• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New tv/4k for mom and dad

atepointer

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Nov 20, 2018
    Mom and dad need a new one they have a 10 year old 70" that is giving up the ghost. Is 4k going to be a thing may as well get that now or pass? Their provider has a few 4k channels, but nothing they watch so thinking no on 4k? I am not a huge tv watcher so I don't keep up on these techie advancements I think my Vizio is coming up on 10 years as well(although I become a couch veggie during Olympics can't wait!). We do know that the 70" seems to work nicely for the distance they sit from the tube. They had some techie maven measure the distance from their head to the screen years ago and their Vizio has been great....anyway just wanted to know the best quality names, pieces of junk to stay away from etc on the hide vs paid web page reviewers. Thanks tv pros.

'We don't watch tv it's junk we stopped years ago you should too!'. Ok that ones out of the way...

Last edited:
    I had a Samsung 65 inch curved 4K once( somehow it fell off the tv stand). It was a really nice picture and the curve helped with sitting to the sides of it. Look for one with a good refresh rate, that will help with any possible picture blur during any action scenes. Only real difference I could notice was with some blu-ray movies as far as picture quality that stood out.

whoa they make a curved tv? i was actually looking at some curved monitors for my office after a thread a couple of weeks ago. awesome will have them check that out. thanks!

I have a 32 inch curved monitor for the desktop computer. Very cool things indeed, and take some getting used to. The curved tv was a cool idea to me and it worked well until it broke.

I dont know that you can even buy a tv that isnt 4k anymore.

If I didnt want to pop the money for a higher end Samsung I would buy a TCL of some flavor. Lots of technology for a good price.

Oh wow great idea thanks I didn't think of that....they use costco and have one fairly close to the house.

Costco for decent prices on the newer tech TVs PLUS their protection plan give you like 5 years of coverage.

After looking around for a family friend it seems it's a toss up. Going north of $1k for the unit gives you great to OMG awesome picture. Staying under $1k you get a great TV with plenty of features.

LG, VIZIO are good units in their higher end TVs. Same with Samsung and Sony but you tend to pay a little more.

Make sure to compare pricing for the next size up TV. You might find a good deal as long as your wall can fit that size.

I bought a 4k 65" Samsung back in May, 8000 Series LED Crystal UHD for $800. The picture is amazing, but the built in speakers suck...So I also bought a Samsung sound bar and subwoofer ($250 on sale, normally $400). Really happy with it.

We had a 10 year old 60" plasma, nothing really wrong with it, but it wouldn't play new movies....something about not being compatible with "anti piracy" HDMI...so it went upstairs to my daughter's room, she doesn't really use it, but no reason to throw it away.

Last two tv's have been LG, they have been pretty good

Might be able to pick up a TV for a good deal after the Olympics are over. Usually after the super bowl bestbuy has good open box deals on returns, got a nice 75” 4k LG that way this year

Good stuff thanks guys I guess the 4k thing is on and maybe a curved. Was the curve a big deal to get used to or is it simply a better experience for anyone who looks at it and this is the way all tv sets will go?

Have a Samsung 65" with soundbar, works good, nice clear picture for our purposes, both of us are mid-late 60's. We have sat TV hooked up, no issues.

Good stuff thanks guys I guess the 4k thing is on and maybe a curved. Was the curve a big deal to get used to or is it simply a better experience for anyone who looks at it and this is the way all tv sets will go?
    Curved was an upgrade for us because we got rid of a plasma which were notoriously bad for blacking out at any angle viewing. The LED tv takes care of that issue for the most part in my experience. The curve just made the viewing quality easier in my eyes.

Costco is definitely the way to go. Their return policy is top notch if you have an issue and their prices are usually better than anywhere else.

All my tv's are Samsung 4K and I love them. You can go to Costco but your best bet might be to go to Best Buy and look for a Clearance or one that somebody brought back you can save a couple of hundred dollars

Plus if you go with a Samsung and your parents have Spectrum cable they won't need to pay for a box

This. Got a Samsung 75in 8000 series about 1.5 years ago. Couldn't be happier. Cut the box and use the Spectrum app.

The TV, at least to me, has a fantastic picture. But for full disclosure, the 75in replaced an 18 year old 50in Sony tabletop projection for the home theater room, so....

I have another Samsung 32in that is about 10 years old that cost nearly as much as the 75in...sheesh. But the 32in is still kicking and hasn't had a single issue.

My folks had a Vizio, it died within about 1.5 years. Then they had a LG that died within 2 years, so I bought them a Samsung...

As above already mentioned the current speakers on just about any new TV will suck. Expect to buy a soundbar or soundbar/subwoofer combo to get the sound right.

Speaking to the "built in" speakers or a soundbar. Yes, the TV built in speakers work, but not to a point where one would enjoy the show or movie. Adding a soundbar makes it 1000% better. Just $.02......

Not a fan of soundbars at all. You can get decent speakers pretty cheap nowadays that'll blow the doors off of any soundbar at any price. A sleek soundbar might fit into the room decor nicely, but you can only do so much with 3" full range drivers and a cabinet with virtually zero internal volume. They're like engines... there's no replacement for displacement. You can throw tens of thousands of dollars into a vtec and you'll probably still get burned by a small block with bolt ons. Same with speakers.

Reactions: OldSalty2
    We just bought a 85" Samsung Q90A that has an awesome picture. Better than our 75" Sony. We paired the Samsung with a Denton sound system and it really is pretty awesome.
    I've had a lot of LGs in recent years and have really liked them. Was thinking of getting the OLED which are really nice but the Samsung was considerably better for our situation.

I have a 65" 4k Samsung along with a soundbar. 4k is definitely a lot better if your provider has it. I don't have "tv" service, I stream from Netflix, Amazon, YouTube - and once a year or so a rental BlueRay disc. The difference between "regular" 1080 and 4k is very noticeable.

Plus, as also stated above, I doubt you could find a TV that isn't 4k unless you really scrape the bottom of the barrel.

Oh, and Costco all the way. Plus, curved TV's suck.