• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New to the site, USMC 0331

Condition One

Private
Minuteman
Aug 11, 2023
Texas
How's it going? I am new to the site and registered mostly because I doing some research for a fiction novel I am writing about a Marine unit in Afghanistan. I am looking for some knowledge regarding PVS 27/30 and practical application in a night time scenario in an urban terrain.

what do you want to know about the clip ons?
I am writing a fiction novel that takes place in Afghanistan. There is a scene with a sniper providing overwatch to a fireteam about to make entry into a house. I was to make sure I am describing the optics correctly. I had the PVS17 in Iraq in 2004, but I know that isn't the optic the snipers use. I don't have any actual hands on experience with the clip on. One of my questions was in low light conditions without the moon present, would the clip NV be able to show detail transitioning from a dark rooftop to a backlit room of a building and see inside?

Thanks

I am writing a fiction novel that takes place in Afghanistan. There is a scene with a sniper providing overwatch to a fireteam about to make entry into a house. I was to make sure I am describing the optics correctly. I had the PVS17 in Iraq in 2004, but I know that isn't the optic the snipers use. I don't have any actual hands on experience with the clip on. One of my questions was in low light conditions without the moon present, would the clip NV be able to show detail transitioning from a dark rooftop to a backlit room of a building and see inside?

Thanks

depending on distance to target..yes. the 27 has immense light gathering ability with the catadioptric 100mm lens and auto-gating intensifier tubes can handle going from dark to light filled rooms without issue.

• Haha
Reactions: roostercogburn98
IMG_1071.jpeg

Reactions: Huskydriver
Different TTPs/SOPs in different years, locations, and units could mean variation on what was used and why. When and where is this set and with which unit type? Might could just find you a 8541/0317 to speak directly to it.

Great. A 31? Trying to write a book?
Now the average IQ on the site just dropped.
Semper Fi.

Could be that...

1692371701291.png

But could also not be. Welcome to the site and good luck with your writing. Remember that real snipers always wear a full ghillie suit at all times 24/7 and carry a wallet with special hand-loaded extra-long-range rounds, and never water or comms or anything like that.

Last edited:
Lol clip on capability…..aw lawd. Faggots sound like when you tried to go all secret squirrel on loop hole formulas too. Gtfo