• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the forum and Savage Model 10 FCP-SR question.

Eric338

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2014
Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a question about mounting a scope on the Savage 10 FCP-SR. I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 scope. I need to know what mounting base and rings to get to mount the scope on the Savage Model 10 FCP-SR.

Thank you in advance for your suggestions and help.

--Eric

I have used a Ken Farrell, Weaver, and Warne bases. Both the Ken Farrell and the Warne are excellent. I like the Warne because it is the lowest I have used and brought the bell on my HDMR closest to the barrel while leaving just enough room for Butler Creeks. If not the Warne I would look at Seekins one piece. Hope this helps.

I have used a Ken Farrell, Weaver, and Warne bases. Both the Ken Farrell and the Warne are excellent. I like the Warne because it is the lowest I have used and brought the bell on my HDMR closest to the barrel while leaving just enough room for Butler Creeks. If not the Warne I would look at Seekins one piece. Hope this helps.

Thank you, Pointman

Eric338 wrote:

*Hello everybody,

I'm new to the forum.

I have a question about mounting a scope on the Savage 10 FCP-SR. I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24X50 scope. I need to know what mounting base and rings to get to mount the scope on the Savage.*

Depends on what you're going to be doing. If you want to play musical scopes then you'll want to stick with a Pic rail and rings. If this is going to be a dedicated combo, then you can get some really low 30mm rings from Leupold in their clawmounts. The advantage here is that you have better access to the breach without the unused rail in the way.

The important thing is to get the scope as low to the bore axis as possible.

I have a Savage 10 PC. I used an EGW F-Class base and Seekins Precision Rings.

I believe EGW recommends the base be Torqued to 20 INCH/lbs. Not ft/lbs. Sounds low but that's from EGW. I have seen 20-30 though. Use the Blue Loc-tite as well. Rings and base can be bought from a lot of people but I purchased from SWFA. They are a great resource. I bought my FAT Wrench from Cabelas.

Base:
EGW Picatinny Rail 1 Piece Scope Mount - Note: this link is for a 20MOA base which you may not need. If you prefer, you can spend a little more on a steel base but I have had luck to date with this aluminum base.

Rings:
Seekins Precision Scope 30mm Rings

Look up the specs for the rings that you intend to use and you will find the torque specs for the rings to base and the ring caps. Rings vary so make sure you look up the manufacturers recommendations.

For proper torque, look into the FAT Wrench from Wheeler Engineering. It is affordable and works well. There are other INCH/lb wrenches but some are $$$.

Wheeler® Torque Fat Wrench : Cabela's

Last edited: