• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to reloading

Jnull

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 22, 2020
I’ve read a bunch of beginner reloading posts and watched some videos but there’s so many different options suited for different needs. I don’t shoot a ton, I work a lot, travel some for work and have a family with two kids ages 3 and 15. I’ve wanted to get into reloading for years but a lack of time and good space to setup has kept me from it. I bought a new rock chucker supreme master reloading kit off a buddy probably 10 years ago and it’s still new in the box. My gunsmith talked me into a 22 creed plus I’ll be putting another one together if the proof barrel ever shows up so I guess it’s time.

My goal for reloading is producing better/more consistent ammo than factory, not because I want or need another hobby. I make good money and don’t mind spending good money on good products but I don’t need the best and I don’t like to spend money unnecessarily. I want to buy the right equipment once I hate buying then upgrading so I’d like to start off with stuff that I won’t feel the need to upgrade. Main cartridges I’ll be loading are 22 creedmoor, 6.5 creedmoor, 7 PRC and 300 PRC. Maybe some 223 but factory ammo gets the job done in my coyote gun.

While there’s nothing wrong with the rock chucker press it seems the rest of the kit is less then ideal so I’m thinking about just selling it complete and piecing together what I need. A turret press is appealing, buy a different head each setup for a specific cartridge without the need to setup dies constantly or am I misunderstanding?

For the press and scale/trickler it looks like I can’t go wrong with a Redding T7 and FX-120i plus the autotrickler v4. Is that scale and powder dispenser way overkill for what I’ll be doing? I value my time and want accuracy and consistency but I’m not sure how other simpler and cheaper options compare.

I’m fortunate to have a couple buddies to help me out, they’re both heavily into benchrest and one is my gunsmith who’s also a bullet maker. I’ll be relying on them for help but it doesn’t hurt to get opinions on equipment and overall setup. My gunsmith is the one currently loading for my 22 creedmoor.

Last edited:
If you can afford that scale and trickler get it. Anything you can buy and not worry about upgrading later is a step in the right direction

That’s my thinking, and while I won’t be producing a ton of ammo now I’d like to think this will make me shoot more and maybe I’ll have more time in the future to dedicate to shooting.

Reactions: Two Mikes
I’ve been reloading for a long time. All my equipment is probably antiquated but I have a rockchucker and a dillon 650. For the RCBS I have a bunch of Hornady quick change bushing so I don’t have to reset the dies.

redding competition seating dies / bushing type s dies, RCBS Precision Mics for every caliber I load, bullet comparators for seating depth, WFT trimmers, 2 chargemaster cause waiting for powder is annoying, Lyman case prep, rotary tumbler, bullet puller (cause you will F up) i Think that’s the main stuff.

Reactions: Jnull
with the calibers you have, and the buy once, cry once mentality, this is where i’d be

Redding T-7 press with extra heads
fx120i with trickler
Henderson Trimmer setup
AMP annealer
Redding dies
Frankford arsenal wet tumbler with brass dryer
CPS primer seater

this is probably best of best situation, but there won’t be any upgrading, and all this equipment holds its value if you ever wanted to sell and get back out of reloading.

Reactions: simonp and Jnull
I look at reloading equipment as trading money for time. You can make reloads just as good on a single stage while hand trickling with a balance beam scale, but you save a minute a round going to an AutoTrickler.

Get an automatic powder dispenser. The autothrow is great, the IP trickler is even better.

Get a trimmer that is a)powered and 2, trims/chamfers/de burrs all in one step. I like the Henderson and other people swear by giraud. Pick either.

Those two were the biggest time savers in rifle reloading for me.

with the calibers you have, and the buy once, cry once mentality, this is where i’d be

Redding T-7 press with extra heads
fx120i with trickler
Henderson Trimmer setup
AMP annealer
Redding dies
Frankford arsenal wet tumbler with brass dryer
CPS primer seater

this is probably best of best situation, but there won’t be any upgrading, and all this equipment holds its value if you ever wanted to sell and get back out of reloading.

Do you think the creedmoor sports upgrades or heads are worthwhile? I can buy the press with their head but I think I can buy the press and their head cheaper separate if that’s the way to go.

Which series Redding dies do you recommend looking at?

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

If you want a turret press I’d skip the Redding and pick up a Zero press - it’s a rock solid turret press.
Redding dies are good but I’m really liking the SAC Modular dies I’ve been using this past year on a couple of calibers. Whidden dies are very nice and well respected as well.

Good advice on the AMP and trimmers. Giraud or Henderson - pick one.

For a tumbler, look at the Rebel 17. More solid metal construction than the FA plastic one and mine has been a workhorse. I tumble about 20 minutes without pins, chips, or other media and am happy with the results. Might save you a few bucks on media but there are enough threads here already arguing about what is “best” to read yourself to sleep many nights.

