• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the AR world

7mm-08 Freak

Medic
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2010
San Angelo TX
Go easy fellas I have a lot to learn. Books have been ordered but they aint here yet. Bought a new 3rd Gen Tactical brand AR in 223 Wilde a few days ago. Will be used for Varmint hunting out to 200 yds max usually at night. So far so good with load development. The best yet is 26 grains of CFE223 that shoots .495" 6 shot groups at 100yds with my varmint bullet of choice (Sierra 55gr BTHP) However it appears when I added my can it is making the brass very black now. Before with just the factory break they looked a lot cleaner. Am I to assume im overgassing now? How do I tell if I have an adjustable gas block and if I do how do I adjust it? There are two Allen head screws on the bottom of the gas block under the hand guard. Accuracy went WAY up with the can (SilencerCo Hybrid) but so did the "soot" on the brass. Come on with the comments as I know next to nothing about semi autos. I am on old school bolt gun guy.

Last edited:
Go easy fellas I have a lot to learn. Books have been ordered but they aint here yet. Bought a new 3rd Gen Tactical brand AR in 223 Wilde a few days ago. Will be used for Varmint hunting out to 200 yds max usually at night. So far so good with load development. The best yet is 26 grains of CFE223 that shoots .495" 6 shot groups at 100yds with my varmint bullet of choice (Sierra 55gr BTHP) However it appears when I added my can it is making the brass very black now. Before with just the factory break they looked a lot cleaner. Am I to assume im overgassing now? How do I tell if I have an adjustable gas block and if I do how do I adjust it? There are two Allen head screws on the bottom of the gas block under the hand guard. Accuracy went WAY up with the can (SilencerCo Hybrid) but so did the "soot" on the brass. Come on with the comments as I know next to nothing about semi autos. I am on old school bolt gun guy. Go easy on me LOL
There is usually a detent that is marked for an adjustable gas block. Without seeing a picture it is hard to tell because there are a lot of designs. The brand of the rifle may also give us a clue. My guess would be it is not just because the vast majority are not adjustable.

As far as the too much gas issue, the fixes are actually pretty easy. Installing an adjustable gas block is actually a pretty easy do it yourself project. There are a couple of good options, my favorite is the JP adjustable gas block but I have also had very good results with the Seekins.

Reactions: RedRockCharlie
The two screws on the underside of the gas block are the tension screws that hold it in place. If it's adjustable, which would be unusual for most anything other than a premium rifle from a big name brand, it'll have a screw or two near the top.
While it's likely the rifle is overgassed once a suppressor is attached, the sooty brass is pretty much here to stay regardless of gas adjustment.

The two Allen screws below are likely indicative of a clamp on gas block, so loosening them would remove it. A picture would be helpful, but typically an adjustable gas block has a screw or other adjustment point parallel to the bore. As for the soot, while you probably are over gassed with a can (solveable with an adjustable gas block or bootleg style BCG) you will probably always have some buildup as that is simply how the AR action works.

Edit: @TonyTheTiger you beat me by two minutes

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
If it’s adjustable I can’t see where you were adjust it. I think the replies above are correct I think that’s just the mounting screws. Looks like there’s two screws on the bottom and a roll pin on the top. As far as the Black brass thats not really a problem as I have an ultrasonic cleaner and a corncob vibratory cleaner. I can make em look new. I just thought it was a symptom of overgassing.

Attachments

• 4653AA41-B182-4534-8EF7-BB3ADAC43A86.jpeg
    4653AA41-B182-4534-8EF7-BB3ADAC43A86.jpeg
    430.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 08FC44D1-7F4D-4D2D-86E5-0F5C8BCCEF6D.jpeg
    08FC44D1-7F4D-4D2D-86E5-0F5C8BCCEF6D.jpeg
    427.7 KB · Views: 54
Reactions: Bluedog82
Yes, that is a standard gas block and not adjustable. If the felt recoil is too much with the can, the first step is to switch buffer weights (H2 or H3 is a good start). To control gas, and adjustable gas block or BCG is the way to go.

