• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to precision loading...

wakeboarder4402

Private
Minuteman
Aug 22, 2011
Kalifornia
So I have been hand loading for a few years, mainly .45 and .223 "production quality" loads on a 550. I am now looking to start producing more of a precision load, starting with .308. To give you more of an idea of what I am looking for, I have a Lyman single stage that I can work on but need advice beyond that (dies, etc.) I also am looking for advice on components to start with. I am shooting a Tikka Varminter with the stock 23 3/4" 1 in 11" barrel, and am wondering if one load will work at 100 yds to 1000 yds? I plan on going through a precision rifle course in the spring, and would love to have a load worked up for it. Any and all help is greatly appreciated!

Nick

Re: New to precision loading...

There's plenty of threads around here for recipies.

As for dies, I would suggest either RCBS Gold Match dies with micrometer. They are supposed to have very little runout.

A load that works well at 1000 should also work well at 100. The key is to have very little difference in velocity from cartridge to cartridge. At 100 the differences in velocity aren't as noticeable but when distance increases, it becomes very apparent.