• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading What should I get?

gvcandyman

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2010
I am new to guns but have become interested reloading. What presses do you think are the best for a beginner? What else I need to get? Thanks for all your help. I love getting all this good advice from you guys.

Re: New to reloading What should I get?

Either an RCBS RockChucker or a Redding Big Boss. Both are very good. Both companies have good customer service department.

I like the LEE AutoPrime priming tool. But to each his own.

There are several good powder measures on the market. I like most of them. Except the LEE. It seems to me like it really has some design problems.

For a beginner, start with standard dies from either Redding or RCBS. Other things can come as you need them.

The main thing you REALLY need to buy right now is the latest copy of Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual. Read the startup and safety sections at least twice. Lyman isn't trying to sell you primers, powder or bullets. It has more USABLE data than any 2 or 3 other handloading manuals.

My shpeal:
I have thousands of $ worth of reloading gear, and use very little of it.

I started with a rockchucker kit, and still use the:
1) Uniflow powder measure
2) 505 weight scale
3) chamfering tool.

These parts of the kit I don't use any more:
1) "Speer 12" handloading book
2) RCBS lube
3) Rockchucker press
4) loading blocks
5) RCBS powder funnel
6) Lube pad
7) RCBS priming system
8) RCBS case trim system
9) RCBS primer pocket cleaner brush

It is best to go to someone's house and watch them handload, and try it there. Other than that, one should either get started as cheap as possible with Lee, or cut to the chase and buy the Forster equipment.

I am thinking that the cheapest is the way to start.
Many people do not take to reloading.
1) Skip cleaning the brass used brass you found lying around.
2) Lube the outside of the case with Redding Imperial die wax.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=519525
$7.79
3) Put the sizer die in the press and screw the press to your work bench.
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=807734
$27.99
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=738184
$13.49
4) Take the decapping stem out of the sizer die.
5) Put a shell holder in the press:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=616684
$3.49
6) Put the case in the shell holder in the press and push down on the press handle until the brass goes all the way into the die. Pull up on the handle until the brass comes out.
7) Spin the decapping stem in a drill while you grind off enough of the expander ball, until the expander ball will fit in the sized case mouth without touching.
8) Put the decapping stem back in the die and size the die again so the spent primer pops out.
9)Put the primer in the priming tool:
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=556149
$14.99
WOLF LARGE PISTOL PRIMERS - per 1000 in stock at Powder Valley $25.50
put the case in the shell holder.
Put the shell holder in the priming tool.
Put the priming tool in the press.
Seat the primer.
10) Weigh out 40 gr IMR4895 powder
IMR 4895 - 1 LB. in stock at Powder Valley
$19.00
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=712103
$21.99
11) Pour the powder into the case
12) Seat a bullet into the case until the cartridge length is 2.81"
Sierra .308 168 gr. HPBT Match (100)in stock at Powder valley
$27.92
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=128288
$25.99
13) Put the loaded cartridge in a plastic baggie with a post it with these words written, ".308, 2.81", 40 gr IMR4895, Sierra 168 gr HPBT"
14) Go to the range and shoot groups.
15) Return from the range and write up an email range report listing the date, the rifle, the scope, the wind, the rest, the group size, and the load data on the post it.
16) Print the range report and staple it to the targets.
17) File it under "range reports"

I am adding up that it cost you $162.65

Most people who say they want to start reloading, never really get into it.
So most people should start out cheap as possible, and sell it when they don't use it.
Those that really get into it, can get a co-ax press later.

As Clark said, this is what it boils down to: <span style="font-weight: bold">It is best to go to someone's house and watch them handload, and try it there. Other than that, one should either get started as cheap as possible with Lee, or cut to the chase and buy the Forster equipment.</span>

I started with the Forster stuff and have been slowly but surely learning my way around the reloading world. There's a ton of people on the Hide who are what I'd consider to be experts and can definitely point you in the right direction. And always listen to Victor TN, he knows what he's talking about.

What do you hope to achieve from reloading would be my first question?

Also take a look at the Lee Classic Cast press. Lots of people who can't stand Lee Products really like the Classic Cast press and it's really cheap. Midway has it for about $85 as I recall and it has a similar spent primer system as the much more expensive ($180?) Redding Big Boss II. Sounds like the new RCBS Rock Chucker is now made in China and a lot of people are warning against them. I used an older RC and it worked flawlessly though so if you can find an older used RockChucker I say get it. Otherwise it's tough to beat the Less Classic Cast for value if you're buying new.

I'd like to make cheep cartridges. And have a good accurate cartridge.

Cheap and accurate are somewhat mutually exclusive. Are you only loading rifle calibers? Do you shoot matches? Most of the posts have been related to single stage systems, if you want "cheap" then you need volume which will equal a multi-stage press.

I don't know your location, but the services I offer give you a chance to try out a lot of different presses and equipment before you commit to buying it.

second question rifle (long or short range) or handgun rounds?

if your reloading for the cheapest and most accurate rifle rounds and you are planning on being serious about shooting. I personally would buy the best equipment I could afford forster, redding and or rcbs in that order and I'd read all the info in the stickys on reloading and ensure that I had most if not all specified equipment , I wouldn't bother wasting any cash on lee stuff....but If you're not that serious about shooting and want to just try reloading out and do it as low cost as possible then I'd say pick up a cheap lee kit and see how you like it but in my opinion to make very accurate rounds you need some precise equipment, and that would not be lee.

what are the advantages and disadvantages of using a progressive as opposed to a single stage?

Progressive = plinking ammo
Single Stage = Precision ammo

Reloading manuals, as many as you can afford. ABC's of Reloading 8th edition, Lee Modern Reloading 2nd Edition, Hornady's 7th Handbook for Cartridge Reloading, Lyman 49th edition Reloading Handbook, Sierra's 5th edition Reloading Manual, Nosler reloading manual no. 6, A-Square Any Shot You Want, Barnes reloading manual no. 4, Speer reloading manual no. 14, P.O. Ackley's Handbook for Shooters and Reloaders (volumes 1 and 2), Precision Shooting: Reloading Guide, VihtaVuori Reloading Manual 4th edition, etc.
IMO VV's, Speer's, Swift's, Barnes', and Nosler's books are somewhat limited in data, and they pretty much focus on their powders or bullets exclusively. The other publications listed such as Lyman's, Sierra's, and Lee's books do include data for other bullet manufacturer's and powders.

Read all these books and then you will have very few questions as to what you need or should buy for reloading. Hodgdon publishes load data for Hodgdon and IMR powders online at http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Yah

For getting started cheap and loading accurate ammo get these items:

1) Lee Classic kit
2) Lee manual case trimmer
3) Lee Collet neck sizing die (if you are loading for rifle)
4) Forster or Redding full length sizing die
5) Forster or Redding bullet seating die
6) RCBS or similar calipers
7) The ABC's of Reloading book

The Lee kit will get you started with almost everytihg you need and the rest will give you very consistent results when loading.

Read as much as you can in the several reloading manuals and books that are out there. Watch Youtube videos. Read as much as you can here in the Hide.

Once you have started, if you decide you like it and want to get more into it, there are many, many more tools out there. Knowlege and safety are your best friends when it comes to reloading read, read, read and follow directions and do your due diligence always.