• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New to Snipers Hide - need recomendations

breastroker

Private
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2012
Old man (64) that loves pistols, new to rifle shooting beyond 100 yards. In Navy 1969-73 shot expert pistol but couldn't hit broad side of a barn with M14! Eyes were 20-300 and they got worse over the years. Found out I was right handed and left eye dominant when shooting 22 rifles and SKS at 100 yards, teaching my sons to shoot.

Even after laser eye surgery 12 years ago, I need at least 9 power to see the target dots clearly at 100 yards. Got a Nikon 3-9 P223 and have it on my 16 inch 6.8 SPC upper.

But I really wanted to shoot better, so I got a 17 inch Lilja Patrolman AR upper from Superior Barrels. Two months ago I shot my first sub MOA EVER at 100 yards. Using 52 grain Black Hills HP Match first three shots covered 0.375, last two shot brought the group to 0.75 inches.

Last week I got my Geiselle SSA-E trigger in, decided to shoot at 200 yards for first time in my life. Weather great for Las Vegas, 85 degrees and wind less than 5 mph. Used same ammo but with my Simmons 6-18x44 at 16 power as it was blurry at 18!

Best two three shot groups were 1.2 and 1.25 inches at 200 yards, so I was happy to hit something.

Going to try to learn rifle shooting, going to keep shooter log and get some wind devices as 10-20 mph is norm and I have shot in 45-60 mph gusts.

I want to try going out to 500 yards eventually, after learning more of the basics. But I need better optics and I just can't afford more than $300.

I want to get something between 24 and 32 usable power, and I realize the Barska, Tasco and BSA's just are not going to cut it.

So please give me some recommendations.

Right now I am looking at two Mueller scopes, the 8-32 x 44 Target dot and the Eraticator 8.5-25 x 50.

I don't need the illuminated reticle, don't care about the weight and don't care about the MOA adjustment as I have a 20 MOA 1 inch scope mount.

The Target Dot has a 30 mm tube, but reviews say its optics get darker above 25 power. Eye relief slightly larger too.

But people rave about the Eraticator, again for the money it seems very good.

So help out a E1 (actually made E5 in 16 months)

Re: New to Snipers Hide - need recomendations

You would do better with higher quality glass with better resolution that you will from more power and crappy glass. The glass in the mueller isn't going to be any better than simmons or better than BSA or anything like that. All the muellers I've had were very dark anywhere near the top end and had a yellowish brown tint to it. I can assure you they are not the scope you are looking for at all.

I would maybe try finding a used bushnell 4200, a zeiss conquest or something else of better quality glass. With better glass you aren't going to need a 32X scope to make out a dot at 200 yards.

http://swfa.com/SWFA-SS-20x42-Tactical-Riflescope-P53716.aspx

Is about the best option I could find for what you are looking for and with your price cap. Is it an amazing scope..no but SWFA has great glass I love my 5-20x50HD but its an $1300 scope you can get some great glass without completly breaking the budget but especially with prexisting eye conditions I would see about saving up a little longer to spend a little more on the glass it will be worth it in the end something like a Vortex Viper PST can be had new for $900 and might be around used for somthing less then that and it has great optics and a 6-24 mag range. as was said good glass is one of the most imporant things I found a lot of people having issues at a recent compeitition between the mirage and resolution in their scopes making it hard to tell one color from another whereas with my SWFA I had no issues and was able to run my scope near the top of its power range for most of the compeition.

That is going to be a tough nut to crack.

I have several Mueller scopes. The glass on all of them has been surprisingly good.
They do have a very good warranty.

Looks like you are learning quickly, don't let anyone tell you that < 1.0" groups isn't gtg. Good for you.

Just a couple of thoughts:

Buy once, cry once.

Research as much as you can, but remember that the interwebz has made a bunch of interwebz commandos. You'll have to sort through the chaff.

Good Luck.

I ordered the Vortex PST 6-24 from SWFA. Wait time was crazy so i just bought the SWFA SS 5-20. I forgot to cancel my order and recieved the PST a month later. I'm no expert reviewer, but i looked through both scopes at the same time at the same targets at multiple distances between 25 and 300 yards. SWFA 5-20 compared to PST is like Nolan Ryan pitching to an 8th grader. STRIKE OUT! The SWFA is on another level, no comparison. The SS is as clear at 20 power as it is at 5 power. I say save up, get the SS and be done with it. I am a beginner as well so take my advice with a grain of salt, I'm only reporting personal experience.