• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New, trouble deciding on first long range setup

fifdynutz

Pasture Poodle
Minuteman
May 5, 2020
Iowa
Hi guys, i have been reading a researching for a while and decided my best course of action would be to directly post and get some opinions on my first larger bolt action long range setup. I have many different firearms but my largest is a .243. For my bachelor party this year my best man is setting up a get together at a long range shooting club where we will have access to 1000yds. So of course, i need to put together something to compete. This gun will be used for occasional 600-1000yd benchrest duty, but will also likely be used in very long range coyote hunting setups day/night off a clamping tripod the most, and will eventually be suppressed for this. I am definitely requiring sub MOA accuracy but i am not doing any real competitions by any means. i am not very concerned with weight, and I run about 50/50 box ammo and my own hand loads depending on what i am doing. I will likely be putting a Vortex Viper PST 6-24 FFP scope on it with precision matched rings, and a magpul bipod. I have landed on 6.5 creedmoor as the cartridge and have come up with a new options for the firearm. What are your opinons on these options, and what should i choose given these details? or is there something else you would recommend? Thanks in advance

1. Ruger Precision Rifle 24" in 6.5 cm

2. Ruger LRT 26" in 6.5cm

3. Ruger american hunter 20"in 6.5cm

4. Remington 700 magpul 22" in 6.5cm

5. Remington 700 PCR 24" in 6.5cm

id like to stay around 1200 or less for the rifle only
Ok then id say my recommendation would be the RPR for that price point. The PRS Production class overall points Champ last year used a RPR, just saying🤙

-Reagan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200505-114126_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20200505-114126_Samsung Internet.jpg
    235.8 KB · Views: 46
Reactions: EN2722
I second Steel Head’s opinion on looking into Tikka options.

The Tikka Tac A1 would be out your price range but the Tikka CTR would be a great choice. Shoot it as is then you can pair it with a KRG bravo or stock/chassis of choice later on.

Nothing particularly wrong with the RPR and out of your listed options that would be my choice. I have been behind a few of them and while they are decent rifles the tikkas seem much more refined. Fit and finish on them left a little to be desired and I would bet your average CTR shoots better than your average RPR based off of what I have seen.

I second Steel Head’s opinion on looking into Tikka options.

The Tikka Tac A1 would be out your price range but the Tikka CTR would be a great choice. Shoot it as is then you can pair it with a KRG bravo or stock/chassis of choice later on.

Nothing particularly wrong with the RPR and out of your listed options that would be my choice. I have been behind a few of them and while they are decent rifles the tikkas seem much more refined. Fit and finish on them left a little to be desired and I would bet your average CTR shoots better than your average RPR based off of what I have seen.
Tikkas are really nice and if the Op said he had a 1500 to 1800 budget i wouldve suggested the same thing. The CTR tho, most that have them upgrade the stock, so that puts the Op back at the 1500 dollar range roughly. Yes I agree, for the Op if you spend more you will get more, but thats not in the budget mentioned.

-Reagan

im certainly leaning towards the RPR so far but i am not against building something either, i am generally a tinkerer once i get a new setup. I will look into the CTR for sure

. " I have many different firearms but my largest is a .243"
What rifle is the 243 ?
What other rifles do you own that have a .473" {308} size bolt ?
Unless you just want to spend the $1200.00

I was leaning towards a Tikka when Palmetto put the RPRs on sale.....
So I got one. I’ll end up with a Tikka, then something else, then something else.
I ‘ve noticed a pattern over the past 50 years of buying firearms. LOL
I am not on “my last one” yet.

Go RPR. They are a solid gun with quite a bit of aftermarket support. Tikka/Beretta customer service is not good in my experience. Ruger on the other hand is very good. For that reason I won’t spend my money with them

. " I have many different firearms but my largest is a .243"
What rifle is the 243 ?
What other rifles do you own that have a .473" {308} size bolt ?
Unless you just want to spend the $1200.00

the .243 is a belgium browning BAR that i got passed down, i want to keep it in original form. I have a 22-250 m77 i have set up for hunting as well but its a lightweight profile deal

Tikka CTR, much nicer action and trigger, put in in a bravo or other chassis. While the RPR is a solid choice I don't care for the buttstock on them.

The Tikka ends up being a way better rifle than the RPR. I give a vote for a tikka CTR and drop it in a KRG Bravo stock.

Scott

Reactions: lou400a
Just a quick snapshot of Savage Factory offerings that span a price range, and feature a 6.5 Creedmore chambering.

One surprising offering is the Axis II Precision. It's at least worth giving it a look.

Originally offered as a bottom dollar budget hunting rifle, the Axis had all of the cheapo rifle objections. But over time it has matured quite a bit, and is likely to be an affordable way to get started on the goals you mention.

Greg

Last edited:
Can’t comment on the Tikka option as I’ve never owned one. I have to say I’m a big fan of the RPR. Picked up my 6.5CM a few years ago. Started to tinker with it almost immediately.

- Polished the bolt body to get rid of the “zipper” feeling when cycling. Now its buttery
- Added MPA EVG grip
- Timney two stage flat trigger with the MPA grip is tits
- Henderson RRS dovetail rail
- Wiebad cheek pad
- cycles like a champ using metal aics mags, pmag ai and ar10 mags. Supposedly you can also use m1a mags
- easy barrel changes with ar15 wrench and headspace gauges.

