• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes New Trijicon TARS FFP 3-15x50mm @ $3500-3600 MAP?!

GT40MkI

Texas
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
West of DFW, Texas
Thoughts? Supposed to be released later this year...I could see it having a fighting chance if it were closer to the $2000-2500 mark (and market may adjust accordingly) but to dethrone S&B it's going to be a NICE piece of kit.

Anyone more fortunate than I get a chance to put their hands on it?

Sorry if this is a repost - I searched for Trijicon and Tars before starting the thread...

Re: New Trijicon TARS FFP 3-15x50mm @ $3500-3600 MAP?!

Nice looking scope, I have the Accu Point 5-20 mildot. I do see however a problem with the battery compartment being located on the bottom of the scope just behind the side focus. It looks like its gonna be a pain to change out batteries without removing the scope from the rifle or if your running a one piece like me I would have to remove the scope from the rings. It to me looks like alot of frustration for a scope that costs that much and so far only a standard duplex cross hair. I would hope they offer more reticle choices for the different shooters.

Yeah, epic fail on their part. The price point puts you well beyond top tier glass. Why would anyone go with a triji when a SB,PR,Henny can be had...for less.

For that price I will configure my own USO and still have the money to damn near configure a USO spotter to go with it.

Is there supposed to be something new and revolutionary about the Trijicon, or are they just slapping a huge MSRP on it to drive up (or drive away) consumer interest?

Sounds to me like they're wanting to price themselves right out of the market.

It's the scope equivalent of a Bushmaster ACR...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the scope equivalent of a Bushmaster ACR... </div></div>

Good point..

Maybe someone will make a a new Hitler video about it like they did with the ACR.
laugh.gif

I'm sure a few idiots will buy it because it says Trijicon.

A duplex reticle though? Seriously?

I am a firm believer in the truism of "you get what you pay for" but this doesn't seem all that great. Unless the TARS shows me the future when I look through it, at this price point and weight I'd go with a March with some serious power.
3 lbs for a 3-15x scope seems like craziness.

I talked to a few people who have looked at it this week at SHOT and the overall impression is not that great, especially for the price.

I think they've hired Ricky Gervais for their sales and marketing...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice looking scope, I have the Accu Point 5-20 mildot. I do see however a problem with the battery compartment being located on the bottom of the scope just behind the side focus. It looks like its gonna be a pain to change out batteries without removing the scope from the rifle or if your running a one piece like me I would have to remove the scope from the rings. It to me looks like alot of frustration for a scope that costs that much and so far only a standard duplex cross hair. I would hope they offer more reticle choices for the different shooters. </div></div>

The battery is not enclosed in the Bottom, that is an error, it is located in the parallax knob. The people marketing the product doesn't know anything about the actual product.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: netranger6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah, epic fail on their part. The price point puts you well beyond top tier glass. Why would anyone go with a triji when a SB,PR,Henny can be had...for less. </div></div>

They must be charging by the ounce
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: frankythefly</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zebra308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Nice looking scope, I have the Accu Point 5-20 mildot. I do see however a problem with the battery compartment being located on the bottom of the scope just behind the side focus. It looks like its gonna be a pain to change out batteries without removing the scope from the rifle or if your running a one piece like me I would have to remove the scope from the rings. It to me looks like alot of frustration for a scope that costs that much and so far only a standard duplex cross hair. I would hope they offer more reticle choices for the different shooters. </div></div>

The battery is not enclosed in the Bottom, that is an error, it is located in the parallax knob. The people marketing the product doesn't know anything about the actual product. </div></div>

Yep your right. I looked at some of the pics that LoneWolf posted and yes you can see on the side of the side focus. I stand corrected good eye.

I don't know which is a bigger fail... 47 ounces or the $3,990 price tag.
The lens cap/sunshade it up to 51 ounces BTW.
TARdS... that's funny.

I had a chance to take a look at it at SHOT. It's a nice enough scope, but it's way too damn heavy and it's price way higher than I'd be willing to pay (for this scope). At this price, I see know reason to pick this scope over a Hensoldt or S&B. Even priced at $1000 less, I'd take a USO first.

I would hope pricing would come down by the time they hit market. I mean other than weight couldn't one make the same assumption of the Leupy Mark 8's? Why pay 3500$ when S&B, PH, and Henny are readily available, tried and true at the same price.

After they sit on the shelves awhile without moving the prices will start coming down.....

Priced themselves out of it in my opinion. Get a S&B instead if your going to drop that much $$$$$$$$$$

I wonder if the maker of the Trijicon scopes also makes Premier.

No, the Trijicon is entirely made in house 100% in the USA and uses US Rochester Schott Glass.

Everything is done by Trijicon, from start to finish. This scope is made to be as durable as an ACOG and nobody can say that in a variable scope of this type.

I spent more than an hour with them, it's in there and worth it when you consider what they have done.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kombayotch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's the scope equivalent of a Bushmaster ACR... </div></div>

Good one, I LOL'ed

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No, the Trijicon is entirely made in house 100% in the USA and uses US Rochester Schott Glass.

Everything is done by Trijicon, from start to finish. This scope is made to be as durable as an ACOG and nobody can say that in a variable scope of this type.

I spent more than an hour with them, it's in there and worth it when you consider what they have done. </div></div>

100% made in the US, no wonder it's so damn expensive

I wasn't too terribly impressed with this scope. It's big and bulky. No zero stop, but I hear the production version will have it. Will it be as durable as all the other Trijicons I have had in the past? Probably. I love their ACOG line of sights.

