• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading 6.5 CM

Dan Kierl

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2022
Kansas
Hello everyone, I have been admiring this forum for quite some time and decided to join. As the title says...I am new to reloading and need some advice. The rifle I am shooting is a Bergara B14 BMP. I have been shooting factory loads and started having (elevation) inconsistencies out at 800 yards, so I decided to enter the world of reloading.

I decided to use the Berger 130gr VLD hunting and also the match bullets. H4350 with Lapua SRP brass, CCI 450 (magnum) primers. I chronographed 10 strings of five rounds starting at 39.1gr through 40.9gr in .2 gr increments. I found two single SD loads, one at 40.1 gr 2625 FPS and 4.1 SD. That group was pretty darn good....haven't measured but was .75 MOA min. (I really didn't try for groups). The 2nd good SD load was 40.5 gr at 2643 FPS and a SD of 7.0.

My question is, should I be ok with that 4.1 SD and a good group at 2625 FPS and begin seating depth testing to reduce the groups or continue developing the load in hopes of a low SD above my highest test load? The reason I ask is, I am not all hung up on speed, just accuracy out to 1335 yards (furthest available target).

Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
I just took a first crack at developing two inital loads for a friend who has a Ruger RPR in 6.5 CM. The top two eyeball shots were with the 147 ELDM's and the nose shots were with the 140 match burners:

1660343974818.png

My son was not taking his time and had the two flyers. These are at 100 yards. Loads are:

Burner BT Match140gr2.770H4350
41.50​
RPRSimilar POI to the 147's. Good load.
Hornady ELD M147gr2.800H4350
41.00​
RPRyesCurrent go-to load. 41.5 or 41.6 would be the next test.

From what I read here on the Hide, 41.5 ish is the shit. I did not measure velocity or SD/ES as this was just a favor to a PITA friend. Maybe it will give you a good place to start.

Last edited:
For shooting a 130gr I would want more than 2650 fps. You should just try a 41.5-41.8 charge and get into the 2700s at least

Reactions: Dan Kierl
For shooting a 130gr I would want more than 2650 fps. You should just try a 41.5-41.8 charge and get into the 2700s at least
That extra ±75-100 fps will come in handy at long range
I am not all hung up on speed, just accuracy out to 1335 yards (furthest available target).
Out beyond 1200+ you are going to want that extra speed, you may even want 140s if the winds are up.

Range CardMV 265010mph
Range
(y)
Velocity
(fps)
Energy
(ft-lbs)
Elevation
(mils)
Windage
(mils)
TOF
(s)
1300​
1047​
317​
-16.29​
3.47​
2.38​
1400​
1010​
294​
-18.98​
3.85​
2.67​

130 VLD you are looking at ± 3.5 mils in a 10mph wind at 1300yd, at quoted speeds.

Last edited:
I agree with the above. These aren't exactly heavy bullets to be having that slow of a muzzle velocity. Heck, I'd even look for ~2800s if you can get there safely!

Wow guys, thanks for all the advice! I decided (from everyone's feedback) that I will load 41.1 gr through 41.7 gr in .2 grain increments and test. I should let everyone know, I will be hunting with the 130 VLDs and shooting long range this fall in my first ever competition with VLD match 130 gr. We are in the Midwest at 1250 ft. elevation, the Bergers should fly just fine but I agree that the bullets will be more wind and elevation sensitive. The temps change here frequently and drastically...and very extreme between Summer and winter. I will no doubt have to develop two loads, one for hunting and one for the range.

I think I will verify the good SD load from the previous range trip and keep that as my hunting load (if it wasn't a fluke). In Eastern Kansas, the areas I hunt, a person is lucky to ever get off a 400 yard shot, but it is unnecessary to shoot that distance. Most of the kills with my experience have been 125 yards on in. I think the low SD, low velocity load will work just fine, but I will have to verify the same load when the temps drop for hunting season. Along with the verification of the previous load...I will have to test accuracy at a lot longer distances to settle for 130 gr projectiles. I did get around to measuring the group that was shot, it measured .33 inches or .315 MOA. Best group I have ever shot!

I'll report back on the trip to the range this week and post the results. Thanks to all who responded...it is greatly appreciated!

I just took a first crack at developing two inital loads for a friend who has a Ruger RPR in 6.5 CM. The top two eyeball shots were with the 147 ELDM's and the nose shots were with the 140 match burners:

View attachment 7932707

My son was not taking his time and had the two nose flyers. These are at 100 yards. Loads are:

41.50​
41.00​

From what I read here on the Hide, 41.5 ish is the shit. I did not measure velocity or SD/ES as this was just a favor to a PITA friend. Maybe it will give you a good place to start.

Awesome, thank you! I'll post the results from this weeks range trip along with some grouping pictures.

That extra ±75-100 fps will come in handy at long range

Out beyond 1200+ you are going to want that extra speed, you may even want 140s if the winds are up.

Range CardMV 265010mph
Range
(y)
Velocity
(fps)
Energy
(ft-lbs)
Elevation
(mils)
Windage
(mils)
TOF
(s)
1300​
1047​
317​
-16.29​
3.47​
2.38​
1400​
1010​
294​
-18.98​
3.85​
2.67​

130 VLD you are looking at ± 3.5 mils in a 10mph wind at 1300yd, at quoted speeds.
Thanks for that!

Be interested to see if you experience what I believe is a cold bore POI shift. Seems significant with this rifle. Good luck with testing!

