• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

New (unofficial) URSA record at 2502 Yards

BillyGoatMachine

07FFL/SOT
Supporter
Minuteman
DISCLAIMER.............

THERE IS NOTHING OFFICIAL ABOUT THIS POST, EXCEPT WHAT MY BRAIN RECORDED INTO MEMORY AT THE OFFICIAL EVENT.....

URSA shooter and Snipershide member RickyRacer87 broke the club member/shooter "UNOFFICIAL" record at 2502 Yards on a 37" target with 6 out of 10 hits in 5-10 mph winds. It won't be recorded into record (ITS UNOFFICIAL) because this string of fire was shot after the match in a "fun" shoot competition, completely unofficial. He was shooting a 338 Lapua Magnum Improved chamber on a Defiance Deviant action and a 31.5" long Bartlein, 1.25" straight barrel. Pretty impressive as the previous "UNOFFICIAL" record is 5 out of 10 with a 375CT. While not as impressive as the guy shooting without any arms at 3 miles, which was an official record, this was still pretty cool!!

It's the new "UNOFFICIAL" record in my book Doug!

fegeCtm.jpg

Last edited:
The above post is incorrect.

1. URSA does not have records.
2. The closest to records is a series of "Achievement levels/progression/targets" - see near the top of https://www.unlimitedrange.org/operations.html ALL achievement point are earned during competition. The above shooting was done after the conclusion of the URSA 3000 Yard Challenge (2021) event on April 18, 2021.

Pretty cool, yes, a record, no.

Reactions: LastShot300
URSA shooter and Snipershide member RickyRacer87 broke the club record at 2502 Yards on a 37" target with 6 out of 10 hits in 5-10 mph winds. He was shooting a 338 Lapua Magnum Improved chamber on a Defiance Deviant action and a 31.5" long Bartlein, 1.25" straight barrel. Pretty impressive as the last record of 5 out of 10 has held for the past 3 years with a .375CT until this last weekend. While not as impressive as the guy shooting without any arms at 3 miles, this was still pretty cool!!

fegeCtm.jpg
What bullet?

Hi,

I do not think Oscar is "disputing" the situation.

He is lining out that HIS organization (URSA) in which this was done under does not do the "Record" thing buy yet HIS organization does "Achievement" levels.

All he was attempting to do is get that information in before the whole "record" debacles even begin.

Sincerely,
Theis

Heck of an achievement then!

If we want to get particular, it has been posted online and has been recorded. Therefore it could be called a record too😂. But he had to achieve it in the first place for it to be recorded... I'll just stay in my lane haha

Lol. And, they said PRS shooters were a bunch of whiny bitches. Seems ELR will at least give them a run for the money.

I just talked to Phillip, and as I understand it RickyRacer87 is now eligible for the URSA prize money because he smashed the previous record...:ROFLMAO:
This reminds me of some of the unsanctioned wrestling matches between the LPWA and the GLOW.
wrestling_japanese_girls_08.gif

Not trying to troll, but do skips/debris getting thrown into the target count? It's pretty clear that the 2nd shot (first impact called) hits low and left of target and then skips back and hits on the bank behind the target. If you didn't have cameras up and going on the indicator light (if it lights, it bites) I understand. Just wondering if that's accounted for? I've never gone 5/10 at almost 1.5mi, but I do shoot further than that often and we have to use cameras to see anything even at a mile when the winds are up here in west Texas with the heat/mirage. Awesome shooting sir!

Not trying to troll, but do skips/debris getting thrown into the target count? It's pretty clear that the 2nd shot (first impact called) hits low and left of target and then skips back and hits on the bank behind the target. If you didn't have cameras up and going on the indicator light (if it lights, it bites) I understand. Just wondering if that's accounted for? I've never gone 5/10 at almost 1.5mi, but I do shoot further than that often and we have to use cameras to see anything even at a mile when the winds are up here in west Texas with the heat/mirage. Awesome shooting sir!
Well to answer the first question. During official matches as long as the light goes of that counts as a hit.
As far as the second part, I also had my doubts about the first hit but after looking at the gong at the end of the day i am confident of the first hit. There was a hit on the very edge of the target at approximately 11:00 positions and would explain the impact on the bank up and to the left behind the gong. The small puff that is seen below the gong is common during impacts with the steel. During all the hits you will see the splash on the ground below the steel and the first shot it is very little and looks like a bounce but there is very little dust as would be from the splash from hitting the steel. The misses on the other hand had large amounts of dust from direct hits onto the ground.
I’ve watched the high res video and will post it later and definitely was a hit 👍🏻

