• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New to Precision Shooting, Help me Decide!

Which setup should I trade my Tavor TAR21 for?

• Remington 700 Magpul Edition 6.5 Creedmoor w/ 20MOA rail + $1200 + dies

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 308 Tikka T3X Cabela's Special Edition in an A1 Chassis w/ Leupold Mk4 4.5-14 SFP + 3mags

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 308 Tikka T3X Cabela's Special Edition in an A1 Chassis + $500 + 3mags

Votes: 15 88.2%

• Total voters

ArmyDocB

Private
Minuteman
May 20, 2021
Canada
Hi everyone!

New to forum, new to precision shooting. Not new to shooting rifles or reloading.

Looking for help to decide what to do with my Gen 2 Tavor Tar 21. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am not familiar with bolt rifles/long range optics etc.

I'm leaning toward the Rem 700 in 6.5 Creedmoor, the ballistics of that round seem pretty good.

Intended use would be range only. I have access out to 500m at times, but mostly 100 - 200m.

Round counts are reported to be low for both rifles.

The Tikka T3x is seen here in the link: https://www.cabelas.ca/product/106096/tikka-t3x-special-edition-compact-tactical-rifle

The owner picked up a tikka A1 chassis and dropped the CTR special edition into it.

I am also in Canada, if that makes a difference wrt the $$ amount and the non-restricted allure of the Tavor.

Thanks!

Having owned both in factory form, I would go Tikka before Rem.
Had a CTR in .308 that was dang accurate.

Im no fan of a SFP scope, but for $500, that's not a bad scope to start out with.

To 500m, either is going to work dandy.

Pretty much the standard advice for anyone getting into long range is Tikka (or Howa)... bombproof and they only require a $10 trigger spring to get a legit trigger (~1.5lbs or under).

A SFP scope is not what you want and can actually hold you back (name doesn't matter, whether it's Leupold, NF, or whomever), practically worthless. These days $500 will buy you an Arken that'll be enough to take you until you're good enough to scoop up something more Gucci off a prize table.

People will say get the Remington because of the vast aftermarket, but shitty thing is you'll need it: if you get into this, there's almost nothing on that R700 you won't end up replacing: stock is a noodle, trigger sucks, upgrading the action costs as much as a new action, etc.

That said, 308 kind of sucks... doesn't matter how long it lasts because its ammo costs the same as any other cartridge and no one needs too much of a bad thing. It probably will be fine for the distances you mentioned, but when you go out further 308 shows its age... so might budget for buying a Tikka prefit barrel in a better cartridge sooner rather than later (good prefits can be had for ~$400).

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: powdahound76
None of the above.

✔️ Tikka T3x TAC A1 in 6.5 Creedmoor with Leupold Mark-5 HD 5-25

That's a stunningly good combination to shoot to and through 1,200 yards.

• Haha
Op, are you trying to trade your Tavor in to a gun shop for a new gun?

If so, stop and go sell it on your own, then go buy the rifle you want. You will get significantly more out of your rifle by selling it yourself, especially in this market.

Nice to see one of the Hide’s top idiots, rusty trombone, weighing in.

Possible restrictions on selling it in Canada, not sure how thats all ruled on for those folks.

• Haha
Reactions: 308pirate
oh, if it is a private trade, I would press the guy a bit on the tikka without a scope and do your best to get him to throw in 600 bucks and then take it. Then go order the best Mil FFP scope you can get for 5-600 bucks and start shooting. Don't worry about it being a 308. You won't wear that barrel out and in time if you want you can get a 6.5 or something more modern.

Look at KRG chassis and go with Vortex Razor or Athlon that matches the price point of the Leupold you are considering.

Thanks for the inlut everyone. I wentnwirh the tikka ctr in the a1 chassis, no scope. I will mostly be shooting 200m, 500m max at times.

Will be looking at some 6.5 Creedmoot prefits for down the road if I get posted/move somewhere with access to greater distamce.