• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Reloading. What do I need to get started?

Smurph_

Private
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2021
Texas
I’m only about a year into the precision shooting game and I’m about to begin reloading. I don’t know much about it. The best factory load for my .308 that I have been able to find is Federal Gold Medal Match. I have about 400 spent cases that I’ve kept. If I want to begin reloading precision ammo, what equipment would I need to get started?

Find an experienced reloader close and spend some time reloading with them.

Get a reloading manual or three and read from cover to cover.

FYI Components(primers, powder) are generally in short supply right now... you might want to hold off trying to get started reloading.

I definitely will. The only experienced reloaded I know is my dad. I suppose I will get him on board.

If you see a Forster press or dies grab them!
Components will be challenging

Precision reloading is a little different than just the reloading that is described in a standard reloading manual. You need to educate yourself on all of the tools most of us use to make precision ammo. Understanding the reasons for using bushing dies, annealing, neck turning, neck mandrels, comparators, primer pocket uniforming tools, flash hole deburring, body dies & Lee Collet dies, arbor presses, measuring runout and a few more.

The book that helped me understand a lot of this is Handloading for Competition by Glen Zedicker.

For me, after going through the whole bushing die setup, I found that a Lee Collet die along with a Redding Body Dieand a good micrometer seating die made ammo just as accurate as the bushing die do at a much lower cost.

Many ways to skin the Cat. It's good to learn the different ways to do it.

Precision reloading is a little different than just the reloading that is described in a standard reloading manual. You need to educate yourself on all of the tools most of us use to make precision ammo. Understanding the reasons for using bushing dies, annealing, neck turning, neck mandrels, comparators, primer pocket uniforming tools, flash hole deburring, body dies & Lee Collet dies, arbor presses, measuring runout and a few more.

The book that helped me understand a lot of this is Handloading for Competition by Glen Zedicker.

For me, after going through the whole bushing die setup, I found that a Lee Collet die along with a Redding Body Dieand a good micrometer seating die made ammo just as accurate as the bushing die do at a much lower cost.

Many ways to skin the Cat. It's good to learn the different ways to do it.
I don’t do half those things for .308 and get single digit SDs with Varget, FGGM brass and primers. Accuracy is 3/4 MOA at its worst and also it’s a Savage 🤣

Otherwise, get your dad to help you. Find some Varget for .308.

If you see a Forster press or dies grab them!
Why is that?

OP , spend a lot of time with other people that have reloaded.
Buy some components and reload with them to see if it's something that you would like to do.

I don’t do half those things for .308 and get single digit SDs with Varget, FGGM brass and primers. Accuracy is 3/4 MOA at its worst and also it’s a Savage 🤣

Otherwise, get your dad to help you. Find some Varget for .308.
I don't do some of them either, although your comment about single digit SD's says you know what S/D E/S is and use a chronograph. A lot of regular reloaders don't use a chronograph or understand what a single digit S/D means and why it can be important in L/R shooting.

My point was for the O/P to get some education. The O/P said he doesn't know much about it(reloading). Maybe his Dad knows about some of this stuff, maybe he doesn't.

Reactions: db2000
I’m only about a year into the precision shooting game and I’m about to begin reloading. I don’t know much about it. The best factory load for my .308 that I have been able to find is Federal Gold Medal Match. I have about 400 spent cases that I’ve kept. If I want to begin reloading precision ammo, what equipment would I need to get started?
Just give me your Credit Card and I'll do the Rest

• Haha
Reactions: acudaowner
If you are just starting to reload the best tool you can have is a mentor. Second, patience and constantly remembering safety is paramount. Finally, reading books and online articles/reports, and participating in such an excellent forum such as SH. Oh, that there are exceptions to every rule and do what works for YOU; every weapon, cartridge, and environment is different.