• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the Hide with new bolt

Tinbendur

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
TN, USA
This is my first real attempt at a long range rifle. I am trying my best to take it serious and learn as much as I can. I am dumping all other hobbies with the exception of few collectable knives.

I ordered this rifle awhile back and had it shipped to my new found buds at Predator Custom Shop. Great guys and did a great paint job. The zero'd it and mounted my scope. I will definitely get these guys to build me a special later on.

I am currently looking for a round count and data book. I am very sure I will need a butt pad. This one is super thin. Any help or opinions are very welcome.

I start my marksmenship training next weekend. The guy was a USMC SS and went through the USMC marksmenship training to program to teach in the USMC. So I am very excited to get started.

Specs:
Reminton 5R
Tasco SS 10X42 Scope
Heavy Duty Rings
Heavy Duty Base
Uncle Mike's Mil Spec Sling Swivels
Unclke Mike's Scope Caps
Kill Flash

DSCN1344.jpg

DSCN1345.jpg

DSCN1346.jpg

DSCN1348.jpg

DSCN1347.jpg

Re: New to the Hide with new bolt

What caliber are you shooting? 308win? Depending on your preferences these recoil pads work well for me:

http://www.limbsaver.com/2010/products/firearms/recoil_pads/index.php

I've used them for my pump-action shotguns and switch them to my rifles for extended shooting sessions. But your length of pull with be different, as well as you scope eye relief, so you will have to consider these things when using.

Paint came out nice.

Decelerator pads are my favorite. Sims are fine also.

Get some varget or some R-15 and start loadin'.....

Thank yall for your input. I need as much help as I can get. I will definitely check out the sites mentioned.

I know I will need a cheek rest but I don't know which side I want. I am right handed but I have been shooting my rifles left hand with a right hand rifle. I am left eye dominant. I have been dry firing right handed with both eyes open as of past couple of days.

Should I just get used to shooting right and left hand rifle with both eyes open?

Let me hear yalls thoughts. Please.

Haven't owned a 5R so maybe a dumb question but can you replace the recoil pad with say a Sim's or are the glued on or something?

that paint turned out great.

and i dont see a flash hider either? lol

how do you like the versa pod bipod? can you load it better than a harris?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jlaw973</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Haven't owned a 5R so maybe a dumb question but can you replace the recoil pad with say a Sim's or are the glued on or something? </div></div>

Yes sir, I should be able to replace it with an aftermarket pad. Even if its glued on I might be able to figure out how to get it off and a new one installed.

The bipod is a Versa Pod and I love it so far. I really think I like it better than the prior Harris that I have owned on other rifles.

Thanks again for all the great comments and opinions. For future notice, any help will be very appreciated.

I am very excited. This coming Saturday morning I will be at the range. I talked to my guy today and he said we will be starting from scratch with rifle break in. He said he would be doing a lot of talking and watching me. I guess we will figure out the eye dominance issue with the right hand or left.

Range info:Norris
Norris Range
Upper Clear Creek Road
Phone: 865-494-0881(Norris Police Department)
Facilities include: Rifle (100-300 Yards), 25 yard pistol range with 5-yard increments, Covered shooting tables

Itsa start. I will post any updates.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chickeneye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">that paint turned out great.

and i dont see a flash hider either? lol

</div></div>

That's 3 that don't see the flash hider. Maybe you meant Kill Flash for the scope?

Wow. I am sorry folks. Sometimes my brain is somewhere esle.

Flash hider is that small extension on the end of a barrel that dispurses gases. Duh. Somebody come to my house and smack me.
crazy.gif

Kill flash is that anti reflect dude that I put in the end of my scope.
blush.gif

Heck I think I will smack myself.

That’s referred to as an ARD (Anti Reflective Device) and don’t get carried away with the smacking.
(You’ll get smacked enough here!)

Welcome to the hide!

Went to the range yesterday morning. Had a heck of a time just breaking in the barrel and zeroing. The ARD came out real quick. Way too blurry and fuzzy. Nice range and some good folks. All in all a very fun time.

Went through a 20 rnds at 50 and 125 yards. Nothing even close to calling a group except for the last 6 rnds.

Top 3 were first and bottom 3 were last. I promiss I will do better and bring some 5 shot groups next time. The bottom group if I measured correctly is 1 inch. So thats 1 MOA if I am correct.

DSCN1349.jpg

Thank you very much. I really trying to give this project all I've got. I wanna learn and get better. Once I get this guy dialed in with some way tighter groups and learn this mildot scope I am planning on moving on to a longer range. 200 yards max where we are shooting now.

I wanna end up in Oakridge and stretch out to 1000. I think we will spend the next 4 range sessions at Norris (200 yard). I plan on starting my application for Oakridge very soon. My instructor is going to sponsor me.

