• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new to the forums, and a new rifle.

DirtDiver

Private
Minuteman
Dec 3, 2008
Coloma, MI
Alright, I posted one previous post asking about NightForce optics and got the n00b treatment, so please be gentle.
blush.gif

I just picked up a Remington 700 long action in .300 Win Mag. This guy has a heavy barrel (bull?) and the black synthetic stock. Pure ugly and utilitarian target rifle.

Now that i have it, what else should I do to it?
grin.gif

Re: new to the forums, and a new rifle.

Buy it more ammo and sight it in at the range. You can paint it, you can get a muzzle brake, you can get a can on it--main thing is that you start shooting it and get comfortable with it =)

Dirt Diver, welcome to the Hide.
Nice handle, watch "The Unit" much?

As to your questions. Read the stickies in every section of this site you visit. All are full of either wise shooting & gear info, or forum policies.
And the reading thing for you will likely be your best freind, along with an occassional question by you.

Make sure that you're rig is set up solidly, & that you have one or preferably 2+ sets of GOOD quality cleaning gear & accessories. Then buy triple your body weight in ammo for your tactical stick. And easily as importantly, get a good .22LR to use as a trainer, plus lots of ammo for same. If possible set it up akin to your .300WM, if it's just a Ruger 10/22 don't overly fret. The big thing is practice, & a 22 helps one learn proper shooting technique inexpensively. And especially to develop wind reading skills.

As to equipment, you'll figure out what is on the "nice to have" list, & what's "must have" items. Both hardware wise, & information & reference wise.

The classified section's a great place to shop, as are the many vendors which support the Hide, & are listed in the classifieds section. IE who they are, & links to their sites.

You'll soon also notice that there are links posted by members, either in their siggy lines. Or just in a general posting, which lead to other great shooting sites.

Enjoy, & I hope you're used to shooting. A .300WM at times is a bit much for those new to the sport, but it can be done.

Yea what ground keeper said. Shooting that 300 WM will be expensive so learn from every shot.

If you are reloading stay off the heavy bullets and slow propellant. That combo eats barrel throats for breakfast.
Keep your loads about 90% of book and barrel life will go up.
Full house loads with heavy bullets you are looking at about 800 rounds of barrel life for top accuracy. Then again it depends on what you consider accurate. The Marine Corps Team used to pull their magnum barrels every 500 rounds if that gives you some idea.

Thanks for the advice. I'm not a new shooter by any means and have been shooting for pistol competition or casual rifle shooting for a long time.

However, when entering the world of precision rifles, with high-end stocks and scopes and whatnot, it's a new world that's rather confusing and that I'm not nearly as comfortable with.

As to the 300 Win, my preferred hunting rifle is in this caliber, so I'm good to go with the recoil.

And as to the Unit -- why yes, how did you know?
laugh.gif

Very nice. I am pretty sure that's a 700P in .300WM.

Download it to .308 levels and get to know it without getting punished. Then you can turn it back up to max volume and gain the range advantage over the .308.

The only thing I suggest you add is a sling and an Eagle Stock Pack. More than likely the comb is too low for you to get a proper cheekweld like it is. You will need the extra height of the Stock Pack and possibly even another layer of foam under the pack.

A TIS or TAB sling will have you set for any unsupported shooting.

I personally don't like to mount my rings any closer to the turrets then necessary. I would move your rear ring back the the rear of the rail. I think it puts less tork on the tube. Karsten makes an adjustable check piece that works great,and is easily installed. It is really important to have your eye centered in the scope consistantly. You could also have a good gun smith work your trigger over, or put a good aftermarket trigger in it,Timney,Jewel,etc. Other than that shoot it like you stole it.