• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading, need some info on .308 loads.

Brandon1

Private
Minuteman
Ok I apologize if this is a common question, I searched but couldnt find much.

I have a FN PBR .308 20" barrel. I would like to start re-loading my 7.62x50 brass. I am thinking about buying the Lee Classic reloading kit since it seems to be a good start for new reloaders.

First off, I know that the kit comes with most everything you need besides bullets, primers and powder. Does the kit come with anything to measure the powder with? I see a little spoon, but is that accurate to what I need?

Also, what powder/bullets would I need for my particular gun? Does anyone have a FN PBR 20" that would like to share what works for them? Does the brand of powder matter or just go get any old powder?

Thanks!

Re: New to reloading, need some info on .308 loads.

Brandon21, you are asking alot of questions that to me indicate you havent the slightest idea about reloading... and i dont mean this in a harsh way either.

I would suggest purchasing a reloading manual and reading that first. Please do yourself the favor and buy a reloading manual. It doesnt matter if the reloading kit you want comes with one, as having different reloading manuals is a good thing.

First off this would be my recomendation.

Reloading can be dangerous if you dont know what your doing, and its a hobby that requires your fullest attention... mistakes in this hobby cause injuries and deaths so make sure you read up about everything first.

1. You will need a powder measure. The easiest method of doing this is with a charge thrower, balance beam and a powder trickler. The charge thrower throws rough measuresments of powder close to a range you select. You then measure thrown charges on the balance beam, and use the powder trickler to drop minute amounts of powder to get you to the EXACT measurement you require.

2. For a .308 gun there are a massive range of projectiles. Depending on your barrels twist rate will determine the weight of the projectile, and the intended use is up to you. 1:12' twist rates can take up to 180gr in general, anything about 180gr requires a twist rate of 1:11 or 1:10 depending on projectile weight. Some projectiles are for hunting, some for shooting paper targets, some are for both.

3. Powder is determined by calibre. Ask your local shops what powder suit you best. Varget powder may be a good place for you to start but there are many others out there.

This hobby is all about research, however it is extremely rewarding. Be safe, read up LOTS, pay attention, do your homework and you should end up with a decent load in the near future.

vman, you hit it right on the head. I have no idea about reloading. I was asking tonight on a local forum if anyone would re-load for me and they said "why not just go get a lee classic reloader for $30 and do it yourself?" I figured, what the hey, i'll at least do some research.

I have a 1:12 twist barrel.

I figure so far I have this picked out,

Lee Classic Reloader
4046 powder at between 42-45gr
Sierra 168gr BTHP bullets

I need some primers and a scale. I hope to find primers local since apparently there is a $25 hazmat fee for ordering online.

You're getting good advice so far. I strongly recommend these two books for new reloaders:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=738288

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=217655

I also strongly recommend doing a lot of research before you purchase anything but books. Buy and read the two I recommended, and you'll have a much better understanding of what you'll need for equipment.

Is this the kit you're referring to: http://www.cabelas.com/p-0003091210526a.shtml If so, I honestly can't recommend it for anything other than a stop-gap measure. Don't get me wrong - it <span style="font-style: italic">WILL</span> load usable ammo. You'll just realize that you're severely limited by your equipment after about a week.

<span style="font-style: italic">This</span> Lee press is highly recommended: http://www.leeprecision.com/html/catalog/classic.html, as are the RCBS Rockchucker, Redding Boss (or Big Boss), or comparable press.

My philosophy is to buy once, cry once (over price). If you buy any Lee press other than the Classic Cast (or Classic Cast Turret), you'll end up replacing it, and probably sooner rather than later. Do a Google search of Lee press issues, and you'll find plenty to reinforce my opinion, trust me!

Brandon21,
I will give a +1 to all the info above. I will also add be careful when reading on the web. When people post their powder charge weights. Never forget that there are never two chambers a like. Even if they are cut with the same reamer the two chambers will be different. Until you are 100% positive of your ablity to clearly recognize pressure signs never stray from your loading mannual!

In addition to everything that has already been said, always remember-there are NO stupid questions when it comes to reloading. Never be afraid to ask about something you don't know...most folks would prefer to spend the time explaining something to you than for you to have a catastrophically unpleasant reloading experience.

There are plenty of suggestions for all of these things in every reloading manual in existence.

Go buy one and read it. Then read it again.

Then post questions.

I would STRONGLY suggest a LEE or if you have the cash RCBS reloading kit to start with. The LEE comes with a press,powder measure,case trimmer,priming tool,scale,and some lite reading. You still need dies with these kits. But you will be much happier with something like this over the "classic" hammer reloader.
As everyone has said READ then READ more,when you think you know it..READ it again.
I used to work in a gun store when I was a kid, on the wall was a old Sears bolt action missing the bolt. Some beginner reloader thought that "X" amount of powder worked for all powders. Well after reloading a few rounds with "X" amount of red dot powder he went to the range pulled the trigger and put the bolt through his head!! This stuck with me,so now I think of this every time I pull the handle on a press.

Brandon, some other suggestions I have for you.

As you are new to this hobby, If you can find it, I would recomend using Lapua .308 Brass. My reason for this is because it is probably the best brass out there, maybe its second to Norma brass, however it is damn good brass. Its cheaper than norma and In my opinion is worth every cent.

The Lapua brass is great because it requires very little prep work when compared to most other brass out there. What this means is you can usually start shooting with it without much brass prep work... you can then practice brass prep techniques later on down the stage once you are reloading each case a few times.

Plus the Lapua brass will most likely get you the most reloads per case, PROVIDED you set up your dies properly.

After you have researched and done your homework then ask yourself, why are you reloading.

Are you doing it to save on cash? Are you doing it squeeze out as much accuracy from your rifle as possible? Or are you simply after an in depth hobby that you can immerse yourself into?

See, reloading can fulfill many roles and depending on what your use for it is will often determine the equipment you decide to purchase.

If your after simple reloads to save on money, then your equipment may only need to be very basic, yet cost effective.

If your after the most accuracy you can get, then you will most likely start looking at all of the various products available and try to determine which works best for you... This can get expensive, but in my opinion is highly rewarding and addictive.

I found myself wanting to reload for cost saving reasons, I now find myself reading through the Sinclairs International catalogue trying to decide the next piece of equipment I will buy. I could easily spend over $2000 US on reloading equipment.

I once thought that I was an avid shooter... I now think, Im an avid reloader who occasionaly shoots!

Thats food for thought
laugh.gif

Vman I like that line..

"I once thought I was a avid shooter...I now think I'm a avid reloader who occasionally shoots."

With my 50bmg I used to reload to get the best out of the gun.Now I'm shooting it to see how well I did on the loads..

BULLET SPONGE, isnt it the most amazing hobby.

I can seriously sit on the couch for hours flicking thru the sinclair catalogue drooling over the things i want to buy next.

I figure, Il purchase different gadgets here and there and add to my overall collection of accuracy increasing reloading gear...

Once i have squeezed every last drop of accuracy out of one of my rifles, Il most likely purchase another calibre and then do the same thing for it.

Not only does it teach you more about shooting, it shows you the intricate details of your rifles behaviour...

Reloading is a science in itself... its almost like psychology, but for firearms
laugh.gif