Reactions: simonp
I load on a T7 with Redding Competition dies and a 419 Zero with SAC Modular dies. I don’t think one is making better ammo than the other. The T7 and Redding are cheaper, the Zero and SAC has more smiles per mile when using.

I also just switched my SAC 7-08 to 7-08 AI for the $35 cost of a neck/shoulder bushing. It just paid for itself vs a new set of 7-08 AI dies.

I’m sure the zero is nice but at nearly 4x the cost of the T7 it’s not worth it unless it’s making noticeably better ammo. I like nice things but don’t need the best just to have it unless it’s justifying the price.

Reactions: 99mpower
I would get the new SAC Nexus press instead of Zero press or you can even get a Dillion 750 for quicker process.
Autotrickler v4 would last for quite a while.
Die wise Redding Type S FL sizing dies set or SAC dies should cover everything you need.
Priming tool, 21st century hand priming tool is good enough, no need to spend the extra on CPS.
Trimming/debur/chamfer, Giraud if you have time to tune for each caliber, otherwise a Lyman Case Prep center is good enough for the job.
Annealing, AMP annealer is the best on the market.

Sac modular are nice in my case where I’m loading for a couple different creedmoors that headspace the same le Wilson makes my favorite sizing dies

Reactions: Herb Stoner
While researching the CPS primer I came across ugly reloading and ordered a couple shell holders, the headspace/comparator set and priming tool. All those things seem to be really well liked and all together were less then half of what the CPS is.

Both of my benchrest friends are pushing back on me pretty hard for wanting to run a turret press, I did a decent amount of reading on them and the general consensus seemed to be no one could tell the difference in ammo quality between a T7 and quality single stage. A lot of guys also seem to want to run multiple single stage presses, should I consider getting one for the ugly priming tool and possibly use that press for depriming as well? I could use the rock chucker I have for those operations. Or get a second rock chucker and convert them to the hornady lock n load system? Lots of way to go on this but turret would be great to setup a head for each caliber.

...I’ve read a bunch of beginner reloading posts and watched some videos but there’s so many different options suited for different needs...

...but I’m not sure how other simpler and cheaper options compare.

be prepared to get proposal for ONLY overpriced shit of equipement on this forum... from presses to priming tools to annealers to dies...

Reactions: JerkyFreak
A lot of guys also seem to want to run multiple single stage presses, should I consider getting one for the ugly priming tool and possibly use that press for depriming as well? I could use the rock chucker I have for those operations. Or get a second rock chucker and convert them to the hornady lock n load system? Lots of way to go on this but turret would be great to setup a head for each caliber.

You already have the rock chucker. It’s a well regarded single stage press. Run that until you figure out what you don’t like or what you think you’re missing and then upgrade.

Doing rifle rounds on a single stage isn’t going to be a lot slower on a turret or progressive than anything else because of the intermediate steps of tumbling and trimming.

From the OP, It sounds like your time is already at a premium, so start by just trying to load 22CM and see if it’s something you’ll stick with before you dump a ton of money into it. At least an autothrow and powered trimmer will be very easy to sell in the px if you decide this isn’t how you want to spend your free time. Doing benchrest level brass prep hasn’t proven to be worth mine.

Like mentioned above I’ll just keep and use the rock chucker, I also bought a Redding co-ax I’ll probably set one up with the ugly priming tool and put everything on inline fab mounts.

I purchased most of the big things tonight except for an annealer, it was an expensive night. So far I have as follows,

-Rock chucker press

-Forster coax press

-Ugly reloading priming tool

-Ugly reloading headspace/comparator set

-FX300i/autotrickler V4

-Henderson trimmer with 5 cutters and 2 collets

I think I want to get a viper barrel vice and i need to get dies for everything, im open to suggestions there. It seems micrometer base dies are the way to go its always nice having an actual measurement to tune things with.

Last edited:
For the press and scale/trickler it looks like I can’t go wrong with a Redding T7 and FX-120i plus the autotrickler v4. Is that scale and powder dispenser way overkill for what I’ll be doing? I value my time and want accuracy and consistency but I’m not sure how other simpler and cheaper options compare.

With the exception that I have a V3, this is what I use - with the Ingenuity trickler upgrade.

Comments:

- The T7 is bullet-proof. Very sturdy. My only beef with it is the bearing that provides the "click" between die stations is not captured. The leads to said bearing falling under your bench somewhere if you're not careful when you change turrets. I bought a bunch of extras to solve this.

- The FX-120i is an amazing scale, and the Autotrickler is the best time-saving piece of equipment I've got. The Ingenuity Precision trickler upgrade is very nice and saves time due to both minimizing overthrows and more easily enabling a 1-kernal addition on underthrows.

- Where I will likely differ on what you're looking at is that I use an arbor press and LE Wilson seaters. I love these.

