• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing New trigger for Christmas

InTheFace

Private
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2009
North Texas
Wife is getting me a new trigger for Christmas. Currently have the x-mark or whatever it is on the Remington.

Im looking for 1.5 lbs or so. I would like to be able to install it myself. I do want the same style safety as I have now.

What options do I have? and who is the peron to buy from?

Re: New trigger for Christmas

I like Factory old style sent to GA precision and tuned down. I like mine at 2.5 pounds. Just my two cents though.

since you don't want to go below 1.5# I would look at the Timney, you can buy them almost anywhere (midway etc..) They are identical to the factory triggers.

Jewell is by far the way to go. Very easy to install, and the trigger has a range from 1.5oz to 3 lb. If you call and order from Jewell they will pre-set the trigger to where you want it, and send you the other springs so u can change it if needs be. I only shoot Jewell's and I have mine set at 1 lb and i use this for hunting and target . Absolutely crisp clean pull, like breaking glass every time. No creep whatsoever.

Oh and i see u live in North Texas, Jewell is based out of San Marcos, in central Texas

Jewell is the way to go, San Marcos is up the road from me and I was able to go to the shop and pick two up both set a 1.5# Great customer service the rep. adjusted them both for me on the spot. Installation is easy.
Woody

My smith recommended the Rifle basix trigger to replace my 40x. He tuned it to 2.5 lbs, so far I am very happy with it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exedotbat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My smith recommended the Rifle basix trigger to replace my 40x. He tuned it to 2.5 lbs, so far I am very happy with it.</div></div> Not sure you got the best deal with that one...
I'd like to have the 40x trigger myself.
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: exedotbat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My smith recommended the Rifle basix trigger to replace my 40x. He tuned it to 2.5 lbs, so far I am very happy with it.</div></div> Not sure you got the best deal with that one...
I'd like to have the 40x trigger myself.
Chad </div></div>

I meant X-mark

Honed 700 or RB. I got the Jewel set at 2# on my new stick and it will get replaced. I hate the narrow shoe, of course I may be able to learn to deal with it but for now, the narrow shoe allows me to roll mostly to the left off the shoe causing fliers.

I got to use a honed 700 set to 2.5 pounds, absolutely a better trigger than my Jewel. I like the wide shoe but it feels like it breaks more clean and feels like an easier pull.

RB LV1 with kit set to 1# is on my 700 SPS and I prefer it best. With 1000 rounds of use it still breaks clean at 1# and has a very wide shoe for good pad feel. The safety feels cheap but at least it works unlike my Jewel that does not work and must be sent back for warranty replacement but will not go back into the stick.

i am looking for the place i got one from,the guy has a large selection,and top notch service.

the shooters corner,973 663 5159.this guy has all kinds of triggers,he also has a selection of used triggers that he works,they come with a satisfaction gaurantee.every time i called i was able to talk to the owner.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: teambarlar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">the shooters corner,973 663 5159.this guy has all kinds of triggers,he also has a selection of used triggers that he works,they come with a satisfaction gaurantee.every time i called i was able to talk to the owner. </div></div>

Thats who did my trigger, Bob White, great guy and great work.

esedotbat,
That explains it a bit better. I'd get rid of the X mark from what I've heard as well. If you can find a 40x, grab it. If not get a good old Remington and get it worked. That should be a pretty good trigger that you will be happy with.
Chad

Jacksons are nice but$$$$$$$$$$$

Jewells seem to be the best in cost and performanc eI like them a lot
Bill

just put a rifle basix 2.5 lb in my new 5r that came with the x mark thing. just called up rifle basix and told him what i wanted. they were great to deal with and FAST. talked with them on the phone monday morning at 8 am pacific time. trigger was in my mailbox thursday afternoon.

put it in myself. directions were good. i ordered mine with the safety and bolt release because i build power lines not rifles. ive never been offered a job building swiss watches either. this thing was easy to put in.

i picked up a 1/8th inch cobalt drill bit and punch and a rubber mallet at the hardware store.

i used the bit to clean out the factory holes that were staked. twisted it by hand so as not to get carried away with the drill.

EZ fast and nice.

Clay was the guys name at rifle basix. GTG