• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Sniper's Hide and Precision Shooting

somathis

Private
Minuteman
Apr 12, 2011
Ky
I just bought a Rem 700 AAC-SD from another SH member ,, I have found alot of very useful info on the site and have absolutely had a ton of fun reading some of the topics and comments ,, I can appreciate the wisdom and knowledge of all the seasoned shooters on here ,,, Having said that i'll ask this ,,, Which ammo should i start with in the Rem 700 .308 aac sd ,, Let me add i do not reload and do not shoot comp but want respectable ammo non the less but do not want to pay 60 dollars a box ,,, Thanks for your time

Re: New to Sniper's Hide and Precision Shooting

Get some Federal Gold Medal Match in either 168 grain, or better yet, 175 grain. Should run you between 18 and 25 per box.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some Federal Gold Medal Match in either 168 grain, or better yet, 175 grain. Should run you between 18 and 25 per box.

Josh </div></div>

Why would the 175 be better ... Less wind drift or more punch at the target

It depends on how far you are going to be shooting, and how your specific rifle shoots them. It will take some time and some experimenting to find out what does what... but that just makes it to where you have to go shoot!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: somathis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Get some Federal Gold Medal Match in either 168 grain, or better yet, 175 grain. Should run you between 18 and 25 per box.

Josh </div></div>

Why would the 175 be better ... Less wind drift or more punch at the target </div></div>

I have the sps-v version of your rifle and I shoot 168's with great results. Thing is your rifle is 1:10 twist where mine is 1:12 so your rifle will stabilize the 175 better. Or so I would think

The 168s do weird things around 800 yards when they go transonic. If you are learning to shoot and are training inside 600 yards, the 168s will serve you just fine. You can find some for about 18 bucks a box if you shop around.

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It depends on how far you are going to be shooting, and how your specific rifle shoots them. It will take some time and some experimenting to find out what does what... but that just makes it to where you have to go shoot!!

DK </div></div>
No more than 300 yards locally right now ,,, On down the road maybe farther ,,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 168s do weird things around 800 yards when they go transonic. If you are learning to shoot and are training inside 600 yards, the 168s will serve you just fine. You can find some for about 18 bucks a box if you shop around.

Josh </div></div>

Any 168' s or a certain brand and make ,,

I said above...Federal Gold Medal Match. Black Hills is also fine. Corbon begins to get pricey, but is great stuff.

So, go to google and search for "Federal Gold Medal Match 168".

Josh

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I said above...Federal Gold Medal Match. Black Hills is also fine. Corbon begins to get pricey, but is great stuff.

So, go to google and search for "Federal Gold Medal Match 168".

Josh </div></div>
Sorry bout that ,, Thanks

No worries. Also, bookmark the following link. It is a custom google search engine that only searches Sniper's Hide. It will generate better results than the organic search.

Bookmark Me!

Josh

There was a time when Ultramax could be had fairly cheap. They were loaded with Sierra 168gr BTHP Match bullets, and shot like a laser from my old 10FPLE.

I have a 10PC now, and they don't perform quite as well. Even though it is the same rounds, almost the same rifle, they just don't work the same. You will find the same with your rifle as well.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There was a time when Ultramax could be had fairly cheap. They were loaded with Sierra 168gr BTHP Match bullets, and shot like a laser from my old 10FPLE.

I have a 10PC now, and they don't perform quite as well. Even though it is the same rounds, almost the same rifle, they just don't work the same. You will find the same with your rifle as well.

DK </div></div>

They are loading some with Speer and some with Sierras. Could be why.

Josh

You might as well start searching the reloading section.if your ever gonna shoot enough volume to become/stay sharp you WILL reload.unless your filthy rich and/or sponsored. I think every good rifleman needs to have this skill, it helps you understand WHY things work and WHY some things "bullet wts,powders,twist rates" don't work in certain rifles. And another thing.......redding type s bushing dies.....remembe that name you'll use it later

go to wal-mart and get 1 box of everything. Seriously I have one friend that has a PSS in 6mm and the best ammo for it that can be loaded or bought is Remington core-lokt

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are loading some with Speer and some with Sierras. Could be why.

Josh </div></div>

Hmmmm. Thanks for the info... I wasn't aware of that.

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z71rat</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MinorDamage</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are loading some with Speer and some with Sierras. Could be why.

Josh </div></div>

Hmmmm. Thanks for the info... I wasn't aware of that.

DK </div></div>

Just make sure you differentiate between their new loads and the remanufactured stuff. I received some of it in a bulk lot and, while they were all 168s, some had the crimp cannelure and some did not. The ones with were the Speer and the ones without were Sierras.

Josh

I always tell someone who is only going to use factory ammo, figure out what you want in gr and type bullet, then go buy all the different brands you can find in that category.You will most always find one of them that will really shoot. Then if you have to break the bank get all of that lot# you can get. Good luck and happy shooting.

Haven't seen anyone mention the Applied Ballistics 175 gr. ammo. I don't think you can get anything better unless you hand load. New Berger "tactical" bullets loaded into Lapua brass.

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2457293

They do not cost $60/box
smile.gif

I have a Rem 700 VSF in 308, it will shoot the Federals that Wal-mart sells ($13.94 here) as well as most anything at shorter ranges(you have indicated 300 yards max for now). I buy some about everytime I go in there, because at that price, it makes the brass pretty cheap. YMMV

before i rebarreled my .243 it'd shoot almost everything the same out to 300 or 400 yards, from handloads with 55gr and 95 gr noslers, factory ammo in 55, 80, 85, and 100's. i only found one thing it just didn't like, handloads with any v-max bullets, i still have about 70 of them somewhere around the house that are about 4 years old just waiting to be put into some brass and in front of some powder. where most everything almost never went much above 1MOA, those struggled to get 1 1/2, 2 was the norm. you just need to decide what your needs really are, what your rifle likes and what it don't, and how much you are able to spend.