• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to rifle reloading.

OverWatch

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 15, 2009
USA
I learn something new everyday. I reloaded pistol for years but never tried rifle. I think my first batch of .223 will turn out nice, after the 30min I spent pulling out a stuck case from the die because I did not know I needed to lube the case and dies.

OW

Re: New to rifle reloading.

When I first stated reloading rifle I used to lube my brass on a RCBS case lube pad. It took forever. Now I use the Dillon case lubricant that sprays out and it is 100 times faster.

Good Luck

Good luck reloading rifle. I was self taught rifle myself. One thing I learned recently is when neck sizing, be sure to use a little graphite powder on the neck of the brass, I have had them stick on me before.

Thanks, I just saw the spray lube at the shop today. I think I will give it a try as well. I love reloading 50 rounds of 69gr just the way I want them and for the less than the price of 20 off the shelf!

OW

Good day at the range. 69gr load was on track for 1 MOA, but did not have a chance to get all the way to 100m. So far so good, now time to work up a 55gr for plinking.

OW

I am new to reloading as well and have noticed that 3-4 % of my rounds are duds. I am reloading for A .308 using 175 gr smk bthp bullets in a remington casing with CCI #200 primers and TAC powder. The primer is struck each time but no joy. If any one has knoweledge as to why this is happening please post.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 22lefty</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am new to reloading as well and have noticed that 3-4 % of my rounds are duds. I am reloading for A .308 using 175 gr smk bthp bullets in a remington casing with CCI #200 primers and TAC powder. The primer is struck each time but no joy. If any one has knoweledge as to why this is happening please post.
</div></div>

If your primer strike looks good, I would make sure that nowhere in my reloading process are my primers exposed to anything that could contaminate them. Oil, moisture, etc kills primers. If I was sure that I hadn't done anything that could harm them, I would stop using that batch of primers and try some new ones.

Some reasons why a good primer might not ignite the load.

1. Not seated all the way down into the pocket. Often such a primer will do the job on the second or third strike.

2. Sometimes there will be a crumb of tumbling media (corncob or walnut hull) blocking the flash hole.

and...; wait for it...,

3. ...No powder in the case.

if you dont charge a case and your primer goes off your bullet might get stuck in your barrel

22lefty...you need a mentor. Try to find someone in your area who knows his/her way around the reloading bench and spend some quality time with him/her. Where are you? Fill out your profile and someone may jump in here to help. There are too many causes for your problem that we on the Hide here cannot surmise a correction. JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: former naval person</div><div class="ubbcode-body">22lefty...you need a mentor. Try to find someone in your area who knows his/her way around the reloading bench and spend some quality time with him/her. Where are you? Fill out your profile and someone may jump in here to help. There are too many causes for your problem that we on the Hide here cannot surmise a correction. JMHO </div></div>

Sage advice here^^^^. I was taught reloading by a neighbor when I was 13yrs old. I was reloading for an old Krag rifle I had gotten from him and he told me, "Don't buy any ammo boy, you can come over and load all you want." There is no substitute for an apprentice learning from a master. The internet is full of information, but if it is your only teacher, you will never be a master. I see thread after thread where a plethora of answers may be given to a question, smattered with a great many opinions both good and bad. If you have a flesh and blood mentor observing your work he can spot a problem immediately.

Excellent point. My Older Brothers gave me my mentoring.

If you can't find good mentoring (and, remember, SOMEBODY is the source of those oddball opinions on the 'net - don't let them mentor you!), read A LOT and make sure you understand the "why" behind the "what." Reloading manuals a great place to start, and should give you enough basics to be able to sort through the wide variety of opinions and glean good information.

Thank you for all the good input. There are A couple of people who have been reloading for several years. I will ask them and maybe get some practical mentoring from them. I know my problem is with the primer ( struck with round still in casing with A powder charge I can feel it when I shake the round ) Hopefully as you guys recommended A mentor can cut to the root of the problem and I can get on with reloading. If I find out what the problem is I will post it , maybe it will help somebody else . thanks again.

Your primer could be seated too deeply causing a light strike from the firing pin. If you are uniforming your primer posckets make sure you are not cutting them too deep.

A different primer may have a softer metal and work better in the event you are getting a light strike.

Improper headspace - Your case might be improperly sized (over sized) and is being pushed forward in the chamber by the firing pin. This will also cause a light strike and no kaboom.