• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Reloading

Re: New to Reloading

I think thats a good kit. I use that press, that scale and that manual and I've been loading for years. RCBS is good equipment. I'd add a RCBS hand primer to that kit and you'll need a tumbler pretty quick. RCBS presses are very good, I have 2 but my next press will be a Forster Coax. Oh, and I'd go with Forster or Redding dies but really, most are good.

okie

That kit will serve you well for a long time. Most people figure out at a later time, maybe they want to prime differently or try new dies. But that kit will help you get started and making decent ammo.

If I might make a suggestion. Get a copy of the latest Lyman's Centerfire Handloading Manual and read the data sections that ARE NOT caliber specific. Especially the safety section on the basics. Read that section twice.

I suggest that book to everyone that's new to handloading. They aren't trying to sell you powder or bullets. And it has 3 times the USABLE information of other manuals.

1+ for both the RCBS kit and the Lyman manual. I now have 4 RCBS presses. Been very happy with them.

The primary item in that kit beyond the press is a scale. I frankly DO NOT see it as a good buy. Graf, MidSouth and Natchez all have good prices, and I suggest you do some shopping. The RockChucker kit is a good buy, but I recommend that you consider individual components to avoid buying stuff you don't need. Not every piece in a kit is preferred for its type.

You might check at midsouthshooterssupply.com . I think the kit is about $15 cheaper and generally SportsmansGuide charges way to much for shipping. Check delivered price and see if you can save some money. As the other boys have said- buy the Lyman reloading manual ( 'Reloading Handbook' ). They make several different reloading books. If you can find someone to help you get everything set and explained to you, it would help out alot. No matter what- read every page that explains reloading, working up handloads, etc . I would suggest reading the entire manual before you ever load a single round. You will also need dial or digital caliphers.

david

I prefer RCBS. I reccomend the Rock Chucker II press. They are floating around used as well as other equipment right now (hard times). I too would buy individal pieces unless you find a steal from someone selling out. The RC II can be had for $75-95, buy good scales, if you can afford it buy the chargemaster from RCBS. Then pick up pieces as you go as far as buying expensive items. Cabelas usually has good prices as well. Holidays are coming up , look for sales. Good luck on your purchase!
Larry

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Winchester 69</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The primary item in that kit beyond the press is a scale. I frankly DO NOT see it as a good buy. Graf, MidSouth and Natchez all have good prices, and I suggest you do some shopping. The RockChucker kit is a good buy, but I recommend that you consider individual components to avoid buying stuff you don't need. Not every piece in a kit is preferred for its type. </div></div>

I think the "primary items" must include the Sierra manual, its one of the best and goes for $25+. The rest are the cheaper items comparitivly speaking and could be substituted by other manufacturers same items, doubt they would be sugnificantly better though. Concidering the time you would spend searching the different web sites, looking for the best deal and waiting for deals to come up and order and ship, dont knoow if it would be worth it to get individual componants to learm with or not. Thing is, all the componants in that kit could be used from now on so you can be confident you're not throwing your money away. Lots of good ways to go though. Do your research and get what you're comfy with. Good luck.

okie

ps. A Chargmaster for a beginner?? Money better spent elsewhere. JMO.

If it's affordable, the ChargeMaster Combo makes sense when charges would otherwise have to be weighed and the loading volume can justify it. The powder measure and beam scale included in a kit are then unneeded and extraneous if the machine is purchased later. The powder measure may be extraneous under any circumstances.

My standard recommendation is for either the Combo or a beam scale with a set of Lee dippers. Then you get the press and accessories of your choice. In the end, you'll have better value for the money spent.

I would not overlook the Lee Classic cast press,I was going to buy another Rockchucker,then took a look at the Lee,it is now my favorite single stage press.I also like the Auto-prime.The Harrells Powder measure is one to look at when you want to upgrade

W69, you've made a good point but I'm still not sure I agree. The OP has said that he is working with a < $600 budget, spending well over a third of it on a C.M. seems a bit frivolous. The key words in you point are "if the loading volume can justify it". If high volume is what he's looking for then a single stage is not gonna be what he wants in the first place and he's gonna need more money. IMO, no bench should be without a good beam scale, charge master or not. All electronics should be checked periodically. Dont get me wrong, I'd like to have a C.M. and I understand thier quality is very good but in all the years I've loaded i've never done it high volume so I could never really justify the cost. I understand this is mostly personal preference so all were really doing is telling the O.P. what WE prefer. BTW, damn you, now you've got me thinking about a Charge Master too!
frown.gif

okie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">BTW, damn you, now you've got me thinking about a Charge Master too!
frown.gif
</div></div>
May Santa Claus smile kindly upon you.

Re: New to Reloading (Lyman Reloading Manual)

Resurrecting the old thread.

I've got Lyman Reloading Manual 49th Edition. It lists BC for each bullet mentioned in its Data section - which is nice.

What is not nice at all is that nowhere in the book did they specify what standard they used to compute that BC - e.g. G1 or G7? And without that knowledge there's no ballistic calculation for long-range bullet drop, etc.

From the magnitude/ballpark of the BC values listed I'd conjecture they're based on G1 standard projectile. But if anybody knows - could you please enlighten me?

TNX!

smile.gif
Thanks!

How do you like your AICS? I love mine - but must admit that DTA SRS feels better.

Oh, and I envy your can! In my "friendly" state it's outlawed.
frown.gif

Got a response from Lyman, confirming: indeed all those BC's are G1.

You don't need the Chargemaster. It's really nice. But, if you are just starting out, the scale that comes with your RCBS RS-5 press will work just fine.

I would suggest that you also buy a Uniflow Powder Measurer. They are about 125 new. But, you can find them on ebay for 50 bucks new or used. The great thing about buying used RCBS stuff on ebay is the lifetime warranty. I bought all my reloading dies on ebay for about 1/3 of retail cost. A couple die sets were missing pieces. RCBS replaced the pieces for free.

If you want it right now, the kit is probably the best bet. Plenty on FleaBay. If you're patient, you can save piles by snooping around on outdoor sites. I paid $75 for my RC II and $60 for a 10-10 scale. It takes a little time though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mouse07410</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
smile.gif
Thanks!

How do you like your AICS? I love mine - but must admit that DTA SRS feels better.

Oh, and I envy your can! In my "friendly" state it's outlawed.
frown.gif
</div></div>

I had the option of the Bell and Carlson, but the palm swell was too chunky for my taste, so I went with the AICS.. Love it
smile.gif

The silencer is a godsend, makes for a much nicer shooting experience, and it's nice not to have to use ear protection all the time while doing range work!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Muttt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You don't need the Chargemaster. It's really nice. But, if you are just starting out, the scale that comes with your RCBS RS-5 press will work just fine.

I would suggest that you also buy a Uniflow Powder Measurer. They are about 125 new. But, you can find them on ebay for 50 bucks new or used. The great thing about buying used RCBS stuff on ebay is the lifetime warranty. I bought all my reloading dies on ebay for about 1/3 of retail cost. A couple die sets were missing pieces. RCBS replaced the pieces for free. </div></div>

Get the Micrometer adjustment screw and a baffle as well..