Wow guys, thanks for all the advice! I decided (from everyone's feedback) that I will load 41.1 gr through 41.7 gr in .2 grain increments and test. I should let everyone know, I will be hunting with the 130 VLDs and shooting long range this fall in my first ever competition with VLD match 130 gr. We are in the Midwest at 1250 ft. elevation, the Bergers should fly just fine but I agree that the bullets will be more wind and elevation sensitive. The temps change here frequently and drastically...and very extreme between Summer and winter. I will no doubt have to develop two loads, one for hunting and one for the range.

I think I will verify the good SD load from the previous range trip and keep that as my hunting load (if it wasn't a fluke). In Eastern Kansas, the areas I hunt, a person is lucky to ever get off a 400 yard shot, but it is unnecessary to shoot that distance. Most of the kills with my experience have been 125 yards on in. I think the low SD, low velocity load will work just fine, but I will have to verify the same load when the temps drop for hunting season. Along with the verification of the previous load...I will have to test accuracy at a lot longer distances to settle for 130 gr projectiles. I did get around to measuring the group that was shot, it measured .33 inches or .315 MOA. Best group I have ever shot!

I'll report back on the trip to the range this week and post the results. Thanks to all who responded...it is greatly appreciated!
I have reloaded for more years than I want to admit. I always pushed my loads in any caliber until I saw signs of excessive pressure. Long range shooting or hunting I used the heaviest bullets twist would handle. I hate trailing wounded animals. I always favored the .243 and 25-06 calibers. I just bought the Henry Long Ranger 6.5 Creedmoor. I know that lever guns are not known for long range shooting, but the Henry is clip fed with a floating 22 inch barrel. I live in North Mississippi around some soybean fields so I am looking forward to trying the Henry on some 500 yard targets before deer season.

I ran 140gr ELD-Ms out of a 24" Rem700 (26" now) which should be similar to your BMP. Lapua LRP, 41.5gr H4350, 2750fps (2815 at 26"). I started to see primer flattening around 42.3gr. A buddy runs the 130gr Bergers out of a 24" Proof in a Tikka at 2900fps with 42.0gr H4350 in Lapua LRP. I'd look to bump up your ladder until you hit pressure and see what the speeds measure.

I load 130eldm with 42.8 gr h4350 2890fps. No pressure at problems at all.

Howdy everyone. Just joined up and look forward to all the great info. In the process of getting a Christensen Arms Ridgeline .300 WM ready for hunting. It’s fun , but expensive, buying all the needed parts. Started with Seekins precision Picatinny 20MOA rail. MDT Elite Rings. Leupold VX6 HD 4-24 x 52 for glass. Plan on shooting Berger 210 gr. VLD with Lapua brass. Haven’t been able to get powder or primers yet, but leaning towards H1000 and CCI mag primers. Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks

Hey Gary12, welcome to snipershide. Probably lots of good info in this particular thread on reloading but this is a 6.5 creedmoor thread. Check out the reloading depot on 300wm info and it might be more what your looking for.

Im just developing a load for my Stock RPR and this is what works well in my rifle. Probably going to do seating depth test at 41.5. Havent pushed it much but there may be another node in the 42 gn range. These are based of a single shot. 205m seems to be the best for my rifle.

Powder test 205M 6.5.png
Powder test CCI 6.5.png
Powder test BR4 6.5.png

Im just developing a load for my Stock RPR and this is what works well in my rifle. Probably going to do seating depth test at 41.5. Havent pushed it much but there may be another node in the 42 gn range. These are based of a single shot. 205m seems to be the best for my rifle.

View attachment 8237650View attachment 8237655View attachment 8237652
Sorry to say that one shot velocity ladders are a waist of time as they really tell nothing. Repeatability is really what it's all about and if you repeat those loads (exactly as loaded) you'll find you can't repeat what you see here. The more shots you take for each load results in a pretty liner line with no "flat spots". Better to shoot 3 shot minimum per load and let the target tell you what's working best.

Last edited:

View attachment 7932707

My son was not taking his time and had the two nose flyers. These are at 100 yards. Loads are:

41.50​
41.00​

41.5 is in Hornady brass.

Sorry to say that one shot velocity ladders are a waist of time as they really tell nothing. Repeatability is really what it's all about and if you repeat those loads (exactly as loaded) you'll find you can't repeat what you see here. The more shots you take for each load results in a pretty liner line with no "flat spots". Better to shoot 3 shot minimum per load and let the target tell you what's working best.
They give you an idea of pressure and an idea of the velocity range you will be in. I usually shoot them when i can't find load data. Or when looking for the top end of what an OCW test will be. If if a guy shot 30 per charge in a "velocity ladder" a flat spot would still be an anomaly.

Reactions: straightshooter1
They give you an idea of pressure and an idea of the velocity range you will be in. I usually shoot them when i can't find load data. Or when looking for the top end of what an OCW test will be. If if a guy shot 30 per charge in a "velocity ladder" a flat spot would still be an anomaly.
Yup, it's a good way to pressure test and see where the limit might be . . .
. . . even when there's load data available. ;)

Reactions: supercorndogs