• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New trigger engaging firing pin on bolt-close

Apache

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 6, 2008
Chico, CA
Good afternoon everyone,

I recently swapped out my X-Mark trigger with a TriggerTech trigger for my Rem 700 SPS-V. Upon applying torque to the rear action screw to the recommended 65 in/lbs on my Evolution chassis, closing the bolt on "fire" results in the firing pin engaging. I noticed that this only happens when the rear action screw is torqued down past approximately 30 in/lbs.

This leads me to speculate that possibly the stock's rear action screw may be a hair too long and engaging something it shouldn't be? Is this something that you guys may have come across when installing a new trigger? I done a bit of Google searching with several people stating this has occurred with Timneys, but with little in the way of solutions.

I removed the chassis, and tested the barreled action on its own. In this condition, it performs normally in both "fire" and "safe" function checks.

One last additional question, while removing the original trigger, the bolt release and corresponding spring did fall out. Now this is the first time I have reassembled this portion, but there's no "magic" way of assembling it, right? Just make sure everything lines up and the spring is the correct place?

If anyone has any recommendations, please let me know.

Straight from the box it was set at approximately 2.5 lbs. It has a range of 1.5-4 lbs. Haven't really touched the adjustments at all.

Most concerning is that only when fully torqued down does this slamfire occur.

Sorry. I got nothing. I had a similar problem with my Timney, but turned out the trigger was set too low, and wasn't maintaining spring tension.

Ensure that it's still doing it with the rifle aimed at the floor (so the trigger is in forward position even without spring tension). I had thought mine may have to do with stock too, but it was really just how I was holding it in the two different configurations. Sounds like that probably isn't the case, so you probably have a bolt going somewhere it shouldn't, or the stock itself is putting pressure on the trigger when torqued down.