Last edited:
Well to answer the first question. During official matches as long as the light goes of that counts as a hit.
As far as the second part, I also had my doubts about the first hit but after looking at the gong at the end of the day i am confident of the first hit. There was a hit on the very edge of the target at approximately 11:00 positions and would explain the impact on the bank up and to the left behind the gong. The small puff that is seen below the gong is common during impacts with the steel. During all the hits you will see the splash on the ground below the steel and the first shot it is very little and looks like a bounce but there is very little dust as would be from the splash from hitting the steel. The misses on the other hand had large amounts of dust from direct hits onto the ground.
I’ve watched the high res video and will post it later and definitely was a hit 👍🏻
Re skips counting (during a match), the answer is a definite no. The match director is the final arbiter on whether a shot is a hit or a miss.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyGoatMachine
I watched it on an 86" screen a few times and you can see the puff at 11:00 on the target if you watch it enough times with enough resolution. I thought it might have been a strike off the target stand, but it wasn't. The biggest piece of the bullet hits the upper berm to the upper left, a smaller piece just above the strike, and another small piece below the target.

The berm below the target is pretty steep. The chances of a skip up are really low. The target does deflect bullet spatter down though.

That second shot also looks like a near over correction from the first shot, it's on a line through the center of the target when you connect it to the first shot.

I liked that footage enough that I bought one of those cameras.

I watched it on an 86" screen a few times and you can see the puff at 11:00 on the target if you watch it enough times with enough resolution. I thought it might have been a strike off the target stand, but it wasn't. The biggest piece of the bullet hits the upper berm to the upper left, a smaller piece just above the strike, and another small piece below the target.

The berm below the target is pretty steep. The chances of a skip up are really low. The target does deflect bullet spatter down though.

That second shot also looks like a near over correction from the first shot, it's on a line through the center of the target when you connect it to the first shot.

I liked that footage enough that I bought one of those cameras.
That video is only 1080p because the file size would have been huge to upload in 4K. And yes the camera has been a good purchase and I’m glad I had it for that match especially. I’m sure it will come n handy for many things.
Here is a close up that I've done some enhancing too. You can see fragment hits about 5-1/2 minutes right and about 2 minutes below the gong.

Last edited:
Reactions: BillyGoatMachine
Question:
Why don't they have a camera placed near the target; then there won't be any questions.

Longshot LR-3 Gen 3 Long Range 2 Mile​

Well it’s not that there is any doubt that I got 6/10 hits at that distance. It’s that it wasn’t during an Official Match and that URSA doesn’t actually acknowledge hits out of ten. They have an achievement points system that they use for achievements and classing of shooters.

No, I wasn't doubting you. I just saw the video of the camera used. I was just wondering why they don't have something that has the target picture more clear, so a person/judge could actually see the steel (like it was 4 feet away).
Heck, with all the tech, they could record each shooters attempt and send them a video; so they can share with friends (or not) :)

No, I wasn't doubting you. I just saw the video of the camera used. I was just wondering why they don't have something that has the target picture more clear, so a person/judge could actually see the steel (like it was 4 feet away).
Heck, with all the tech, they could record each shooters attempt and send them a video; so they can share with friends (or not) :)
Hm...noting the bolded Longshot ad line below your post, I'm wondering if "your company" is a paid sponsor of this site? If not, please sign up.

BTW, we've done just fine with the gear we have used for the past seven years, i.e., from day one. And we have multiple spares. Also BTW, you may not be aware that there is NO income generated at our events (NO fees or other "charges", whatsoever), so it would be really hard to seriously consider going to "newer tech" when all has been going well for so long. Of course...we would then have all the fun of arguing about what we were seeing on the video (displayed and captured for posterity on that computer we currently have no need for)...you know, the "discussions" those other groups have. Currently a hard pass.

Hm...noting the bolded Longshot ad line below your post, I'm wondering if "your company" is a paid sponsor of this site? If not, please sign up.

BTW, we've done just fine with the gear we have used for the past seven years, i.e., from day one. And we have multiple spares. Also BTW, you may not be aware that there is NO income generated at our events (NO fees or other "charges", whatsoever), so it would be really hard to seriously consider going to "newer tech" when all has been going well for so long. Of course...we would then have all the fun of arguing about what we were seeing on the video (displayed and captured for posterity on that computer we currently have no need for)...you know, the "discussions" those other groups have. Currently a hard pass.
LOL, not a paid contributor, just a lazy person who uses 'copy and paste'; blame midway.
Thanks for the info. Lots of interesting stuff.:)