• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the forum from San Diego

marc.

MM1
Minuteman
Jan 17, 2014
San Diego
Hey everyone! I thought I had posted in here when I signed up, but I guess I got excited about all the information on here. I'm Marc. Been in California most of my life apart from 2 years in South Carolina for training. Spent close to 10 years in the Navy as a nuclear machinist's mate. Got the pleasure of completing 4 deployments on USS Ronald Regan and thankfully landed shore duty in San Diego, so I was one of the lucky few that got to spend almost all of my service at home. Currently finishing up a bunch of requirements to start a helicopter flight training program.

I've been in to firearms most of my life as a semi-serious hobby, most of it being handguns and .22 rifles. Was splitting my focus on too many hobbies the last few years, but just recently decided to give up most of them and do a little more shooting. I had a period where I bought way too many guns, just thinking the more the better. It got really annoying taking 5-6 different calibers of ammo to the range with me every time, so I decided to cut down. Luckily a lot of the stuff I had was bought back in the SSE days, so it wasn't bad. Now I'm just using a HK VP9, RIA 1911, a built out 10/22 mainly. I have an inherited Marlin 336 that was dad's and a Tristar Raptor ATAC that I haven't shot. I've spent a good amount of time on Calguns and done a lot of buying and selling on there. Few months ago I decided I wanted to shoot a little further, so after researching and looking around, I picked up a Savage 10 GRS in 6.5 Creedmoor for a great price... now waiting on my delayed DROS for this one (n)

Anyways... I don't really post much because most of the questions I have are already answered, but I appreciate the forum and am happy to be a part of it. Hopefully I meet a few locals on here with similar interests, as I am basically completely new to shooting farther than 100 yards :)

Last edited:
Reactions: SD Carpenter
It's a bit too hot for the desert this time of year but I'd meet up at South Bay rod and Gun club @ 300 Yards or Pala Range (up to about 900 yards) if you want. You can try my Savage 12 LRP out to 900Y if I can run a few rounds through your Savage 10. If it shoots well getting to 900 wont be a problem on your first range trip depending on how things go.

Have you picked up a scope yet?

Last edited:
It's a bit too hot for the desert this time of year but I'd meet up at South Bay rod and Gun club @ 300 Yards or Pala Range (up to about 900 yards) if you want. You can try my Savage 12 LRP out to 900Y if I can run a few rounds through your Savage 10. If it shoots well getting to 900 wont be a problem on your first range trip depending on how things go.

Have you picked up a scope yet?

I agree on the desert. It's 115F at the places I usually go. I have some pretty good spots on BLM land but shooting out there is shut down by for now. I'm definitely willing to meet up once I get this rifle together, as I basically have no idea what I'm doing. just been watching youtube videos trying to get a direction to go in. Haven't picked up a scope yet... but have mostly decided on getting the Viper PST 5-25. I'll be getting the scope and rings this week and hopefully should pick my rifle up next week.