• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New to reload

Fortworthguy

Private
Minuteman
May 14, 2024
Fort Worth Texas
Hey yall,
New to reloading. Can anyone recommend quality equipment and where to start? Multiple calibers and I currently have no knowledge or experience. Let me know your thoughts on where to begin. Thanks in advance!
IMG_1747.jpeg

Lapua brass
Single stage press
Redding dies, but SAC dies or area419
Berger, Sierra bullets depending on caliber
Others will chime in, but need more to complete

Reactions: simonp
40 years ago i started with a RCBS kit and a Lyman manual because it explained the whole process the best, and was the only manual for cast bullets.
The only items that i have added that are a must have for me.
Redding T7 press
K@M arbor press
RCBS Chargemaster
Frankford Arsenal hand primer
Wilson case trimmer w/drill
Oh and a bunch of loading blocks.

Reactions: Fig
Don’t try to do too much at the start. Pick an easy cartridge to load for with lots of options (.223REM, .308WIN, etc) and just focus on that until you start to feel comfortable and confident that you know what you’re doing.

What Seth said. But I will add this. The internet is not your friend as a novice, rookie reloader. There are many nuances to this process and reading too much will lead you in to confusion and conflicting processes. If you can purchase a good reloading manual. I recommend Hornady or Lyman. Others may be as good but I know these two are thorough. You also need to determine what you are reloading for, competition, plinking, etc and also what range you will be shooting. Bench Rest has different requirements than PRS or F Class or Short Range Bench Rest.

I have been chastised for recommending using a mentor in the past but it is much easier to understand actual instruction while doing something as opposed to reading and trying to remember all the instructions and jumping from book to work and back.

Pick one caliber to start, keep it simple, and get through the basic process a few times at least before running out and buying a lot of toys. There are a lot of cool and expensive toys that will tempt you but get to where you really understand what part of the process really needs to be improved. Get good quality tools a bit at a time.

You can spend a lot on very small incremental improvements you may or may not need. Just like a new shooter doesn’t need a Kestrel to dope a rifle, you don’t need an Amp annealer and Henderson trimmer to reload some Hornady brass a few times to learn the process with very good results.

Here's a very reasonable list of suggested parts for beginning: (there are more expensive versions of all this you can upgrade to, but this is a great beginner setup unless you just want to spend 4-5k - which I support).

Press - RCBS Rockchucker 4
Depriming die - area419
Full Length and seating die - Whidden or SAC
Lock Rings for die - hornady split ring (don't skip these!)
Powder Charge - Chargemaster lite
Funnel - MKM machining or area419 or SAC
Caliper - amazon
Comparator - hornady (only need ogive and headspace for your caliber)
Media vibratory tumbler - Frankford arsenal
Case Trays - Frankford arsenal
Lube - honorary one shot or alpha case lube
Trim - hronady handheld debar/ chamfer (don't worry about trimming for a while)

Components:
Brass - always lapua, alpha or ADG - in that order
Powder - H4350 or varget is the answer unless you're shooting 300 prc+ then H1000
Bullets - the Berger hybrid
Primer - cc450 if small - fed215m if large

if you're doing more than 100 rounds in a sitting I highly recommend a Dillon progressive. I only do 50-100 a month on my precision set up so I don't mind but if I shot a lot...

If only doing rifle cartridges > .223, I would go with a Forster co-ax press, or other single stage press. If you are doing a lot of handgun stuff or .223, I would recommend a progressive setup.

I also use a forster co ax and love it. don't have any experience with other new top of the line offerings though.

have to agree with these fellas, my dad showed me the very beginning stages of reloading and that took the mystique out of it. after that it was just about practice and upgrading (for precision) as desired.
if you ever read load date posted on here, maybe by me, do not immediately try that. I use custom chambers, custom gain twists, formed lapua brass etc. same for many people on here. we can get extreme velocities in our specialized guns safely, your mileage may vary. if you told me your cartridge and powder you have or expect I might be able to help more.

Last edited:
Reactions: Herb Stoner
Avoid any "kits", and if you can, buy the best equipment you can afford right out of the gate.

Here is what you need to start:

- Good single stage press (I use a Forster Co-ax)
- Good powder thrower & trickler (I use a V2 Autotrickler w/A&D 120i with V3 board and IP trickler upgrade)
- Good set of sizing dies (I like Whidden click adjustable FL sizing dies)
- Good seating dies (I like Whidden here too)
- Good set of calipers (I use digital Mitutoyo's)
- Shoulder bump gauges (if you buy Whidden dies, these will be included)
- Bullet comparator (I use Hornady Lock-n-load)
- Sizing lube/wax (I use Imperial)
- Reloading tray for your cartridges (many available, you don't need anything fancy)
- Powder funnel (I use A419, but again, you don't need anything fancy here)
- Primer seater (I use a Primal Rights CPS, but a good quality hand primer works too)
- ETA: tumbler - I use a Lyman and tumble with rice

Things to eventually get if you can't afford right away (not necessary to start):

- Good trimmer (I use a Giraud, but Henderson looks great too)
- Annealer (I use AMP)

General tips:

The key to reloading is to develop a repeatable process, keep things simple, especially at the start. Use good quality components - like Berger bullets and Lapua brass. Do some research to understand what powders work best with what cartridges. When developing loads, start low and work up - a lot of the loads posted on SH are very high pressure. Understand what pressure signs are. If you get stuck at any part of the process or have any general questions on your reloading journey, feel free to come back to SH to ask - we are here to help each other out.

Last edited:
Before starting we need to do a credit check and need to look at your financial statement. To make sure you can afford this new venture. 🤣

Fossil Pointe! You should shoot the club matches if you haven't already

I've been hand loading since 1999 and would love to help you get your stuff set up once you've got it in. I'm in the area - shoot me a PM

@Vyx313 put together a pretty good starter list, I'll add what I'd change below

I'm in the same boat as you with respect to quality/price decisions. After quite a bit of research, here's what I came up with. I haven't purchased an annealer or trimmer yet but everything else is on its way.

PartItemVendorPriceComments
Calipers$ -Already Have
Bullet PullerRCBSRCBS$ 32.00Need to add appropriate collet.
Reloading BlocksMTM UniversalMidway$ 20.00QTY 2
FunnelFrankford Arsenal AL FunnelMidway$ 30.00
Headspace ComparatorHornady 5 Bushing SetMidway$ 45.00
Bullet ComparatorHornady Basic SetMidway$ 34.00
Case LubeHornady One ShotMidway$ 18.00
Brass TumblerBerry QD500Midway$ 70.00
MediaCorn Cob MediaRCBS$ 10.00
Media SeparatorFrankford Arsenal Platinum SeriesMidway$ 47.00
Hand PrimerFrankford Arsenal Perfect SeatOpticsPlanet$ 78.00
Case TrimmerGiraud 6.5Giraud$ 110.00
Case Prep/Debur/Bevel^^Combo with above$ -
AnnealerAnnealezeAnnealeze$ 275.00AGS Annealer? Forum10 for discount.
Powder DispenserChargemaster LinkRCBS$ 160.00Chargemaster Lite from SH
PressForster CoaxOpticsPlanet$ 375.00
Press MountUltramount for Forster CoaxMidway$ 105.00
Shell HolderShell Holder #3$ -Won't need this with Forster, Primer comes with it.
Expander Mandre21st Centruy21st$ 104.00Body + 3 mandrels
Sizing DieRCBS Matchmaster Full Length 6.5RCBS$ 89.00
Seating Die^^Combo with above$ -
Neck BushingRCBSRCBS$ 17.00
Lock RingsForsterOpticsPlanet$ 62.80
Press CoverForster CoverOpticsPlanet$ 22.00
$ 1,703.80Total

Calipers - iGaging OriginCal (brands like Hornady typically suck battery life & are 2x what they should cost)
Bullet puller - Hornady
Funnel - Hornady premium funnel kit
Case Trimmer - either get a Giraud Tri-way or hold off on this & just measure your brass before every reload for now (some will disagree)
Annealer - hold off, segregate & reload ~50pc of brass then discard after 3 or 4 firings (some will disagree)

Thanks for pulling this up @R_A_W

For reference, I’ve been reloading with this for a bit and I’m pretty happy with it. I still don’t have a trimmer or annealer but I am getting an AMP for cheap from a buddy who’s upgrading soon.

R_A_W’s suggestion of the Hornady bullet puller is spot on. The RCBS one is a pain with out buying a $20 lever from McMaster-Carr.

I have a pair of calipers from Home Depot that seem to work well. About $40 if I recall.

I like the expander mandrel die but should have just bought a single mandrel to give me .002 bullet tension. I don’t use the others at all.

I’m really happy with the Forster co-ax and would do it again. I’ve since added a roller handle, light kit, and bin/die holder kit from inline fabrication that I would definitely recommend.

Best of luck to you!

Reactions: Fortworthguy
Press: RCBS Rockchucker
Powder throw: RCBS Chargemaster 1500
Tumbler: Lyman and Frankfort are what I’ve used
Primer Tool: RCBS Universal hand primer
Case prep: RCBS case prep center
Trimmer: RCBS hand trimmer
Hornady OAL comparator set
Caliper: I have one for the comparator and one without
Book: Hornady is what I use. Much of the info in it can be found online in pdf format

Get a decent amount of trays. I have enough to load 200 rounds and still have an open tray of 50 to transfer to as I’m loading.

Two things you’ll eventually want.

- A bullet puller. I like the impact hammer style. Simple to use.
- RCBS stuck case tool

As you get more in depth you’ll start annealing. I use a dual torch Vertex Bench Source.

Having someone who’s been reloading that can teach you is a great idea. Not only to streamline your process but teach you what to look for when inspecting your cases.

As far as components go

- Brass: Lapua
- Primer: CCI have been the best for me
- Bullet: Berger/Sierra for target. Hornady for hunting
- Powder: Depends what your loading. For 308 I use IMR 4064. For 6.5/260 H4350. Bigger stuff I have Retumbo/H1000/R26 and R33

My die preference is Lee collet/redding body die. Redding comp or forester seater. I use Frankfort arsenal case lube

For a chronograph get the Garmin. No reason to really get anything else at this point

One thing I’ll add with regard to choice of presses. I spent weeks figuring out what I was going to do. With the Forster co-ax, swapping does takes a second once they’re setup. I would guess this is probably faster than a turret press and I’m glad I went that route.

What Seth said. But I will add this. The internet is not your friend as a novice, rookie reloader. There are many nuances to this process and reading too much will lead you in to confusion and conflicting processes. If you can purchase a good reloading manual. I recommend Hornady or Lyman. Others may be as good but I know these two are thorough. You also need to determine what you are reloading for, competition, plinking, etc and also what range you will be shooting. Bench Rest has different requirements than PRS or F Class or Short Range Bench Rest.

I have been chastised for recommending using a mentor in the past but it is much easier to understand actual instruction while doing something as opposed to reading and trying to remember all the instructions and jumping from book to work and back.
Agreed on the internet opinion. But, I will say this; neither is anything else, apparently. I know a couple older guys who have reloaded tons of pistol ammo, which is what I'm doing. But no one can seem to tell me the finer points of this endeavor. For instance, I cannot find any basic info on tolerances, specifically COAL. I have the Hornady book, and it concentrates on rifle ammo, and gives no info at all on stuff like this in general. So, I have picked 3 calibers, and one or 2 bullet weights for each, and have stuck with Hornady bullets for all, and have tried to shoot for the mid range on the stated recipes. I think I've turned out some pretty good ammo, though I have not shot nearly enough of it. At the least, I expect it's safe and functional. But, the finer points could possibly be making better ammo, and I'm from a manufacturing background...

Reactions: Doom
For instance, I cannot find any basic info on tolerances, specifically COAL.

Things like this are why people end up with many reloading books… even if there is tremendous overlap, none of them covers everything

edit: I just took a look @ Hornady 11 ed, COAL was in there… it’s definitely my least favorite hand loading book, however. What are you looking for?

To @Fortworthguy, I’d get the current Lyman book over Hornady. Every other loading book should be from bullet mfg, they tend to be a little better in my opinion. Speer, Berger, Nosler, etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fortworthguy