• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New trigger for a budget Rock River AR?

kdschu

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
There are so damn many triggers out there, it's hard to even know what to look at. I bought this LAR15 A4 carbine a few years ago on clearance for cheap. I have Never really liked the trigger at all-- single stage that just does not break fully or predictably. I am sure that asking opinions on triggers from you guys is like asking a thousand mechanics what is the best oil... but what should I be looking at?
I am not doing anything competitive with this-- just fun at the range and dealing with some varmints. I am a CHEAP ASS... LOL ... so I am looking for opinions on the best "bang for the buck" trigger at the lower end of the price scale. Just a good competent trigger that breaks clean.

I like these for the price fairly smooth and consistant.
They are not a match or target trigger, they can be ran in the field.

Reactions: kdschu
LaRue MBT is the cheapest and best performing IMO. I have 3 and have installed a couple for friends, I'll cant stand a "factory" trigger anymore. For High end a Geiselle HS NM ($280), the SSA-E ($180ish? on sale, $240 list) is popular and nice but not considerably better than the LaRue ($80)yet considerably more money.

This.
You can not beat this trigger, especially considering the price.
Rock River does make a very nice 2 stage trigger.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anything else at the price-point that was a real competitor. I would hesitate to stake my life on a trigger from Rock River or similar but have no doubt a LaRue would get the job done. Same goes for Geissele, but at 3x the price....

I've tried Geissele HSNM, SSA-E, PSA 2-stage nickel boron, BCM, ALG QMS, Schmid Tool and have found that the LaRue is the best for the price IMHO. I now have 6 MBT-2S and 1 MBT-1S. The Geissele HSNM is a superb trigger, but it's not 3X a better trigger than the MBT-2S.

I just sold an RRA two stage trigger for $50 to a guy on here a while back. Look in the PX. A LOT of lives have actually depended on this trigger, truth be told. The Larue everyone talks about but Larue did what Larue does and ran me off a while back. The RRA two stage was sort of THE go-to two stage trigger for AR's for a long time. IIRC there's one thing you can do to increase the reliability, you replace the (disconnector pin?) with drill stock cut long enough it won't slide out when installed in the lower.

I have a couple higher end GI triggers if you're interested, you can PM me. I won't be using 'em. LMT mfg. They're around 5-6lbs I think but a little stone work turns 'em into good 4lb triggers, BTDT. PM me if interested, I'll sell one or trade it for something reasonable. Not all GI triggers are the same. Some of these companies park the whole goddamn thing, some "polish" contact points, most leave the contact surface "as is". I'd start with one like that and take a fine stone to it and call it good if you really wanna save money. Maybe fart around with some different springs too. You'll get the 4lb. mark for sure and there are ways to get it lower but I wouldn't recommend it, a smooth 4lb release is better than a crunchy 2lb any day.

Best bang for buck IMO is the Brownell's Geissele triggers, they make two, one is a two stage and one is a rapid fire single stage type trigger. You gotta wait until Brownell's has 'em on sale, then they're about $130 but they're basically on par with the standard Geissele shit. They use a different method of retention (removes a mfg. step I think) and they don't inspect and engrave each part, they do 'em in batches, and that saves money. Given it's only $30 more than an RRA two stage cost twenty years ago, I think they're a great deal.

But I've tried most of the ones available and got to do it side by side. Geissele just wins hands down, they charge that much because they can, hell, they could probably charge more if everyone actually compared 'em prior to purchase. There are companies that charge more than Geissele and don't even come close. The trigger that surprised me the most was the AR Gold, didn't think I'd like it but it's nicer than I thought. The Wilson was the biggest shock, most expensive, least quality.

The $330 KAC trigger is one of the most expensive AR triggers, a really nice reliable and bomb proof looking 2 stage you can depend on, but it's not nearly as nice as a Geissele SSA/E or especially a HI-Speed, which it got swapped with. So with triggers at least, cost isn't the only factor and you don't always get what you pay for here IME.

Another vote for LaRue’s MBT.
You can’t ask for a better trigger at $80-100.

Reactions: JS8588
Rock River sells a two stage match trigger that works.

Yeah, I've got a RRA 2 stage in a gun and its pretty good. It's not a SD-E, but its pretty good. That said, the Larue MBT-2S is even less expensive and generally better regarded.

I am told the RRA is cast. Is the LaRue tool steel? I would imagine.

I have a 3.5 pound single stage I pulled out of a 100 round Seekins rifle. Would sell for $100. Really nice single stage truffle.

I run the ALG triggers on all my AR's. Well worth the small investment and plenty sufficient for anything I use them for. I'm sure the premium triggers are nice, but I find the ALG's to be a great value and all I really need in a hunting platform. Now, if I could just drop one in an 870...

I run the ALG triggers on all my AR's. Well worth the small investment and plenty sufficient for anything I use them for. I'm sure the premium triggers are nice, but I find the ALG's to be a great value and all I really need in a hunting platform. Now, if I could just drop one in an 870...
Yep. I like the ALG. I installed one on a home defense AR.

Larue MBT is as cheap as I would go. I would also prefer any of the lower end Geisseles (G2S and similar) to a Larue MBT.

I've run Timney, Rise Armament, several Geissele, and Larue MBT.

You can't beat the value of the Larue. To my subjective finger it fits right between the Geissele SSA and SSA-E, but is about a third the price.

I really like the LaRue MBT-2s straight bow, it's way better than any $80 trigger has any right to be. I'm about to order another.