You’ve been here how long and this your first ar? So no help here I only run adjustable blocks on my dozen or so ar’s. The dirty brass you notice is from blowback. The further down you dig into the mag with more rounds fired the dirtier it will be.

Yes, that is a standard gas block and not adjustable. If the felt recoil is too much with the can, the first step is to switch buffer weights (H2 or H3 is a good start). To control gas, and adjustable gas block or BCG is the way to go.
The can is just for noise. it kicks like a 22 mag.

You’ve been here how long and this your first ar? So no help here I only run adjustable blocks on my dozen or so ar’s. The dirty brass you notice is from blowback. The further down you dig into the mag with more rounds fired the dirtier it will be.
Registered July 11 2010 according to my profile. Not all snipers use ARs haha. Some of us old timers use bolt guns. As far as mags i bought some 10 round Pmags

Oh sorry, we’ll as many have stated you could get an adjustable gas block which controls the amount of gas coming back to cycle your action. A piston kit uses a gas block that takes the gas to drive a rod to cycle the action and diverts all the gas back out of the gas block. So no more dirty gas In your action. Cleaning the action is now like cleaning your Glock!

Will something like this allow me to shoot hotter reloads and or adjust the gun to better accuracy with my reloads?

Oh sorry, we’ll as many have stated you could get an adjustable gas block which controls the amount of gas coming back to cycle your action. A piston kit uses a gas block that takes the gas to drive a rod to cycle the action and diverts all the gas back out of the gas block. So no more dirty gas In your action. Cleaning the action is now like cleaning your Glock!
I have a Glock or two. That might be nice but down the road. I want Stupid accuracy at this point. Thats my main goal. im close to my desired 1/3 MOA out to 200. My bolt guns do it but cant fine bullets for them so I am going down this AR road and having fun learning about it so far. I'm liking the low recoil of the 223 too.

Why do all the ambidextrous safety selectors have one side shorter than the other? I want two the same length on both sides lil oversize for use at night. :ROFLMAO:

@WM5L the adjustable gas block will not have any appreciable change on your accuracy. You don’t need a piston system at all, and that wouldn’t help your accuracy either. A quality barrel (they are pretty easy to swap yourself or have a smith do it) would probably be the only surefire way to get a major (potentially, depending on what barrel you have already) accuracy boost. If you exhaust your reloading abilities and can’t shrink down a group to your liking, that’s probably what you’ll need to do. @Molon is a good resource for AR accuracy.

If you aren't comfortable switching out gas blocks the easy way is to put a bootleg brand bolt carrier in as stated earlier.. It has an adjustment on the side of the carrier to limit the amount of gas. Very simple swap out. There is nothing wrong with your accuracy. CFE223 might be slightly dirty compared to a couple others. My personal favorite powder is Benchmark @ 25 grs x 55 gr bullet. Never seen a barrel yet that wouldn't shoot it well.

If you aren't comfortable switching out gas blocks the easy way is to put a bootleg brand bolt carrier in as stated earlier.. It has an adjustment on the side of the carrier to limit the amount of gas. Very simple swap out. There is nothing wrong with your accuracy. CFE223 might be slightly dirty compared to a couple others. My personal favorite powder is Benchmark @ 25 grs x 55 gr bullet. Never seen a barrel yet that wouldn't shoot it well.

I'm bored,never tried benchmark,have a lb of it.........think I'll get it a try today

You might not get quite the speed of a few powders but it is a very accurate powder. Only issue today is like many others, hard to find.

Never been one to be a speed freak in my AR s........can't expect much from 16 " barrel ,don't care to beat up my brass either. Temps in the 70s here, too hot to hunt....gonna shoot some paper today, haven't shot this AR in a while,dust needs blowing out da barrel

@WM5L the adjustable gas block will not have any appreciable change on your accuracy. You don’t need a piston system at all, and that wouldn’t help your accuracy either. A quality barrel (they are pretty easy to swap yourself or have a smith do it) would probably be the only surefire way to get a major (potentially, depending on what barrel you have already) accuracy boost. If you exhaust your reloading abilities and can’t shrink down a group to your liking, that’s probably what you’ll need to do. @Molon is a good resource for AR accuracy.
^^^Agree and possibly a different trigger depending on what you are running.

