• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New toy. DPMS SASS

7mmRM

Minuteman
Jul 2, 2004
Celestine, Indiana
Scooped up this beast from a member here. First venture into a precision gas 308. Added a Magpul PRS, different grip, NF Unimount, and topped it off with a NXS 3.5-15x50 R1.
PDOG09096.jpg

PDOG09097.jpg

Re: New toy. DPMS SASS

Congrats, that is a sweet piece. It looks like it turned out really nice. I am working on building aomething similar on an Armalite platform. What length barrel does it have on it? Thanks!

It is very nice i might just have to get one after shooting it!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vette447</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Congrats, that is a sweet piece. It looks like it turned out really nice. I am working on building aomething similar on an Armalite platform. What length barrel does it have on it? Thanks! </div></div>

Thanks! 18.5" BBL.

Nice stick 7mmRM. Been thinking about it also. I put my name on the wait list for a GAP semi-auto. Will see what happens. Don't forget range report.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: nad1967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what grip? Ergo? </div></div>

Im not really sure. I got it from 308Skinner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't forget range report. </div></div>

Loading ammo as we speak...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DesertHK</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Don't forget range report. </div></div>

Loading ammo as we speak... </div></div>

What recipe are you using? assuming 155 grains scenar and a pinch of varget behind?

Is that an 18" or 20" barrel? My neighbor has the 16" stick (not the SASS model) tried the 175 pill and could get it fast enough to get beyond 800 yards.

Can you also post the MV of your load with the range report? Thank you

Hope that it shoots better than mine did...had one of the first runs, grouped SUCKED!! Looks good though.

Looks like my recent new toy but mine has the 24" barrel. My first .308 AR also. Very inpressed with the accuracy for a semi auto. Hope yours is as well.
P6210588.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rob,

308? Do you handload for it?? If so, whats worked best?</div></div>

Not yet. Running facory 168 AMAX through it now. Plan on reloading for it next month.

that is very - very nice - I have a DPMS SASS and I absolutely love it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 308skinner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It is very nice i might just have to get one after shooting it! </div></div>

LMAO If you're not brothers..... Time to ugly up another????

A little load development... Some of the groups, I feel were a fault of mine. Im used to 1.5- 2lb bolt rifle triggers. The RRA in it breaks @ 4.5lbs. I have a JP single stage that Im puttin in it this AM.

Very well prepped LC brass was used.
Varget
CCI primers
5shot groups

43grn Varget
175SMK
2463 FPS AVG
ES- 18
SD-8
.75MOA

175SMK
2484 FPS AVG
ES- 56
SD- 21
1MOA

44grns
175SMK
2528 FPS AVG
ES-34
SD-12
1.5MOA

45grns Varget
168AMAX
2489 FPS AVG
ES-23
SD-9
.75MOA

43grn
170 Lapua LB
2476 FPS AVG
ES- 16
SD- 7
A shade over .5MOA

170 Lapua
2492 FPS AVG
ES-44
SD-17
1MOA

170Lapua
2531 FPS AVG
ES-30
SD- 10
1.75MOA

The best group were my "get on paper" load! These are pulled 180 SMKs. Silly me, I hit delete string, instead of Review string, but I did have 2 sets of duplicate velocities and one that wasnt far off. I remember my first 2 shots were DUPs @ 2467FPS.

43 Varget
180 SMK
2467 FPS
I didnt break out the calipers, but 5 went into a hole that a penny would cover. It was likely a fluke, but Im loading up some more of the Lapua LBs and these 180s @ the 43.0grn charge.

Thanks for the load info. I am waiting for an AR10 build by EFI, LLC. The more load ideas I can get the better.

From all my reading so far it seems that Varget is a very safe bet. I keep seeing both 168 and 175 SMKs and the Lapua 155 Scenars.

For brass I do not plan on anything fancy as the gas gun will chew up nice Lapua cases. I will save those for the bolt gun (when I get that far).