55 shipping, but other than that free. After I hung up I realized I gave them the wrong damn e-mail addy, so I guess my screw up is gonna cost me another 20 minutes!

$55 for shipping a pistol barrel? Where are you shipping from, Western Pacific?
    I assume it's the entire handgun. The barrel has to be fitted to the frame. There's also shipping/insurance. $55.00 ain't cheap, but it adds up with insurance. And, if that's all he has to pay, that's not bad. The 'smithing costs, but doesn't look like it's reflected in what he's being asked to pay. Personally, I don't see it as being out of line.

Yeah, I figured $55 was fair enough, I'm going to have them put in a SRT too, I think parts and labor on that was like $99. I've never been to the Western Pacific, but I hear it's nice. :)

Reactions: Alpine 338
    Just a bit of an update, Sig is pretty damn fast turning a pistol around. They got the pistol 3/31, and it was headed back 4/2, fitted the barrel, and installed the SRT package, $154.95 including shipping. ACT mags fit and drop free fine, but I haven't had a chance to shoot with them yet.

ACT mags work just fine. I found out my current .45 load using Longshot isn't very good for suppressor use, it does the same thing as W231 does.........pepper my face with particles. Now to actually find some different powder for sale somewhere, but where? Chances may be better in the Western Pacific! 😁

The SRT trigger is a worthy upgrade for sure IMO. All my sigs have them after I tried one. Well. Except my 320 axg. I short stroke the trigger reset on it once in a while because I'm so used to the SRT. Wish the 320 could have a SRT!!