• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to NV - PVS-14 or MUM-14?

liveround

Private
Minuteman
Dec 9, 2021
Texas
I am a complete newbie to night vision equipment although I've been trying to read up on it as much as I can. Wanting something helmet mounted......been talking to someone with an NiViSys PVS-14a and also someone with an NiviSys MUM-14. Can't find much info about the differences, and also don't know if this is a good brand. They are based in El Paso I believe.

The guy selling the PVS-14A includes a helmet and mount, but the helmet is medium and I don't think it will fit my big ol noggin.

Anybody have any experience with this company? Thanks!

If you were looking for a good all around SHTF rifle would you buy an AR or an Italian Carcano? You would buy the AR cause you can find parts everywhere, accessories are pretty standardized, etc.

That's why you buy a PVS14 over some knockoff housing. So 30 years in the future you will be able to find part.

Back in the 90's there was a lot of guys that opted for the $399. Russian Breakalotski model NV, six months later when their units died they couldn't find parts let alone the dealer that sold them it.

Meanwhile the guys that bought PVS4s, PVS5, and other common NV were- and still are- able to find parts, service, etc.

Something to consider.

If you were looking for a good all around SHTF rifle would you buy an AR or an Italian Carcano? You would buy the AR cause you can find parts everywhere, accessories are pretty standardized, etc.

That's why you buy a PVS14 over some knockoff housing. So 30 years in the future you will be able to find part.

Back in the 90's there was a lot of guys that opted for the $399. Russian Breakalotski model NV, six months later when their units died they couldn't find parts let alone the dealer that sold them it.

Meanwhile the guys that bought PVS4s, PVS5, and other common NV were- and still are- able to find parts, service, etc.

Something to consider.
Thanks for the reply......the MUM-14 does not have a manual gain adjust.....would probably want that.

Yes, manual gain control is extremely helpful.