• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Night Vision New Uns 30 and scar 17 as host

Proarc

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 31, 2010
North FL
The scar 17 has a little rep for being hard on scopes. I am running a Elcan 1.5-6 on mine with a thunder beast suppressor. What I would like to use is the uns 30 clip on with the elcan. I am concerned that the recoil might be to excessive for the tube and damage it. Mainly shooting hogs at 100-150 yds so the 6 power will work well. Just not sure what kind of recoil mitigation the 30 has. Looking for you guys expert opinions.

Should be fine. Let’s see what others have to say

The PVS30 is rated up to 50BMG. I have put about 110 rounds through my 338LM with the 30 on top with no ill effects.

I'm going to bet that you will be fine.
reach out to your retailer and pose this questions and ask them about warranty under this use.

I'm going to be honest, I don't have any solid data to say "don't do it" but I can tell you if it was my UNS there is no way I'd mount it on a 17. I've been running Mk17s off and on for work since 2012 and I've seen a number of ACOGs Nightforces and Leupolds shaken to death. I don't think its so much the recoil but the impulse frequency in the receiver. As stated above the 30 is rated for 50BMG but again other than the Elcans I wouldn't risk it.

I'm going to be honest, I don't have any solid data to say "don't do it" but I can tell you if it was my UNS there is no way I'd mount it on a 17. I've been running Mk17s off and on for work since 2012 and I've seen a number of ACOGs Nightforces and Leupolds shaken to death. I don't think its so much the recoil but the impulse frequency in the receiver. As stated above the 30 is rated for 50BMG but again other than the Elcans I wouldn't risk it.

Surprising how many different answers I've received on this question that you would think would be a very simple question to answer. Many subject matter expert's totally disagree with each other on mounting the uns on a scar. So far I've held off, I can't afford to tear up good gear. A definitive answer sure would be nice

What models failed and what were the failures? I thought Nightforces were Scar proof

The Nightforce I personal broke on the SCAR was an NXS 3.5-15x50 F1, long story short, elevation stopped tracking. Also when through 2 TA31RCO-M150CP, before I realized what was up, both wouldn't hold a zero on that rifle. Also had a Leupold Mk4 3-9 MRT M2 which wouldn't stay put in the mounts, keep rotating in the rings and the setscrews on the elvetion turret waked out and it fell off. I'd trust any off those scopes with my life...just not mounted on a SCAR. As I siad before the Elcan Spector DR is about the only thing that I trust on a SCAR.

If it’s under warranty run it! Why not. I’d run mine on a m60 if I had one. They will cover it for recoil under the 1 year warranty. The worst thing that could happen is you would ruin your tube and they would have to put in a new one. The best case scenario would be you would ruin your tube and they would put in a brand new one lol