About the only scope I saw at shot that I personally really liked as the Leupy MK6 3.2-18x44. The 3-24x56 Henny is still up in the air for for. It's another huge scope, with limited reticles and a huge price tag. I asked the guys at Zeiss if they have any other reticles planned at this time. They said no, and gave me the typical German line of you are going to take what we give and you will like it. WTFLOL. I'll stick with another company that has more options and don't think so highly of themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure a few idiots will buy it because it says Trijicon.

A duplex reticle though? Seriously? </div></div>

Yeah this is pretty much on point. Usually when I see items like this come out i automatically think... someone, somewhere built this for a specific client. I just dont know who would want a duplex though.

Anyway looks completely useless. Sad, i'll stick to S&B for high end glass.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 11B-B4</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure a few idiots will buy it because it says Trijicon.

A duplex reticle though? Seriously? </div></div>

Yeah this is pretty much on point. Usually when I see items like this come out i automatically think... someone, somewhere built this for a specific client. I just dont know who would want a duplex though.

Anyway looks completely useless. Sad, i'll stick to S&B for high end glass. </div></div>

Are you all kidding there are several versions including mil / mil and moa / moa and going back and seeing the scope, talking to the engineers and seeing the internals I was seriously impressed with it.

you guys see one thing and think it tells the entire tale, clearly you have no clue

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">100% made in the US, no wonder it's so damn expensive</div></div>

If you knew the import tariffs on many of these scopes you wouldn't say that. In many cases the import tax is the same as the cost to have the scope made in Asia. While certainly onerous government regulations, the third highest corporate tax in the world, dealing with the healthcare mess, and, to a very small extent, actual wages, do make costs higher in the U.S. those tariffs can be pretty sharp, depending on who you, are and where your product is coming from. I suspect that Trijicon's high cost has more to do with using Schott glass, recouping development costs, and their being used to military contractor profit margins than it does U.S. manufacture.

100% USA made ... NICE

51 ounces w/ sunshade ... BAD

Guess Im sticking to USO ...

I think its very cool that its 100% USA made and I hope they can trim a little fat on the weight and price to compete with the other high end players. If they could get it down to $3k and 2.5 lbs I would give one a go. Making a variable as durable as the ACOG line wasn't easy im sure. As for the internals and what they did to make it bombproof as described ... more info please!

I looked it over. Shot it and played with it some more.

It feels extremely well built. I don't doubt that the durability will be there.

I just wonder if they will be able to carve out their market share with the pricing they have set.

They priced their scope in with a lot of other extremely capable optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJimFish</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
I suspect that Trijicon's high cost has more to do with using Schott glass, recouping development costs, and their being used to military contractor profit margins than it does U.S. manufacture.</div></div>
Excellent point. I'm sure it won't be long, since they already have the contacts, that this is being used. Not that it's a bad thing! Just that you're right, they can charge whatever they want for it and the military will pay

I have wanted an ACOG with turrets for a while.

This thing is SWEET.

I'm gonna get one as soon as Bill Gates agrees to to Adopt me . . . .
grin.gif

BMT

Looks like Trijicon website is stating the unit will ship this summer, they already have the pre-order button up. <span style="color: #FF0000">$3,990.00</span> is a lot of coin. Their info states that the scope has 150MOA of total elevation with a Zero stop (nice that they added the zero stop). I would imagine these scopes would quickly be adopted into the SDM roll, and with the momentum and recognition of the ACOG they probably will do very well within the Military community. The price point however might give civilian purchaser pause; it would make me do a lot of soul searching prior to shelling out that much.

V/R
Jason

Clearly the goal was durability and if it can take the beating an ACOG can they've created a new class of optic. Those who need it will pay for it. Funny how those who don't need it get pissy that they didn't build something geared towards them. Classic interwebs forum mindset.

Video of TARS in acton with a feeble explanation of it's features: http://www.americanrifleman.org/m-blogentry.aspx?id=3951&cid=25

Yeah, I'm not sure where the whining is coming from. If that thing has an FFP mil reticle, milradian adjustments, the ability to accept sacrificial lenses/filters, 150 mils of elevation, and the durability and clarity of an ACOG, I'd much sooner spend the $3500 on one of these than an S&B.

For me, S&Bs or USOs are not $1000 better than the best NFs. Take your 15#+ rifle and drop it scope first onto a concrete deck and I doubt you're going to see much durability difference between the two, which is why I don't own any S&Bs/USOs. I would further bet that I could do that with an ACOG and get bored doing it before something broke. THAT, to me, is worth the coin if the other features I want are there.

Did a Google search and this thread came up. Any more news on this bad boy? I've never owned a Trijicon anything, but I do own PR and USO scopes. I say if the quality and workmanship is on par with some of the other top-tier manufacturers and completely built in the USA at the very minimum it provides one more viable option. I'm all for US-built options!

All that said, pricing is a little steep - maybe more people would seriously consider it if the price tag was under 3k.

I have only looked at this scope at SHOT. I went set against it since the specs and the price looked un-appealing. I walked away thinking that the scope definitely deserves a much closer look.

It is very solidly built. The glass looked quite good. I liked the knobs too. They are claiming that reticle illumination produces zero forward emissions.

The type of rifle this scope will go on is not too light to start with, so I am not convinced weight is a big deal. Price is a big deal, but without testing the scope I can not tell whether it is worth it or not.

As far as the SRS goes, I liked that one too, although I am generally not a fan of full size red dots.

ILya