• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Rifle Scopes New to this...need to raise scope 1/4" or so...suggestions?

iamtheav8r

Private
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2014
Upstate NY
I just put an XLR Carbon chassis on my Savage FCP-K and the objective end of the scope won't clear the hand guard. It needs 1/4" or a hair more. I have a EGW HD Savage 0 MOA aluminum base on there now and Vortex Precision Matched Rings. I do own the same base in a 20 MOA model, but I'll seldom shoot beyond 300 yards so I was thinking it wouldn't be great to leave the scope elevation cranked down all the time. I'm not even sure if the 20 MOA base would resolve the problem.

I'd prefer to not have to buy new rings if possible, but I'm not sure what options are available today. Shimming the base? Shim the rings? Buy a slighter taller base?

I'd appreciate some help.

Thanks

Easiest route... sell your rings you have now, and buy some taller ones. Leave the base you have on now, since you are not shooting great distances.

DK

Using the 20MOA base could actually aggravate the problem as it will situate the object lens even lower. Taller rings are the only real cure.

Shims are only used when you're talking "thousandths" of an inch and are never a good idea under the rings.

Last edited:
Using the 20MOA base could actually aggravate the problem as it will situate the object lens even lower. Taller rings are the only real cure.

Shims are only used when you're talking "thousandths" of an inch and are never a good idea under the rings.

Thanks. I was thinking about the base in the wrong way.

So for rings I can buy the same rings I have just in the taller size or do you guys have some suggestions for others that you like?

Current rings are the Vortex Precision Matched 30mm (low) I think they're around $120 a pair. They look good, but I wouldn't mind saving a few bucks if it doesn't sacrifice quality.

thanks

The Vortex Rings are made by Seekins... stick with them, as they are absolutely awesome rings!!

DK

I have a set of nightforce ultra lite mediums that came with my NF scope that I'd sell for like $100 shipped if you're interested

I just bought some high Vortex precision rings for the same reason. $119US at most shops. There is a 10% coupon code at OpticsPlanet right now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

^^^ This

When I had an XLR, I use the GG&G riser with a Warne 20MOA base. I just had to do a minor amount of inletting at the forward under the GG&G just because of the way it aligned with the slots on the base.

Here is a pic

58658d1361940634-remington-700-build-xlr.jpg

Last edited:
roggom, that mount looks really nice on the XLR chassis!

^^^ This

When I had an XLR, I use the GG&G riser with a Warne 20MOA base. I just had to do a minor amount of inletting at the forward under the GG&G just because of the way it aligned with the slots on the base.

Here is a pic

That rifle is some serious bad-ass-ness to the tenth degree with stripper titties in your mouth.

Although I sold the chassis already I liked the way the riser fit. It was rock solid and looked like it grew out of the receiver. I could not afford a Spuhr and IMHO real tall rings look dorky. Sure function over form but with close to 900 in stock and goodies I did care how it looked.

Last edited:
Ya, ordered mine on Amazon before I saw your post. $119 free shipping. What's the 10% code?

I just bought some high Vortex precision rings for the same reason. $119US at most shops. There is a 10% coupon code at OpticsPlanet right now.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

It was right on the main page. Any order over $100 use code 10LUCKY. Ends tonight, 11:59 CST.

Thanks. I just held fast with the Amazon order as it'll be here tomorrow (Prime) and the PO order would be the end of next week or later.

Here's mine with the scope balancing on top. :)

savagexlr.jpg

^^^ This

Here is a pic