• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New to thermal

MBanning

Private
Supporter
Minuteman
Aug 13, 2013
NC
I have zero experience with thermal or night vision. I have pet chickens and an escalating predator problem that I need to solve.
I am thinking a thermal optic will be my best option. My first thought was a clip-on so I could simply add to my day optics and switch between several rifles without removing scopes. In my limited research it seems that may not be the best option. Maybe I'm wrong? I would love to run this on my 22-250 bolt gun but I could always dedicate an AR15 upper to night use if that is an easier option.
I am a PRS and similar type steel match shooter, I am generally a glass snob and magnification power hog. That said I am thinking 640 resolution and no way a 1X base magnification.
I'm not really much of a night hunter but once I have the option I may use this for some coyote hunting as well as the primary predator control at home. Primary use will be 25 to 100 yards and areas I can coyote hunt extend out to about 300 yards max due to topography.
Budget is $5000 at the absolute max, I would much prefer to stay in the $3000 range if at all possible. Another thing to mention is I carry a flip phone and don't know how to use my tv. I'm not exactly high-tech so I need something simple to use and don't care about recording video and such.
What should I be looking at? Thanks for any help or suggestions you can provide.

Last edited:
Reactions: Uhlan and stefan73
Euro-optic has a Swaro on sale:

The NOX35 is one of the best values out there, but your budget will either limit you to older 320 res devices or the Chinese stuff.

Hire someone that knows what their doing to kill what's killing your poultry before you buy some type of optic to hunt and kill something you didn't want killed.

So, for a budget a good, effective optic would be from Bering optics, N-Vision or Armasight.
@kirsch can help direct you.

What rifle, caliber do you plan to put it on (a lot of thermals are rated to handle only so much recoil)?
What is the terrain like? Wooded, thick brush with some pasture? Where are you in the US? I am down south and deal with a lot of humidity.

For coyotes I have been using a Hogster-R 25 on my .22LR and a Steiner on my .308. You are on track wanting a 640 core IMO.

Last edited:
Reactions: DIBBS
Euro-optic has a Swaro on sale:
Any experience with the Swaro? I didn't know they offered thermals.

Hire someone that knows what their doing to kill what's killing your poultry before you buy some type of optic to hunt and kill something you didn't want killed.
I haven't lost any chickens. I have had them alert me of a fox on a few occasions.
So, for a budget a good, effective optic would be from Bering optics, N-Vision or Armasight.
@kirsch can help direct you.

What rifle, caliber do you plan to put it on (a lot of thermals are rated to handle only so much recoil)?
What is the terrain like? Wooded, thick brush with some pasture? Where are you in the US? I am down south and deal with a lot of humidity.

For coyotes I have been using a Hogster-R 25 on my .22LR and a Steiner on my .308. You are on track wanting a 640 core IMO.
Top pick would be on a bolt action 22-250. I kind of hate to remove the day optic though, that's what had me looking at clip-ons. If I go stand alone thermal sight it seems they are more AR15 friendly. If that is the case I would just dedicate a 5.56 upper to night use.
Terrain is thick woods with some open pasture and ag fields. I am in NC so there is humidity do deal with.

Reactions: stefan73
I haven't lost any chickens. I have had them alert me of a fox on a few occasions.

Top pick would be on a bolt action 22-250. I kind of hate to remove the day optic though, that's what had me looking at clip-ons. If I go stand alone thermal sight it seems they are more AR15 friendly. If that is the case I would just dedicate a 5.56 upper to night use.
Terrain is thick woods with some open pasture and ag fields. I am in NC so there is humidity do deal with.
I would probably go dedicated AR. I am hoping that @kirsch will get on. He has a lot of experience testing thermals and night hunting predators. He was a big help to me.

640 is the way to go, especially if you're used to looking at cherry optics. There are some nice 640 in 35 and 50 mm out there in your price range like Iray RICO, Bering Super Yoter. True micro clip on might be a little harder to find. At 25-100 yds for your primary, I'd strongly recommend a low (~2x) base mag. FOV depending on model can be very narrow within those ranges.

Where in NC. I have been out a few times this year in NC with my Steiner C35, and Gen 3 GP 14s. Sometimes the weather here makes it hard to use one or the other so I always take out both. Scanning with a clip on or dedicated is a PITA. I guess you could link one to a device and use it as a screen, it they would probably give you away with the light from the display.

Another thing with a clip on and existing rifles. If you don’t have a 12 o’clock rail and HIGH rings, most won’t line up with your scope good enough to shoot well.

Where in NC. I have been out a few times this year in NC with my Steiner C35, and Gen 3 GP 14s. Sometimes the weather here makes it hard to use one or the other so I always take out both. Scanning with a clip on or dedicated is a PITA. I guess you could link one to a device and use it as a screen, it they would probably give you away with the light from the display.

