• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

NEW to relaoding..help for my 1st .223 reloads

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Hi Gang.
I have never reloaded before...outside of shotshells about 25 years ago...and just set up my RCBS press.
I was able to get my hands on 3000 CCI 400 primers some Hodgens Benchmark powder and some 50gr Sierra Blitz King bullets.

Now I see in all the manuals I have looked at the recommend a given brand of brass, primer,etc. for their bullet. Does the case being used make a huge difference? And what about a given make of bullet vs the same weight of another brand?

I have just prepped 50 Black Hills once fired cases. and not sure of my next step as I do not have any matching items per manuals...HELP PLEASE.

Thanks,Stan

Re: NEW to relaoding..help for my 1st .223 reloads

case and primers can be changed. just start low (like 10% reduced) and work up from there.

PM inbound

I've had great luck with Benchmark. The 50 Blitzkings shot good in my 1-12 223 but the 40 blitzking shot awesome. I even shoot the 40's in my 1-9 LTR and they shoot great. That kinda surprised me a bit. I have winchester and Lapua 223 brass and I can't honestly say one shoots any better than they other. In my 1-12 2.26 oal seems to be the magic number.

Yep, there's some volume differences in common .223 brass, but as lond as you start at about 90% of published max and work up tegh laod with care regarding pressures, you should do fine.

The manuals are a must. I recommend the Sierra rifle manual.

Meanwhile, the Hodgdon site should have some reference material that's useful to you. Like brass, bullets of similar weights still require some variance in load data, so take your time, and learn as you go.

Greg

i have had pressure signs using benchmark, granted it was a little heavier bullet, so just be careful. i like varget because you can't really overload .223 w/ varget, and the performance is still there.

Just to chime in here, regarding the process. I'd been pressed to get a Lyman manual, when I was starting years ago. Read the info in the first half of the book. Explains each process in detail.

And also gives you enough information to go further, if you so desire. I won't say it will leave you with no further questions, but any questions you may have in the end, would be of a minor or non-critical manner.

Yes, it's that good.

And then you get a whole whack of reloading information, on top of that. And really, can one have too many reloading manuals?

I suggest reading the manuals and staying with the published load data, overall lengths, and such. Stick with one type of primer and one type of brass for now, whatever you can get with the shortage and all.

To answer your question, yes, any change in componant make or type can change pressure and performance. Maybee not a "huge" difference but one that should be concidered none the less. Like has been said, start low and work your way up watching for pressure signs. Dont get in a hurry and keep a close eye and you'll be fine.

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Coyotejunki</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I suggest reading the manuals and staying with the published load data, overall lengths, and such. Stick with one type of primer and one type of brass for now, whatever you can get with the shortage and all. </div></div>

COAL should be tailored to the rifle.

Brass brand variation from the book is very common. I'd get one brand of brass and work my loads up using the starting load from the manual and evaluate as I go up.

Primers don't usually make that much of a safety difference though you may occasionally see a variation in group size and velocities. It is usually not extreme. My stepsons loads with Remington primers do group different if we use Winchesters. Not his "thoughts" but me at the bench swapping loads between groups.

Greg