No love for chip triggers on the hide? All my ar’s have them. I think I paid $189 for my first one years ago and now they can be found for a bit over $100 on sale.

As others have mentioned, ALG triggers are astonishingly cheap for the quality you get. I like 'em. Rock River's 2 stage is pretty good, too. One of my fellow officers has a Rise Armament trigger in his rifle that's very pleasant to shoot.

That said, I've got CMC's drop-in flat faced triggers in two of my rifles, and if I had my way they'd be in all of them. You can frequently find them for $115-130 at PSA, Primary Arms, etc.

No love for chip triggers on the hide? All my ar’s have them. I think I paid $189 for my first one years ago and now they can be found for a bit over $100 on sale.

I tried one. Once. It got installed, function tested, and immediately removed and replaced with a Geissele (the build was for my wife. She prefers Geissele to LaRue).

The reason? There was extra play between the receiver and the trigger housing creating slop before the initial takeup/first stage. Yes, you can fix that by shimming with electrical tape or some such, but CMC, unlike most drop-in units has no built-in ability to snug the housing up in the receiver. I suspect that's the reason they don't get much love here.

I like these for the price fairly smooth and consistant.
They are not a match or target trigger, they can be ran in the field.

I just installed one and am hoping it will wear in a bit. It seems smooth enough, but it's seriously heavy. I'll see if I can locate my trigger pull gauge and see what it comes up to.

Reactions: Snuby642
LaRue or the RRA NM 2-stage....................both are under $100. You can;t do better unless you want to spend some real money but yo said you were a tight ass, so these are your best deal, not necessarily the best triggers.

MM

Reactions: kdschu
I just installed one and am hoping it will wear in a bit. It seems smooth enough, but it's seriously heavy. I'll see if I can locate my trigger pull gauge and see what it comes up to.

You can get a lighter spring for it cheap.

I'm kind of a low budget trigger whore and like smooth more than just light.

I have had issues with light triggers in the field, shanked shots, no real problems but a failed attempt nevertheless. A bench rest trigger has no place except on the bench were it is welcome from me anymore.

I belive I have a 2 1/2 lb pull on most of mine I have reworked now.

Thats my comfortable place.

If I remember right 3 1/2 was stock on those.

Last edited:
I tried one. Once. It got installed, function tested, and immediately removed and replaced with a Geissele (the build was for my wife. She prefers Geissele to LaRue).

The reason? There was extra play between the receiver and the trigger housing creating slop before the initial takeup/first stage. Yes, you can fix that by shimming with electrical tape or some such, but CMC, unlike most drop-in units has no built-in ability to snug the housing up in the receiver. I suspect that's the reason they don't get much love here.
All mine are solid, but I have not bought one in over 5 years. Never heard of a problem with the 20 or so I have installed for myself or friends, but ?

I've been using all different kinds of higher-end triggers dating back to the early 2000s.

The problems with the RRA 2-stage is that the sear contact points wear out over time. This was the biggest complaint with them from hi-power guys for years.

Geissele came along and fixed that problem with a better steel and surface hardness, but at a significant price increase as well.

The LaRue MBT-2S or straight bow triggers are the ones to beat. They are sold at a lower price because LaRue owns all the tooling for them and builds them in-house with top-end tool steel and EDM wire cut, so you don't get a lot of the tiny stress fractures that later propagate and snap hammers on a full power hammer spring FCG with a lightweight hammer.

Those of us who shoot a lot learned a long time ago that once you go to reduced power hammer springs with a bobbed hammer, you get a lot of failure to activate primers in cold weather, so a full power hammer spring is needed to reliably set off your cartridges.

Full power hammer spring with a MIM'd and precision-ground hammer can be a recipe for hammer-snap. I've seen it, but it is rare.

The LaRue MBT-2S is now my default trigger for these reasons. They have units in test apparatuses with millions of cycles on them and the same instrumented weights, consistent breaking point, and performance.

The problems with the RRA 2-stage is that the sear contact points wear out over time.
It took the one I had about 200 rounds before it went from a 2 stage to a long and mushy single stage about every 2 or 3 pulls. This was about about 10 years ago. Hopefully they've improved them since then but like everyone else is saying, there is no reason to not get a Larue.

It took the one I had about 200 rounds before it went from a 2 stage to a long and mushy single stage about every 2 or 3 pulls. This was about about 10 years ago. Hopefully they've improved them since then but like everyone else is saying, there is no reason to not get a Larue.
I've got one that lets off unpredictably every time, kinda like a light AK trigger. I threw it in one of my retros where it doesn't really matter, but will probably replace it with something else.

It was given to me by a guy that shoots a lot of high power, otherwise he was going to throw it in the trash.

I have had really good luck with RRA two stage match trigger.

Another LaRue MBT2S vote, really hard to beat for under 100 bucks, built like an anvil. Dropped one in a POF Edge 308 a few weeks ago that did not come with the good POF trigger, it had a regular (felt like) mil-spec in it. Very impressed. Kills anything in the same price range. Not quite a high end Geissele, but they are 3 times the price.

Last edited:
Damn!! That is a helluva lot of votes for that LaRue! I got busy and haven't stopped back here--- I think I got my answer! 👍

I just placed an order for that MBT-2S. Should be fun to get that installed and go shoot. :) :cool:

hmmm... arrived yesterday, but I have NO time for a few days. Would have been better if there was a shipping delay. This is torture....

1590848859736.png