• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

New TRG 42

swamp donkey

Private
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2013
www.facebook.com
Hi all. I've just put a deposit on a new TRG 42 in .338LM, it's an earlier model with a 1-12" twist, can anybody help out with a start load that should perform well enough for me to put 50 or so rounds through to get used to it before starting proper load development.
I have 285gr A-max, RL33, H4831 and US869 powders, federal 215 primers and Lapua brass.
Not looking for a 'magic' load, just one that should be sub MOA to get a base zero and get some trigger time in with.
I'm asking here as you guys in the US are more likely to have ideas than forums here as the 338 isn't common at all in the UK due to our overly restrictive Licencing.

Cheers

Pete

Regards

Pete

Hi all. I've just put a deposit on a new TRG 42 in .338LM, it's an earlier model with a 1-12" twist, can anybody help out with a start load that should perform well enough for me to put 50 or so rounds through to get used to it before starting proper load development.
I have 285gr A-max, RL33, H4831 and US869 powders, federal 215 primers and Lapua brass.
Not looking for a 'magic' load, just one that should be sub MOA to get a base zero and get some trigger time in with.
I'm asking here as you guys in the US are more likely to have ideas than forums here as the 338 isn't common at all in the UK due to our overly restrictive Licencing.
First off congrats. The 42 is such a stellar system right out of the box. In 338 the chassis is fantastic. RL33 is really a great powder, very stable just a little dirty so prepare to clean.

RL33 with 285, Lapua Brass with seating .015 off lands.
I would test 97.2 of the RL33 and come up from there. I found 97.8 is very accurate however the MV is a little low 2712mv. Funny but this load works for my DTA338 as well just great. The TRG is not a picky rifle and will shoot a lot of formulas well. However please keep in mind that I have a newer TRG with tighter twist. But the 1/12 twist is great in that rifle with heavier bullets as the barrel is so long.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409329408.693818.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409329428.060211.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1409329443.543122.jpg

Got it. :) :) :)
The 22 is the folder, 42 is fixed stock.

Regards

Pete