Another thing with a clip on and existing rifles. If you don’t have a 12 o’clock rail and HIGH rings, most won’t line up with your scope good enough to shoot well.
I'm in Union County, SE of Charlotte. Maybe I should be looking at night vision? Thermal seemed like it would be easier but like I said, this is all new to me.

Linking to another device seems like a pain and more trouble than it is worth.

I have seen clip-ons that fasten directly to the scope. That is kind of what I had in mind.

I'm in Union County, SE of Charlotte. Maybe I should be looking at night vision? Thermal seemed like it would be easier but like I said, this is all new to me.

Linking to another device seems like a pain and more trouble than it is worth.

I have seen clip-ons that fasten directly to the scope. That is kind of what I had in mind.
It’s a tough call to pick one and say it will do all you need. Using the obj adapters will work for what you want though. The downside is staying behind that scope while you scan, unless you plan on holding it to your eye to scan and then attaching to the scope to shoot. That leaves a lot of room for error as well as possibly giving yourself up moving rapidly or making noise while you mount it.

I’d take some time, ( I know you don’t feel like you have much and still be able to save your flock), and research. Jumping into something and wasting your money and time is worse. Night vision and thermal both have their pros and cons. Both have the real chance of costing a lot of money.

Do NOT get the Swaro. While it works, there are so many better options out there.
The thermal specs are too low for the price.

Check out the Pulsar Krypton 2s (35 and 50) or Infiray MATE50 (I have all 3).

Can you chime in here?

I chatted with the OP on the phone today at length. I covered thermal brands, digital night vision vs analog vs thermal, as well as different products. However, as Shoots100 said if the problem is more a one-time or a limited situation, then having someone with experience and equipment may be the way to go. Even having a trapper or person who runs snares may be a great option.

Since the role is dual and both near and far, a 640 compact thermal such as Super Yoter 35 would be a great fit.

Do NOT get the Swaro. While it works, there are so many better options out there.
The thermal specs are too low for the price.

Check out the Pulsar Krypton 2s (35 and 50) or Infiray MATE50 (I have all 3).
Are you talking about the MSRP 5K or the sale price (2700)? I am looking for a thermal for predator hunting at shorter ranges (<300 yd, most often <100yd) and this Swaro seems like it would be ok. But I am asking opinions.

The answer to this is too simple. AGM Rattler TS35-640 - Feral Texas Outdoors has them for 3k with a three year warranty. QD mount makes it a simple thing to take off the rifle and scan, then when needed it goes back on the rifle in a few seconds. To me the thermal thing really comes down to having one small enough to use as a scanner, and with a QD mount to quickly go back on the rifle. The cost adds up way too quickly if you're buying a dedicated scope, and dedicated scanner, so the key is buying both in a single optic. 90% of the time mine is off the rifle, when something is spotted, clip it on and go.

Reactions: MBanning
Are you talking about the MSRP 5K or the sale price (2700)? I am looking for a thermal for predator hunting at shorter ranges (<300 yd, most often <100yd) and this Swaro seems like it would be ok. But I am asking opinions.

I don't recommend it regardless of the price, but of course 2700 is less worse. For instance, the Swaro thermal is not focusable.
They sell it as "simple to use", as they didn't have the means to develop video recording etc. (my take on it).
It's Swaros' first thermal - avoid. The only thing that impressed me was the resolution of the screen.

The Pulsar Krypton 2 35 or 50 are the best options out there at the moment, both in terms of techs and price.
Chose the 35 if the targets are, say within 100 meters. It has a lower NETD, so a bit more sensitive. Chose the 50 lens otherwise, which sound like it would be best suited for you.

The Infiray Mate MAH50 isn't bad either, but I think it's even more expensive than the Pulsar FXG50 and the Pulsar is a better overall product. Make sure you get the correct adapters. Rusan or other brand may be better than Pulsar's own, but Pulsar's bayonet fitting isn't bad.

Reactions: Graywolf.260
Super Yoter C gets my vote in the $3k price range

has anyone looked through all of these ? curious which one would they pick!

1) AGM Rattler TS35-640
2) TS50-640 ?
3) super Yoter C
4) S35

Last edited:
has anyone looked through all of these ? curious which one would they pick!

1) AGM Rattler TS35-640
2) TS50-640 ?
3) super Yoter C
4) S35
I'm waiting on my AGM Rattler TS50-640 to arrive any day now... My AGM Neith DS32-4MP NV scope showed up Friday, and for the price, that thing is impressive! I wanted one expensive thermal, and one inexpensive NV for a "knock-around" for hog hunting on my old 16" .300 BLK AR that I hardly ever use. I'll be posting a thread on the AGM Rattler TS50-640 once it shows up. But for now I just posted a video and review, with a video, of the lesser expensive AGM Neith Day/Night Vision Scope here on the forum. Here's a link.

Reactions: noobinacan