I would get the new SAC Nexus press instead of Zero press or you can even get a Dillion 750 for quicker process.

I have a Nexus on order (I'm in the July bunch), but I will still use my T7. My plan is to use the SAC for sizing only and use the T7 for all the mandrels for various calibers - yes, I have a different mandrel/die for each caliber. The main reason for this is that I've grown tired of changing turrets - as mentioned in the above post, the uncaptured bearing is a bit of a pain. If I were only loading a couple calibers, my T7 setup would be great.

Autotrickler v4 would last for quite a while.
Die wise Redding Type S FL sizing dies set or SAC dies should cover everything you need.
My pre

Priming tool, 21st century hand priming tool is good enough, no need to spend the extra on CPS.

I use these as well - I have three of them (308-sized base, magnum base and Lapua magnum base) so I don't need to change shell holders (seeing a pattern about me not liking to change things?)

Annealing, AMP annealer is the best on the market.
Agreed.

I think I want to get a viper barrel vice and i need to get dies for everything, im open to suggestions there. It seems micrometer base dies are the way to go its always nice having an actual measurement to tune things with.
Something to note, the Forster Coax doesn't fit super tall dies, example is some of the SAC "The" Seating dies will have clearance issues with the Coax handle yoke. It'll fit most micrometer dies though. I think Hornady may be another one that is too tall. Powder funnel dies are also kinda iffy (funnel clearance issues) on the Coax as well as collet bullet pullers (the Hornady collet bullet puller will work, you just gotta make sure the handle clears).

As long as the dies were machined correctly, you'll be fine with just about any of them. Something to consider - certain brands like Forster have a stuck case remover kit available that is designed for their sizing dies. Availability of a VLD bullet seating stem (without having to order a custom) for seating dies might also warrant consideration.

Don't see a powder funnel kit mentioned but you might already have one.

Couple of add-ons that you might want - Forster Coax curved linkage, KMS Squared lighting kit (better than the Inline Fab lighting kit). Inline Fab ergo roller handle is great. @justdreaminglr riser/draft shield is a nice quality of life upgrade for the V4.

Viper barrel vise isn't fancy but it works. Use drywall paper tape or layers of newspaper to prevent barrel marring.

Something to note, the Forster Coax doesn't fit super tall dies, example is some of the SAC "The" Seating dies will have clearance issues with the Coax handle yoke. It'll fit most micrometer dies though. I think Hornady may be another one that is too tall. Powder funnel dies are also kinda iffy (funnel clearance issues) on the Coax as well as collet bullet pullers (the Hornady collet bullet puller will work, you just gotta make sure the handle clears).

As long as the dies were machined correctly, you'll be fine with just about any of them. Something to consider - certain brands like Forster have a stuck case remover kit available that is designed for their sizing dies. Availability of a VLD bullet seating stem (without having to order a custom) for seating dies might also warrant consideration.

Don't see a powder funnel kit mentioned but you might already have one.

Couple of add-ons that you might want - Forster Coax curved linkage, KMS Squared lighting kit (better than the Inline Fab lighting kit). Inline Fab ergo roller handle is great. @justdreaminglr riser/draft shield is a nice quality of life upgrade for the V4.

Viper barrel vise isn't fancy but it works. Use drywall paper tape or layers of newspaper to prevent barrel marring.

I did see in a video I watched last night about taller dies not clearing the coax, I have my rock chucker I can use for anything like that.

I don’t have a funnel kit, that’s one of the many “small” things I still need to get.

My buddy has the curved arms for his coax they definitely seem like a worthwhile upgrade. I’ll do a search for the V4 riser and draft shield, maybe the guy who makes them will chime in thank you.

I have this one and really like it

For three times the money this one is nice too.

I’m honestly a 419 and SAC whore, so believe me when I tell you the Lyman works great.

I’m in a similar spot as OP, so I’m hoping this question is beneficial to to him and I’m not just hijacking his post.

A number of you recommended the SAC modular sizing die. I’ve looked into this and the A419 M series die ( think the A419 M Series would fit into OP’s Rock Chucker as it allows for 1 1/4 dies). I think the SAC makes more sense as he can get a SAC CM die and then a bushing for both 22 and 6.5, and an SAC 300 PRC die for 300 PRC and 7 PRC. Would there be any benefit of the A419 over the SAC? Or is the A419 just easier to adjust do to its micro adjust dial?

Is the benefit of these dies (SAC/A419) that they can 1. Decap 2. Resize and 3. Mandrel/Neck Tension all in one step? Because otherwise OP would have to do all these steps individually, correct?

Could OP essentially use the SAC/A419 for to decap/resize/mandrel on one press and then use a seating die on his other press and be done in essentially two pulls of a press per hand loaded round? If so, that’s pretty cool.

(I’m still learning, so please forgive me is I missed something or spoke in error.)