• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

new TRG22 - 20" or 26" barrel???

brt1963

Private
Minuteman
Nov 1, 2009
CT
So I have been very seriously considering getting a TRG22 for the past few years. Mostly just want a very high quality bolt action .308, and like the blend of adjustability and out of the box quality for the $$$.

I know I could probably go Savage, or M700, and achieve the same ends - but I've like the Sakos for some time, and figure what the hell, I can afford it, so get what I want.

For years, there has been the same basic rifle, and you could choose black or green stock, and that was it.

Now, there are multi colors, and I just saw an option to get a 20" barrel out of the factory, instead of the 26" barrel.

From all I have read, you give up a few ft/sec with the shorter tube, but may actually see better accuracy (probably tough to actually discern with the TRG, but in theory). Plus, a bit easier handling. I'll probably never see a 1,000 yard range, as I live in CT - so that is not really a driver here.

Any thoughts on the merits of the 20" vs 26" barrel?

thanks

Re: new TRG22 - 20" or 26" barrel???

You can still easily get to 1K with a 20" barrel. You can add a can later if you desire. There are many pluses to the 20" barrel and very few cons.

I would go with the 20" barrel and never look back.

i own a trg22 and trg 42 in 300 wm. i also have a savage with a 20 incher. let me say, there is no problem getting to 1k, had both to 1408 yds. 20" or 26", 20" will do fine. as far as velocity loss, chrono'd the 26" @ 2650 with 210 smk's, the 20" @ 2625 with 210 smk's. at 1400 yards i dialed up 19.0 mils on the trg22, and 19.1 mils on the 20" savage. for what's it's worth, same load, only difference is that the savage is .050 shorter than the sako, both seated to touch the lands.

I have the 26" barrel as duty rifle. It's superlative. Fantastic accuracy.

That said, if Sako offers it in 20", it's because it meets their standards. You won't give up anything.

So get the one you want. I like longer barrels. Just my opinion and preference. I also like the muzzle brake. Just my opinion and preference.

The thing about the TRG series is that they are more accurate "out of the box" than many rifles after big $ customization. If Sako sells its TRG with a 20" barrel, it's because it will perform as well as the 26" and better than most custom guns.

You will not regret Sako purchase.

Cheers,

Sirhr

What are you using it for? If you plan on shooting tactical competitions then go with the 20" as it will probably balance better and weild quicker in your hands. If you are shooting primarily prone or off a bench i would go with the longer barrel, every inch for velocity helps at long range.

I have a 26" TRG and it will shoot tight. I also have another one cut to 21". Cannot tell which one will shoot better than the other. It's all about your application and what you want to use it for. Either the 20" or the 26" will do a fantastic job.

20" barrel on any heavy barrel will look, handle and shoot very NICE, I cut my rem700PSS down to 20" shoot group regular 1/4" if I do my part, otherwise 1/2" regularly. IT LIKE 168BTHP, 45grain Varget. But are also looking at Getting Sako TRG22, Getting 20" would be a great option...

If you require the extra velocity (and it can be quite substantial) then go with the 26". If not then the 20" beeing easier to control is the way to go. It's comes down to a personal choice. Either way you will be getting a super rifle.

Just got back from the range with the Finish lady. I also have been wanting a TRG 22 for several years. Finally I have it, with 26" barrel. I am conservative old dog so I chose 26, but I believe both options will be up to Sako's level of excellence. Go get one, they are absolutelly great rifles.

I have the 26" and love it but I must say that I was really impressed with the 20" folding stock model. It felt rock solid up on the shoulder and I normally don't care for folding stock rifles. Nothing flimsy about that rifle.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd probably get the 20" folder in 308 and a 26" in one of the magnum calibers.