• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading, a few questions .

mjh30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2008
Edmonds Washington
Guys, I have read, and reread again the reloading posts, especially Doc's and then bought the reloading books and read again. I got a rockchucker, Redding Type S neck dies and comp seater, Redding thrower and RCBS digital scale and everything else that I thought I would need. I figured I would start with new brass and bought a hundred Lapua and a couple hundred Win brass. Now the only problem I seem to have is trimming the brass to the correct length, I bought a Possom Hollow case trimmer but I can't seem to trim the brass to the 2.005 that I need using this tool. The box of lapua I got measures from 2.004 thru 2.011 or thereabouts, I actually thought they would be spot on, but they ain't. So do I take the plunge and buy something like the Wilson-Sinclair case trimmer. Is there a secret to trimming brass to the correct lenght, thanks for any advice guys.
marty

Re: New to reloading, a few questions .

I never had any trouble trimming to length with my (el cheapo) Lee trimmers.

I suspect if you trim, measure, trim again, you will stumble over whatever procedural error you are currently making.

If you size your brass before trimming and if the shoulder heights are set uniformly, then the Possum Hollow device should give even trim lengths. This tool, like a Giraud or Gracey, indexes off of the case shoulder, and trim length varies with shoulder height. If you're working with brass not previously fired, don't attempt to trim until the brass has been fired in your rifle.

Obviously I am making some simple mistake that I can rectify, I have noticed that the shoulder on new Lapua brass seems a little different from new Win brass that I have, perhaps my problem was trying to trim the brass before I even fired it. I am going to sit down tonight and measure the Lapua brass and see what size differences I get. Thanks for the advice, I can get the oal to correct lenght using the seater, but if the brass is all over the place its not going to help my accuracy.

I use the Redding 2400 trimmer, and as long as I place the case head in the same grip diameter, I have no problems getting my .308 cases down to 2.005" consistently.

I actaully looked at that trimmer today and the Wilson-Sinclair since both have the micrometer, just have to decide which one.

I have a wilson trimmer and recommend it. I size my brass and then trim all of it to the length of the shortest case. With new cases this generally means they are shorter than needed. This allows consistency and a few firings before They need trimming again.

Sim