• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to Sniper's Hide, glad to be here!

Win308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 4, 2010
Morris County, New Jersistan
I have been a deer hunter for 25 years, and I started out with a Rem 700BDL in 270 Win. I have reloaded for my 270 almost as long. About 7 years ago I sold my Rem and bought a Winchester 70 in 270 WSM. I have shot deer out to about 200yds with no problem, although most of my shots have been closer.
In the last year I have bought three rifles in .308 Win. The first is a Chilean Mauser re-chambered in .308, the second is a H&K G3 clone, and this week I found a Rem 700 5R that a local gun shop owner sold to his accountant who returned it a year later unfired LNIB, which I picked up for $900. I'd like to build a nice tactical rifle and learn distance shooting, but having just had my first son born, I am on a tight budget which just got squeezed with my rifle purchase.
I have been searching for information on tactical rifles on the internet, and I found my way to Sniper's Hide and a wealth of information from many knowledgeable folks who are willing to share their expertise and wisdom. I am amazed at the great deals offered in your classified sections. Like I mentioned in the title, I am very glad to be here.
My first task before I can get to the range with my new 5R is to get some optics mounted on it. I have a Leupold Vari-X II 3x9 on my muzzle loader that I can use for now, and I need rings and a rail to attach it with. I had decided to get a EGW 20moa rail, and a set of TPS rings. I figured on buying new hardware until I found this site and saw the deals on used gear.
Is my Leupold good enough to get me started on the range, and are my choices for mounting hardware appropriate? I know I have a nice rifle to build on, and I'd appreciate advise on building it a step at a time. I'll need to improve the trigger as the next step after I get up and going.

Re: New to Sniper's Hide, glad to be here!

First off welcome, and you are right you have a good platform to start with. A Leupold will certainly fit the bill for you at the range. Don't forget there are some very reasonably priced brand new options out there. The Bushnell 3200, Falcon Menace, or the Nikon Monarch are just a couple options. I think the EGW base it a great way to go. I have a couple of these and they all have worked great. I don't know much about your rings, but the Burris XTR rings are a great way to go on a budget as well.

Best of luck with your new gun!

Welcome.
You have everything you will need in the 5R. Buy some loading supplies and let the ride begin.

Your GTG, just whip up some handloads and see what she does.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hamr56</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off welcome, and you are right you have a good platform to start with. A Leupold will certainly fit the bill for you at the range. Don't forget there are some very reasonably priced brand new options out there. The Bushnell 3200, Falcon Menace, or the Nikon Monarch are just a couple options. I think the EGW base it a great way to go. I have a couple of these and they all have worked great. I don't know much about your rings, but the Burris XTR rings are a great way to go on a budget as well.

Best of luck with your new gun! </div></div>

You mentioned all these scopes but missed one of the best values out there?

When money permits, get yourself a Super Sniper 10X and you will have a very suitable system that wont limit you in any way. Your Leupold will work fine for now but you will eventually want and need some sort of elevation and windage turrets.

Welcome to the hide.

Welcome aboard. Being new to the site myself, it is a tremendous resource with some extremely knowledgeable people to help you along.

From what you have described it sounds like you are gtg but, if you are like me and everyone else here, you will fiddle with your setup endlessly.

So many options but so little money! At least that's my problem.

Good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Win308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Would it be worth sending my scope back to Leupold to have target turrets put on for $120? </div></div>
No it would not be, like it was mentioned above go and buy a SS 10X or falcon menace FFP MIL/MIL with knobs from the factory. If your budget won't work with that then just hold off until it can.
Buy once cry once.