I’ve shot it in a few matches and its never held me back. Liked it so much I picked up the .223 version and moded the same way. I shoot R700’s, Impact 737 in MPA chassis and now AIAX. I wont be getting rid of my RPR’s. Next for it will be a new barrel (undecided on from who) in 6.5CM maybe 20”-22”.

At the end of the day I think its all personal preference. That said, I know people also love their Tikkas and for good reason from what I’ve read. Have fun shopping OP.
71546B36-4095-4D1A-85B4-8D5281CA0B40.jpeg

gorgeous piece there! do you prefer the more vertical grip even with the factory trigger?

Just a quick snapshot of Savage Factory offerings that span a price range, and feature a 6.5 Creedmore chambering.

One surprising offering is the Axis II Precision. It's at least worth giving it a look.

Originally offered as a bottom dollar budget hunting rifle, the Axis had all of the cheapo rifle objections. But over time it has matured quite a bit, and is likely to be an affordable way to get started on the goals you mention.

Greg

that axis II is intriguing! i'll have to research how it shoots

gorgeous piece there! do you prefer the more vertical grip even with the factory trigger?

The MPA grip alone was a huge improvement for me with the factory trigger. When I combined it with the Timney trigger i was sold. Bought the same grip and triggers for my 223 RPR and RPR rimfire.

That combo both made me a fan of 2 stage triggers and that grip. Thats why when I was building a custom on the 737r I put it in an MPA chassis with a BnA tac sport pro two stage with a straight shoe. Love it.

My Axis II is a 30-06 Deer Gun. It was awful when I first got it, just after Savage upgraded the basic Axis to the Axis II.

But I adjusted the trigger, replaced the scope base with an EGW steel 20MOA item, and then completely transformed the awkward ergonomics with this simple upgrade.

The original design is sound, but the fiddly bits weren't stellar. The rifle design has evolved and become something I don't at all mind carrying in the woods. It's also surprisingly lightweight, on a par with my previous Win 70 30-06 Featherweight.

I have long been a Savage fan(boy?) and my only custom bolt rifle is built on a 2001 10FP. The Axis II Precision is new to me, but as you say, it's intriguing. Like the other Savage rifles, the Savage Pre-Fit Barrels can be used. It would be a simple matter for me to put my Ghost Dancer's Lothar-Walther 28" 260 Remington barrel onto of one of these. If my memory serves, this is a pretty new offering so performance info may be sparse.

I've been working on Savage-based project rifles here at SH for nearly two decades; I'll stay with them. In addition to the original SH Ghost Dancer 260 mentioned above, I also have a pair (223 and 308) of entry level F T/R rifles based on the Savage 11FV.

The Axis II Precision looks like it's poised to carve its own new economy precision niche. At prices like this, an additional 223 version could be an affordable trainer with identical controls and fit. Yes, it's out of stock in most places right now; but so is just about everything else for now, too.

My understanding is that Chassis (plural) in general use a standard AR grip interface, and any grip that fits an AR fits the chassis as well. I use this grip on my AR's; I suggest the FDE version to coordinate with the OD Green chassis; but the stock has black in it and the grip is also available in black. Luth-AR has some other interesting items and bits that might be helpful in your LR startup.

The 2.5-6lb trigger pull should not be disturbing. Going below a 2.5lb trigger pull weight on a rifle intended for field use is inadvisable, and I have also found that 2.5lb on a precision gun is just fine (for me).

Greg

Last edited:
We have had a good many Ruger Percision Creedmoor‘s come to are range and they all shot really well

After careful consideration, I purchased a Howa 1500 6.5 CM in an Oryx chassis. Under 950 tax and shipping. I really like Ruger but the street price on them is 3-500 more than the Howa. Howa guarantees sub-MOA so I took the savings and bought a used Vortex Razor AMG. I have no doubt the gun will out shoot me.

I bought a Tikka T3X Varmint with bull barrel, had a local gun smith thread it, then dropped into a KRG Bravo stock. That is a technique.

If it were me i'd buy a 6.5cm CTR for 850ish then put it in a KRG Bravo. You would be right around 1200 all in and have a 1/2moa gun that will make you smile everytime you pull the trigger and cycle the bolt.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I was going to suggest the defacto barreled action from ultimatum precision in a Bravo but you said you order the RPR already.

I shoot a RPR and Tikka Tac A1 frequently together. The finish on the tikka feels a few hundred bucks more expensive, but I definitely prefer the design of the RPR. Either one will shoot lights out with good ammo.

If I had it to do all over again I’d still get the RPR and better glass over the Tikka. Add a heavier bolt shroud and it’s really nice.

I would go Tikka CTR. I have had 4 T3s and they all shoot lights out.

Finally got it put together and all settled in, put 20 rounds through it total with 100yd zero and this was my 3rd group of 3 groups...pretty damn happy with it so far. This was off a platform on the back of my sxs as well!

Attachments

• 20200521_184536.jpg
    20200521_184536.jpg
    457 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200521_190519.jpg
    20200521_190519.jpg
    398.1 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200521_190535.jpg
    20200521_190535.jpg
    444.6 KB · Views: 29