• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading, did I make a mistake

tofst4u2no

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 27, 2011
Davenport, FL
Just getting into reloading for my 700p LTR in .308. I saw that Palmetto State Armory was having a 20% off sale on reloading products and I went ahead and bought an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master reloading kit. Came out to right at $263 shipped for the kit which I thought was a good deal. I should have done more research first because now I'm reading alot of comments that the kits are a waste of money. I'm sure that some things in the kit will be replaced by better products but the base of the kit which is the press, scale, and powder measure seemed worth the price alone. Should I have gone another route and just cancel my order, or will the kit give me a good starting point? Thanks in advance for any help

Re: New to reloading, did I make a mistake

You didn't get hurt by buying that.
You will replace all of it over time except the press. Use it, have fun!!

When I started I went with a kit. It was a good start. Over a period of time, however, I began to systematically replace and upgrade my equipment and components. I imagine a lot of forum members did the same thing. It's your call. You can get a kit now and start reloading, knowing that you will most likely start upgrading your equipment as you learn more. This permits you to spread your investment over a period of time. Or... you can do your homework and identify exactly what you want to buy and then buy it. There's no right or wrong way.

You did fine, I still use a lot of the stuff that came in my kit, I am just adding to it over the years.

I have said it before: for reloading do not expect to be able to identify and purchase the exact set of components the first time

I would imagine avid loaders are still changing up after 20 years

Just what these guys said, I started with a Honrday lock and load kit which did all I needed. As i started realoading and shooting more I started buyin some of the more expensive items. Another point, start simple, if for some reason you decide reloading is not for you at least you won't have sunk a ton of money into equipment that you have to turn around and sell.

You did fine as said above. Start slow & have fun doing it. Reloading is my get away time. You will learn what works for you & what doesnt. You will add equipment as you go. No worries

I started with that kit. Saved me a butt load of money. The only thing that never gets used is the lube pad. I use Imperial Wax. FYI, RCBS has a rebate program going on right now for $50 back on $300 worth of RCBS stuff.

http://www.rcbs.com/pdf/RC249_RebateCoupon.pdf

I think you did well. The kits are good for beginners even though they come with stuff you may replace. With the kit you can get up and running without having to do too much running back and forth to the store to get this or that. Plus, you get to learn what you like and don't like about the tools included without having to buy expensive tools to find out if you like them or not.

Yes.

You didnt mention buying bullets, powder and primers so I assume you have all this nice new gear and no raw materials with which to have fun.

Rookie!

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like I did OK on the deal and it will give me a good start on what I need to get going. I still have a bit to buy before I get started. Definitely need bullets, powder, primers. I have a few hundred pieces of once fired FGMM to get me started. Just need to get a tumbler and clean it up. I'm definitely excited to get started.

With reloading, no matter what you have, you will get more stuff and replace other stuff. That is a good start.

You'll have a good start, but you will have to get some measuring tools such as calipers and comparators for headspacing and more.

Reloading - The most expensive thing you will ever do in the quest for saving money.

God, Why do I love it so?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tofst4u2no</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm reading alot of comments that the kits are a waste of money.</div></div>

I would not agree with that. I think you did good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: George63</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would imagine avid loaders are still changing up after 20 years </div></div>

......Make that 40 years !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: pmclaine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Reloading - The most expensive thing you will ever do in the quest for saving money.

God, Why do I love it so? </div></div>

The three biggest lies ever told

1) check's in the mail

2) its just a cold sore

3) reloading will save you money

laugh.gif