Never been one to be a speed freak in my AR s........can't expect much from 16 " barrel ,don't care to beat up my brass either. Temps in the 70s here, too hot to hunt....gonna shoot some paper today, haven't shot this AR in a while,dust needs blowing out da barrel
Myself not looking for a race car just wanting it as accurate as I can get it.

Last edited:
I reply to the dirty brass I picked up a Redding taper crimp die and put a little taper crimp on my last batch and will take the Magneatospeed with me this time to check FPS, ES and SD. Will also see if that helps any on accuracy and “soot” on the brass.

^^^Agree and possibly a different trigger depending on what you are running.
I already changed that. Put a 3# Single stage In it. Vast improvement over the 7# stock trigger. Wanted a lighter one but the guy at the gun shop said that was all he had and anything lighter could be dangerous in the way of going full auto on accident. Not sure if he’s FOS on that or not.

I already changed that. Put a 3# Single stage In it. Vast improvement over the 7# stock trigger. Wanted a lighter one but the guy at the gun shop said that was all he had and anything lighter could be dangerous in the way of going full auto on accident. Not sure if he’s FOS on that or not.
Definitely FOS but a good trigger lower than that is $200+

Doubtful you will ever get rid of the soot on the brass of a suppressed AR, just part of the game.

Getting an AR to shoot 1/3 MOA all day everyday is quite a feat. 1/2 MOA is pretty damn good. Typically Doing 5 round groups, 5 times on the same target is a good indicator of what the gun/shooter is actually capable of.

He’s referring (probably) to bump firing, which is not at all the same thing.

Definitely FOS but a good trigger lower than that is $200+

Doubtful you will ever get rid of the soot on the brass of a suppressed AR, just part of the game.

Getting an AR to shoot 1/3 MOA all day everyday is quite a feat. 1/2 MOA is pretty damn good. Typically Doing 5 round groups, 5 times on the same target is a good indicator of what the gun/shooter is actually capable of.
So you are saying im off to a good start with my 1/2" 100 yd 8 shot group? I bought a CMC drop in trigger its no Bix N Andy like my bolt guns have but it aint bad. it was $169

So you are saying im off to a good start with my 1/2" 100 yd 8 shot group? I bought a CMC drop in trigger its no Bix N Andy like my bolt guns have but it aint bad. it was $169
1/2” for 5 or more shots is very respectable in an AR I would say. More than enough practical accuracy for typical AR usage. Don’t get too hung up trying to shoot 1/4” groups in an AR, it can be done but is generally going to be harder than a bolt gun, all things being equal.

1/2” for 5 or more shots is very respectable in an AR I would say. More than enough practical accuracy for typical AR usage. Don’t get too hung up trying to shoot 1/4” groups in an AR, it can be done but is generally going to be harder than a bolt gun, all things being equal.
^^^ Agree.
Work on putting 5 in a row w/ the same MOA groups at 200, 300, etc in a timely fashion.

Yes 1/2” is doing pretty damn good especially if you can do it multiple times in a row

^^^ Agree.
Work on putting 5 in a row w/ the same MOA groups at 200, 300, etc in a timely fashion.
This. An AR isn’t necessarily suppose to fill the tack driver roll. Multiple follow up shots in quick succession is where it shines. If my SPR type set up shoots around 3/4 moa I’m pretty happy and don’t bother chasing the reloading accuracy fairy any further. That is plenty accurate for its intended purpose. Smashing a 12” target over and over very quickly at 500 yards is way more fun than trying to shoot tiny little groups at 100 with it.

Got around to working with Benchmark the last few days..........25 grs shot real small.......when I didn't screw up on the trigger.........thanks for the info👍

Reactions: larryh128