Hey Ben nice shooting saturday I still want to get you to put me in touch with your buddy on the bear hunting shoot me a pm when you get a chance

Having a great time so far. I got another lesson this Saturday. I hope to improve my groups with some at 200.

I don't think I am liking this stock though. I am thinking about a McMillan black HTG.

I ain't sure if thats a drop in our not though. If anyone can help then it would be appreciated.

Yes it is drop in, but it still needs to be bedded. Look at the A-5, or any of the A series stocks for range work. I didn't like the H-S either. Now that my 5r is in a A-5 it feels and shoots like a totally different rifle. Manners are also very fine stocks. You need to find a way to get your hands around as many stocks as you can before you decide what suits you. What kind of ammo are you shooting?

Thank ya Jd. I will have to do some research on bedding. I like the looks of the McMillan or Manners. I think I know one place where I can check out a few stocks. One being the HTG.

Right now I have Remington Match 168 BTHP.

ya know, funny thing. I was getting similair results with my howa 308 for the longest time. i then got some 180 gr sst from hornady and ran 41 gr hogdons h4895. that round helped turn that gun into a hammer. so dont give up your groups will tighten up amaxingly with a good load that your barrel likes

168's should be fine with your 1:11.25" twist but heavier bullets will probably stabilize a little better. My 5R liked M118's which (IIRC) are 173gr. Hope you didn't waste too much time and ammo with that Break-in nonsense. A good instructor will do wonders for you. Look forward to seeing one-hole-five-shot groups soon! Enjoy!

Thank yall very much for the comments. I got a long way to go.

I know these are unexceptable groups but I am really trying. I didn't get to go to session this morning so I thought I might post some group pics of last Saturday. It was raining like cats and dogs.

It was challenging anyway. I am left eye dominant but right handed. But I am working toward changing this.

I just need to relax, remember to breath, number of other things and quit jerking the trigger.

First 3rnd group at 100 shooting Goofy Foot (old skate board term for left foot forward).
DSCN1350.jpg

Second groups are right handed using right eye at 125. The results were mysterious to say the least.

DSCN1353.jpg

I have not herd goofy foot in over 30 yrs it's an old surfing term form the 60's man, hang 10 dude ride your wave man you are doing good. MM

Tinbendur congrats on the new stick, she looks good.

A few pointers for you. You will learn fast and improve trust me.

- Learn a good solid shooting form and stick with it. Use the same eye all the time, learn about breathing, learn about crisp trigger breaks.

- Get yourself some snap-caps and practice your trigger squeezes at home. Get someone to place a coin flat on the end of the barrel for you whilst you do this, and practice squeezing the trigger without dropping the coin.

- Mentally train yourself so your body is ready for the shots. You will know your ready when you dont jerk the trigger, when you can keep your eye open during the recoil phase and watch the round travel.

A good form reduces fatigue on the body and lessons the perception of recoil. Proper trigger work has your rifle breaking cleanly with little to no movement of the rifle and being mentally prepared gives you the concentration you need and the readyness to make that shot as best as possible.

Hand loading consistant ammo will generally improve your group sizes as well.

Happy shooting.

vin

Tinbendur go to www.6mmBR.com. go to the bullaten's and keep scrowling down to Aug. 25, 2010 and read what one man with the same problem you did to solve it, it may be something you can try. MM

Thank you guys very much for the compliments and advice. I listen to all pointers and advice and try to incorporate it into my training.

Axeman, one word can sure get around can't it. Some live on others just die out. MM

I've been riding goofy for decades. To the op....practice makes perfect. You're doing fine, and nice stick.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mackdrvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been riding goofy for decades. To the op....practice makes perfect. You're doing fine, and nice stick. </div></div>
Not to be an ass but someone very wise once told me: Practice makes PERMANENT... Not perfect. If you practice something incorrectly, you will develop bad habits that are hard to break. Getting properly trained is very important. Nice rifle! Welcome!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: oneshot onekill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mackdrvr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been riding goofy for decades. To the op....practice makes perfect. You're doing fine, and nice stick. </div></div>
Not to be an ass but someone very wise once told me: Practice makes PERMANENT... Not perfect. If you practice something incorrectly, you will develop bad habits that are hard to break. Getting properly trained is very important. Nice rifle! Welcome! </div></div>

Please let me clarify. What I meant was the op has a great start with equipment, and a teacher to show him the skills. If he keeps up with it he will be drilling tight groups at distance in no time.

I am really having a great time with this. I have a long way to go. Maintaining trigger control, steadiness and mil dot scope. Trigger time is what I am most lacking but I have a feeling that during these cold months that work will slow down and I will be able to take this a lot further.

I am already considering selling this rifle and for an upgrade. Either a GAP Rock setup in M40A1 style or AI AE MKII.