• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading

HunterH

K9
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2012
Alabaster AL
I am using 1 time fired factory federal case, Varget and 155 grain sierra, and also bought some 155 grain hornady. Gun is a .308 with a 1-12 twist Kreiger MTU barrel. What would be a good starting point? I was told by my gunsmith since it was a 1-12 twist I should start with 155 grain bullets. True?

Re: New to reloading

I would start about 44grn and work up .3 steps.
Your 1-12 will let you shoot up to 190's ok, and many can go even heavier if you push them hard enough.

If you do decide to stick to 155 weight, don't overlook the lapua scenars when your comfortable with reloads!
Good luck!
smile.gif

Did you have a particular propellent in mind for that 44gr starting load?

HunterH, forget about trying load information from well meaning anonymous folks on the Internet. Get a good handloading manual from the folks who make the bullets you're using, and start with reading and rereading their handloading instructions section in its entirety.

Select a propellent and bullet; and try working up load beginning with their recommended minimum.

As a new handloader, you should work your way through this entire sequence at least once in order to learn how to observe the process and understand causes and effects.

For a first load development exercise, be generous with your test load samples. I'd use .3gr as a charge increment for the .308 and at least 10, perhaps 20 rounds of each. Shoot 5 round groups and average those group sizes. It's a learning experience and there's more to learn besides just finding a 'good load'. There can be shortcuts to this, but now is not the time for shortcuts.

Greg

Hunter,
I have almost the exact same gun set up and use 155gr A-Max with 46gr of Varget. It works extremely well for me out to 1K!!! Start lower with your charges, maybe 44gr and work up in half grain steps. I have a MV of about 2910 with my 26" Kreiger barrel.

Thats what I am doing. I went from 44,44.5,45,45.5,46,46.5 and gonna see how it works. The brass I have is kind of old and I am gonna wait till I order lapua brass and some more primers to go shooting.

Advice...

Hold off on the pricier components until you're completely comfortable with your skills on more average stuff like Rem/Win brass, Sierra bullets, etc.

Lapua will be easier to use (no prep) and <span style="font-style: italic">may</span> last longer, depending on how hot you load.

I do my load development with standard (not match) primers, then try match primers as a final step. Often I find that match primers will not give a cost-effective advantage over standard primers <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> the load development process was done truly effectively.

Match components will not necessarily ensure match accuracy. That is a product of the load development process. It's a shame how many match components get used in 'match' loads that are not effectively developed for true best accuracy. Good development with non-match components ahould nearly rival the same with match components.

More advice....

Do yourself a favor and skip past the newguy temptation to run 'em hot. There is no real advantage to such, and hot loads are tougher on brass and rifles without any genuine, long term benefit.

Greg

I have some fired brass that I have used to "practice with" on loading. I am gonna get up with a local guy and he is show me the proper way to reload. Thanks for the input

Sounds like you're off to a good start. I was very fortunate to have two Elder Brothers who got serious about accuracy and reloading in the late 1960's while I was away overseas.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Did you have a particular propellent in mind for that 44gr starting load?</div></div>

Yes, Varget, the powder the OP asked about in his first post..
smile.gif

I apologise, I should have been a bit clearer in my reply.